656IH

Smaller combines.

Do you guys have opinions on a good model of ih or other brand of combine I could use on my 20 acre hobby Farm? It could be self propelled or mechanical head pull type. I currently use a jd model 30. I would like to run corn someday too. Sure value the input, thanks.

I have had good luck with gleaners I had a F it got messed up and was able to it a f2 .  They are out there cheap. Problem is cheap ones are not advertised.  They are taking up shed space and they want them gone 

Not many small self propelled corn capable combines left . They have pretty well all been scrapped in my area. It is rare to see a 615 IH in this area now. Even the 715 which was at one time common in this area, doesn't exist in this area any more. The last 715's left about 20 years ago. Similarly Gleaner F and K combines. Same with 3300 and 4400 JDs.    

Gleaners. Cheap reliable easy to fix

the best small combines out there in my opinion I bought an old A for 800 bucks to cut 15 acres my first year

people say get custom, don’t listen. No custom guy cares about 20 acres and either won’t come or will require your firstborn as payment. 

I have a 1420 that I use but like one of the other guys said a 1460 is alittle bigger and parts are no problem . You can pick these older machines for not a lot of money and it easier than trying to get someone to come over for 20 acres when you can just do it yourself on your time . 

Danny 

We use a AC model 72 . It has a 35 bushel tank, so a lot of time used up unloading . No corn capabilities . 

The Gleaner F or F2 are well thought, as stated above. They can maneuver pretty good with the small grain head, in thight turn fields.  Look at  condition and belts. 

Good post ,has a lot of things you may want to consider. Our model ,got it cheap but in was and still is in need of repairs, that take a lot of time. 

For just small grains and only 20 acres your JD #30 is about as good as it gets.  Dad had one the last 3-4 years he farmed.  One year the ground was really wet but the oats were ready to combine.  We made some pretty good ruts in one wet spot,  some mud ended up going thru the combine.  Didn't really hurt anything but plugged the concaves and blew a lot of oats out the back.  About a 5 gallon bucket of ear corn tossed in the header an ear at a time knocked most of the dried mud out but one of the cobs wedged under one of the wooden slats on the straw conveyor,  broke a slat and wedged the conveyor in crossways,  took most of a full day to fix combine.  DO NOT combine corn with a JD #30 or #25 combine.  #25 is identicle to a 30 from the cylinder/concaves back.

An Allis-Chalmers All Crop is the only small combine that was available with a corn head to combine corn.  Maybe find a pull type picker and pick ear corn?

If your #30 is in good shape it would be worth good money.  Saw a guy try selling one that needed a month of work to get able to run and wanted $3000 for it.  $300 was more what it was worth.  REALLY rough machine.

New idea made a pull type sheller, and for some reason I’m thinking jd did as well but I could be wrong. If your current machine does well on grains, don’t replace it with a mystery machine that could need thousands in work 

I run a gleaner k on more acres than that. I paid $700 for it with both heads. Been using it for 5 yrs. it’s old and slow. I run a 3 row narrow head. 13’ bean head. It gobbles it up. Very easy to work on and adjust. It has a 250 Chevy engine that auto parts house carries most stuff for. (Starter, alternator, water pp, plugs, wires,etc) for 20 acres you can’t afford to keep a very expensive unit around. Parts are readily available. Also I started out with a new idea #10 one row corn picker. Still have it. 1500 would buy a nice one that you can pull with your littlest tractor and have ear corn available. Find you an old grinder mixer to grind feed and your set. 

We ran a couple 4400 jd for years. They were decent little combines and can be had for about scrap value around here.

#1 question is do you have a local dealer for parts support?   If so, see what you can find in that brand.  Ask the dealer.  They may know somebody in your area with a little old combine sitting in the back of a shed.   Make sure you find one with heads, as tracking down heads on some models is a pain.  All the following were good small combines.

Gleaner K, F

Massey 410

JD 4400 or 6600 

IH 1420-1460

How close are you to a combine salvage yard? Just go to one if you can and look around at the most common ones that you can scavenge parts from. I’m thinking gleaner f, Massey 410, ih 1420/1440 

4400 john deere parts are everywhere i started with a 10 years ago allis chalmers 66 then a gleaner E thought i was movin up with a gleaner k2 at the time i really wanted a F2! But k2 was cheap cheap cheap i do all my own mechanic work figure i will make it run well it burnt me on gleaners even thought my agco dealer was fantastic! Since i have hills i bought a jd 6620 side hill machine last year i hate geen but really didnt have a choice! But i like me 6620 so far! My buddy has a 4400 seems to be a good small machine! I never been around a international rotary so i couldnt say about them!

Awesome reply's Guys! Just what I needed. Thank you!

Gleaners are good we’ve had 3 f’s, a k,a g then went red had early and later 1460’s and 1666 and 6130 if you go red I know 40&60 series had less frame trouble in our area over a 20 but are a lot of those around gleaner would be the way I would lean get a gasser with the Chevy k 2 or 3 row narrow 10-13’ bean head ours had 10 easier if have to road everything just about is available only major thing was 2 of the 4 gear drives had to have machine work on variable trans drive pulley/shaft pretty easily taken out sent to machine shop and reinstalled I like red but economics to me say silver reseeder 😏

honestly with 20 acres i wouldn't even bother with a corn head. people use grain heads to harvest down corn all the time. it'll be hard on the knives. plugging can be an issue but if your auger is adjustable you should be able to alleviate that

W** is wrong with everyone? This is Red Power here... 1420 or 1620 should be recommended first by everyone. At the low end of the price range they are the best bang. 

I do agree on getting one for your self and not hiring someone. Your not farming if you "Just hire everything out". When it gets to that point just give up

3 hours ago, Rescue11 said:

W** is wrong with everyone? This is Red Power here... 1420 or 1620 should be recommended first by everyone. At the low end of the price range they are the best bang. 

I do agree on getting one for your self and not hiring someone. Your not farming if you "Just hire everything out". When it gets to that point just give up

The reason may be is that most parts for those are discontinued 

6 hours ago, Rescue11 said:

In our area a 1420 could run $5000 with heads and 1620 not many around and being a four row machine bring good money, that being said I can get a good gasser gleaner k or f under $3000 easy have seen a couple k for $1500 with both heads being they are a 2 row 3 max machine 1420 is a lot more combine size wise and even a 10’ head a long day you can do 20 acres of beans  if you can get grain away from combine a 1620 or 1420 would just begin to get warmed up and be put back in the shed if you are splitting that up even worse may not get a red run scoured in that time. Like o said I like the red ones but farming even as a hobby has to make economic sense and gleaner wins for this size farm

1440-60 will be cheaper than a 1420. 

Dad hired his 40 acres of beans combined the next to last year he farmed, hired same guy to combine everything his last year, 80 acres each corn & beans both.  Guy used a 4400 Deere. I wasn't around to help or watch but was only there a day first year, and less than a week second year.  Would have taken Dad five long days to just combine 80 acres of beans 2 rows at a time.

The '51 M got grain cart duty.  Grain cart was the Heider auger wagon, 90-100 bushel capacity.