mader656

Rant-why do people want you work for next to nothing

Got told my price on installing some fence was really expensive...1200 for about a weeks worth of work.( 600 feet. Of welded wire, the cheap $*** should have been a clue)  with all My tools...a guy has to charge more per hour than the average guy makes...

Got to keep tools working and replaced...guess that isn't something that has be charged for....ugh People. Guess the job that provides a paid bus ride to work has lots of expenses...

Rant over...

Ps $2 a foot is on the low end.

Guess they will get by without or do their own. You may get called back when they figure stuff out...

When they realize you were not that expensive they will call you back. 

There are people out there that don't care if you make money or not unfortunately. Most of the time those people are lonely and have no friends. 

Read in a trade rag once that you should get about one out of ten jobs you bid........ Heck I was getting every one.  That bretty much told Me I was too cheap.  

I do some backhoe stuff on bids. I really don't like doing stuff for most people. The fail to understand that a 14,000 pound backhoe is going to leave ruts but don't want to pay to repair the ruts, things like that. So I normally bid high enough that they leave me alone. Bid one a couple of years ago at 175 an hour and figured about 4 hours. Was surprised when they said OK. Got there, did the work, finished about 3 1/2 hours, they ask me to do some more. So another 3 hours later I'm done, they step up, pay cash and gave me a 100 buck tip. Found out they had screwed around with almost everyone else, slow paying, complaining about everything and no one would bid the job. They finally figured out they had to treat people right.

Rick

Don’t worry price conscious people who chisel for service  are usually slow at paying or demand money back for some slight problem.

21 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Don’t worry price conscious people who chisel for service  are usually slow at paying or demand money back for some slight problem.

IN my seven decades ,I have experienced the adage of:" you get what you pay for" , more then once.

dale560 is spot on in most cases also, I have acquaintances that want everything for nothing then complain a bout work and want discount. lol. 

Also , I have experienced  most guys that charge more, gets job done in time ,does not use inferior products, have more competent employees, and generally are more pleasant to be around.

Not saying , you don't have to inspect ,or correct , or change ,but it generally is positive.

When I sold the main ranch I sold my harvest equipment to one of my young employees. I told him," Sal, you cannot harvest every orchard ,charge what you need , pick and choose who you do , grow slowly, concentrate on doing good job , you'll have more business then you could ever do , then weed out the dead beats and chronic complainers ".  Easier said then done , but make it a focus of your business.

Tony

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Hate using cheap material...scratch that hate customer provided thinking saving money till the junk "saved" breaks down earlier....

Joy of self employment....

6 minutes ago, mader656 said:

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Hate using cheap material...scratch that hate customer provided thinking saving money till the junk "saved" breaks down earlier....

Joy of self employment....

Just make sure you have a signed agreement that there is no warranty work for owner provided materials and you are not responsible for inferior products.

Tony

9 minutes ago, tony in ca. said:

Just make sure you have a signed agreement that there is no warranty work for owner provided materials and you are not responsible for inferior products.

Tony

I do that even if I watched them buy the product at the same place I would have...

I won't put in a wood post I did not buy. The post driver is dangerous enough as it is Let alone a post that could be old and rotten.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly,  but you were going to charge $1200 to build 600 feet of fence.....and the customer was providing all the material?  All you had invested was your labor (and tools)

If so,   I think that is kind of high also.

41 minutes ago, Mark (EC,IN) said:

I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly,  but you were going to charge $1200 to build 600 feet of fence.....and the customer was providing all the material?  All you had invested was your labor (and tools)

I would agree if you were doing it with hand tools. But when you are going in with machinery like a tractor mounted post pounder or auger that machinery has to be paid for, repairs made and the machine eventually replaced. I charge 50 an hour for task I can do with a Ford 8N like back blade a drive or brush hog work with fuel being extra. Don't move anything bigger for less than 75 an hour. I pay myself 15 an hour and the rest goes in the bank against future repairs or potential replacement. And that 15 I pay myself? That goes up if anything requires me to get off the tractor. I'm hired on as an operator :o not a laborer:P!

When I find a newer, more expensive replacement for the 8Ns that price will go up!

Rick

1 hour ago, Mark (EC,IN) said:

6 h plus h braces to do the job right. It's a yard so nothing is in a straight line. I've had single post that have taken 45 minute to bang in. Hour away... Industry standard is 3 to 5 a foot...

Would be high for barb wire or 330 foot rolls...but 100 foot rolls suck.

12 hours ago, mader656 said:

Got told my price on installing some fence was really expensive...1200 for about a weeks worth of work.( 600 feet. Of welded wire, the cheap $*** should have been a clue)  with all My tools...a guy has to charge more per hour than the average guy makes...

Got to keep tools working and replaced...guess that isn't something that has be charged for....ugh People. Guess the job that provides a paid bus ride to work has lots of expenses...

Rant over...

Ps $2 a foot is on the low end.

Been through that plenty of times. Give them a price, they say so an so can do it for less, I tell them that's who you need to use. One of the saw mills I do work for furnishes the materials, I give them a list of what I need and they get it. The log wagons I am currently doing  Had a problem one time, their son-in-law got involved and tried to substitute 5/16 for 3/8 plate I needed. Rolled up and checked material, saw what he did told them when you get what I need call and I will come back.

99% of what I do is T&M, if they ask for a budget I will figure what it will take and add 50%. If they ask for a hard dollar price most of the time I price it by the pound for fabrication and it works well.

Pipe fence panels I figure 30- 45min. per joint, that is to cut, fit and weld on 2-3/8" and down.

Yep I feel for you, people see a welding machine and think you can save them money. Trailers and exhaust systems around here.  They don’t want a quality product, they want you to make chicken salad out of chicken crap for a penny 

just move on, you will be happier,

1 hour ago, mader656 said:

Would be high for barb wire or 330 foot rolls...but 100 foot rolls suck.

100 foot rolls, who are they marketing that to, the modern millennial with two chickens in his backyard?

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2009/05/why-backyard-chickens-are-a-trend/17682/

3 hours ago, Art From DeLeon said:

100 foot rolls, who are they marketing that to, the modern millennial with two chickens in his backyard?

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2009/05/why-backyard-chickens-are-a-trend/17682/

The 2x4meshes are used by the horse set and dogs...like hay can't be too heavy they can't move it...

Have you figured trip time , 5-2 hour round trips @ a minimum for travel ? That's not free...

Around here, anyone who brings equipment out to do a job is expecting to make $1000/day. Most tractor work is 50-100$/hr. Skilled trades are 80-100/hr. Neighbor paid $35,000 to put sheep wire around 75 acres and it took the fence company less than a week to do it.  Not that any of that applies to where you are, but I wouldn't apologize for what you are charging.  A good friend told me a long time ago, "you don't want people to ant you to work on their stuff because you are cheap, You want them to want you because you are good at what you do".  The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of low price has worn off.

Don't apologize and cut prices.  " The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of low price has worn off. " is right!

Had a guy take 3/4 of my butt off for the price on a 560 overhaul and it was not out of line.

He was smoking mad.

30 days later he was apologizing all over himself and buying me whiskey.

He said it was now a joy to drive and had not run that good when new.

1200 for THREE WEEKS?

Where do you live cause I got some work for you!

1 hour ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Around here, anyone who brings equipment out to do a job is expecting to make $1000/day. Most tractor work is 50-100$/hr. Skilled trades are 80-100/hr. Neighbor paid $35,000 to put sheep wire around 75 acres and it took the fence company less than a week to do it.  Not that any of that applies to where you are, but I wouldn't apologize for what you are charging.  A good friend told me a long time ago, "you don't want people to ant you to work on their stuff because you are cheap, You want them to want you because you are good at what you do".  The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of low price has worn off.

$2 per foot sounds very fair IMO.  Walk away...not worth it.

Here silage trucks are 110/, chopper 400/, welding shop 75/, Dairy guys 75/, if i could at least charge my cost i'd be estatic.  Dont feel bad you are trying to provide for your fam and future...I cant even do that now.

Relatives are the worst..    nuff said.

1 hour ago, oldtech said:

1200 for THREE WEEKS?

Where do you live cause I got some work for you!

x2