Sign in to follow this  
Loadstar

Red River Special

I didn't want to interrupt the steam class over on Gary's IH tractors on Montana farm thread so I'll just post this threshing machine picture here. It was such a nice quiet morning that I took the drone up about 7:30 this morning while the fog still hung in the low spots. That old Red River Special threshing machine on the hill in the pasture is always a good photos subject. Otherwise its just boring landscape. 

MAX_0114.JPG

7 hours ago, Loadstar said:

so I'll just post this threshing machine picture here

I see that they stowed the straw spreader pipe but they didn't fold up the feeder before they left it.

best, randy

26 minutes ago, Randy Sohn said:

I see that they stowed the straw spreader pipe but they didn't fold up the feeder before they left it.

best, randy

I think that feeder is safer in the up position. It folds down for transport I think. That would put it in prime position for my cattle to rub on it and eventually destroy it. They are always looking for a scratching post and old machinery works for them. 

Nice pic!  But sure nuff cold looking!!  :-)

3 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Nice pic!  But sure nuff cold looking!!  :-)

I guess by Texas standards +10F might be considered cold. But anytime I can run the drone for 10 minutes without freezing my fingers in March, its not a cold day. The sun was shining and no wind, which makes all the difference. The real cold is coming in the next few days. Supposed to get well below zero they say. 

Morning yard Mar 27 (1 of 1).jpg

Nice shot. Do you ru. A filter for those sun shots? Beautiful looking outside right now. If I don't go to town I think I'm going to fire up thebsked and go for a ride.  Much nicer riding when it's a little cooler out. 

2 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Nice shot. Do you ru. A filter for those sun shots? Beautiful looking outside right now. If I don't go to town I think I'm going to fire up thebsked and go for a ride.  Much nicer riding when it's a little cooler out. 

Yes, good sledding today at these cooler temps. Still enough snow too although by the time I get my old Sno Jet running again the snow will all be gone.:-)  I edited that photo a bit using the adobe photoshop lightroom program. It can really bring out the best in an ordinary picture. Although the drone camera does a pretty good job. Nice sharp video too. 

16 hours ago, Loadstar said:

I think that feeder is safer in the up position. It folds down for transport I think. That would put it in prime position for my cattle to rub on it and eventually destroy it. They are always looking for a scratching post and old machinery works for them. 

Ya'konw, now that you've mentioned it, I believe that you're right!  You brought back some memories here - 1 - steers with "grubs" in their hides rubbing/scratching against some surfaces and 2 - "bundleracks" (wagons) pulled by horseteams  alongside that feeder and pitching oat bundlesi onto that threshing machine's feeder.

best, randy 

31 minutes ago, Randy Sohn said:

Ya'konw, now that you've mentioned it, I believe that you're right!  You brought back some memories here - 1 - steers with "grubs" in their hides rubbing/scratching against some surfaces and 2 - "bundleracks" (wagons) pulled by horseteams  alongside that feeder and pitching oat bundlesi onto that threshing machine's feeder.

best, randy 

I was a little late getting on the "ivermectin" band wagon but that stuff is supposed to take care of all the itchy and scratchy parasites on cattle. 

The closest I ever got to actual threshing was at demonstrations. I used the Cockshutt 50 to run a Case threshing machine last summer when they put on a demontration and needed a tractor with a belt pulley. I don't have a picture of it handy but there is some video. 

2 hours ago, Loadstar said:

needed a tractor with a belt pulley.

Liked looking at that photo, wondered where the cross was in the belt, also looked like the belt needed a little bit more tension.  Remember the first one I was around or saw was a steam engine of Stanley Gregory's and how the pebbles on the graveled road south of Lake Park, Iowa crunched and flew out under its front axle while coming down the road to our farm.  That would'a been about 1943 or 44 cuz we moved in 45 and bought an Intl. 62 combine.

best, randy

13 minutes ago, Art From DeLeon said:

They'll rub against anything when they get to shedding their winter hair.

Ho-boy, concur!

best, randy

52 minutes ago, Randy Sohn said:

Liked looking at that photo, wondered where the cross was in the belt, also looked like the belt needed a little bit more tension.  Remember the first one I was around or saw was a steam engine of Stanley Gregory's and how the pebbles on the graveled road south of Lake Park, Iowa crunched and flew out under its front axle while coming down the road to our farm.  That would'a been about 1943 or 44 cuz we moved in 45 and bought an Intl. 62 combine.

best, randy

That belt looked a little loose alright but anytime I can hear the governor opening up on the 50 I know there can't be much, if any, belt slippage. 

3 hours ago, Loadstar said:

I was a little late getting on the "ivermectin" band wagon but that stuff is supposed to take care of all the itchy and scratchy parasites on cattle. 

The closest I ever got to actual threshing was at demonstrations. I used the Cockshutt 50 to run a Case threshing machine last summer when they put on a demontration and needed a tractor with a belt pulley. I don't have a picture of it handy but there is some video. 

I got in on the last of the threshing here in the neighbourhood.  I think my dad was the last to have a threshing machine.  If i remember right it was Case thresher and we ran it with a 'C' Case tractor.

3 hours ago, Loadstar said:

know there can't be much, if any, belt slippage. 

Concur, I wasn't thinking of belt slippage, just that my dad had taught me to back up until I'd lifted the belt off the ground, hold both brakes and then set the parking brake ratchets.  Lotta memories there!  Thanks again.

best, randy

7 hours ago, Randy Sohn said:

Lotta memories there!

Chuckle, all of a sudden found another memory , those rotating "knives" cutting the twine on the oats bundles as they entered the internal parts of the threshing machine from its feeder.

best, randy

I wish I had more history on this photo from the late 1940s. It was taken here in the yard but that is not the Red River Special machine as you can see Case right on the blower spout. My dad and uncle with some of the neighbours that were helping out. The Case must have belonged to a neighbour. 

Threshing Goffs, late 40s.JPG

1 hour ago, Loadstar said:

some of the neighbours that were helping out.

Great historical photo tho.  IIRC, the threshing machine of Stanley Gregory's was a Case also.  All the neighbors were involved, what they'd called the "threshing ring".  Wish that I knew how to put photos on here like that, have one of my cousins and me standing inside the monstruous rim of that stream engine's rear wheel.  And that photo also brought back memories of the guys all washing up at a water trough(sp?) for the big noonmeal the housewives had prepared.

best, randy

Is that Case Threshing machine still seating somewhere at a fence row? Here is a pic of the Threshing Machine World Record that was set in Austin Manitoba in 2016

004_02.thumb.jpg.7988d170450a6720141d1c5c0297039b.jpg