Ih 901 paint

redtop1460

Some automotive paint stores can order you a spray can of automotive grade paint in the custom color of your choice.  Look around.  It is not a catalysed grade of paint, but it is better than regular spray paint.

• 1 year later...

935 WHITE was not introduced until 1970 with the IH 1456 and 826.
All tractors prior used 901 WHITE.
902 WHITE was used on EQUIPMENT during this period of time.

901 WHITE will have just a hint of green cast. (Rustoleum Canvas)
902 WHITE is a lighter hue.
935 WHITE will be on the creamy side. (Rustoleum Almond or Valspar IH White)

The only problem with an aerosol paint is a lack of hardener. And if its exposed to a lot of sun light it will fade and become chalky.  I think we have all seen the pink Farmalls or Allis tractors that had one time had a shiny Red/orange finish then faded by UV light. Gallon paint will do the same if no hardener is added.

I can't imagine a single spray can of custom mixed #901 IH white would be cheap.  I think I would buy a quart of custom mixed 901 in the paint of your choice,  buy a Harbor Freight HVLP detail spray gun, and mix your hardener in and spray everything you want that way.

My CC #70 should have had #901 white hood, but my local automotive paint shop couldn't find the formula, so we picked a special Ford Mustang GT racing stripe white,  no, not Wimbledon White, it was base coat/clear coat, and we put the hardener in the clear.  We bought some mixing cups strainers, and the bill came to over $200.  

What's sad, that quart of paint wasn't the expensive part of that hood!  Dad always used to say "a welding electrode holder was a dangerous weapon in some people's hands".  But Dad could REALLY weld!  But somebody should have taken his corded and cordless drills away from him. I bet SON welded 20-30 holes shut on that hood! A Cub Cadet hood isn't that big!

My local PPG dealer mixed me an aerosol can of 901 white.   Upon leaving the store it appeared to be too almond or beige in color.  After spraying the color appeared to turn lighter and it looks good.  My eyes cannot detect the supposedly green tint.  We all know there is no hardener in aerosol paint but I sprayed clear  as the final coat.

P1010075.JPG