5488 Hydraulic Autosteer

ZG6E

10 minutes ago, T_Mattson said:

Thanks for the reply.  Where did you purchase that?  My searching never turns up any for sale in the USA.

Dakota fluid power in Watertown, SD.

• 6 months later...
On 1/9/2020 at 9:19 PM, ZG6E said:

Dakota fluid power in Watertown, SD.

Zach very interested in this system.  I have built and used the AOG GPS using the phiget motor and would like to convert to hydraulics.  Do you have more details on hook up and wiring of the coils?  Can I use the cytron motor driver for this.  Is it really as easy as putting in the 4 t's 2 off of orbital and 2 off of cylinder?  Are there any setting in AOG that would need changed from using the electric motor?  Thanks

You can use a cytron. Tie the grounds together and ground to the frame.  Then run MA to one coil and MB to the other. No code changes. If you don’t isolate the steering system hydraulics it will be sluggish due to being open center. 

thank you for quick response.  not real knowledgeable on hydraulics, please explain what is meant by and how to isolate steering system??  I thought I read in tractordata that the 5488 has a close center system? is this not true for the steering?  you have not installed a load sensor so if you manually turn wheel how will system react?  do you have to push steer switch to turn on and off?

• 2 weeks later...

No but if you want it to be able to react faster like for auto turn on a headland you will need one. It works good for line driving as is. When I get to a headland I just turn the wheel by hand to assist the steering. 

• 8 months later...

Another update on this. I built a second system to alleviate moving it so often between tractors.  I also set one up in my dads 7120 last year with a steer motor similar to an ez steer but I just ordered all the hydraulic valves, hoses, and fittings to upgrade it to full hydraulic. The cost on all of that was around $500. 

My rtk base has been functioning great and I often forget it’s even there until I need it. 

There is a new version (AgOpenGPS V5) that Brian just released this week that is better than ever.

I forgot to mention this program also offers section control for planters, air seeders, and sprayers and the hardware is pretty simple to build. 

4FE90A8B-0B0E-48BF-8732-DBA57BF9F443.jpeg

B4AE4AAB-4C70-4E94-B9B2-615505E2803C.jpeg

• Like 2

Cool

I just dont see having time to get it all together and then install and get operating.  The reason the box systems are $ it the hrs guys like Zach put into them so us neanderthals can plug em in and go?

The 8930 would be cool for 2000 bucks though!

• 2 weeks later...

Pardon the mess as this one was kind of experimental but here is sprayer GPS section control for $20. I’ll put it in a much nicer box and ditch the wire nuts later.  It’s a $13 arduino uno and a $7 relay shield to fit it. I only have 3 sections on my sprayer but theoretically with more relays I could control up to 16 sections.   I sprayed all day with it last week and it works great. I sure like it better than flipping switches.  It’s far more accurate than guessing too!

10D9207E-AB14-4554-ABD4-729AFC38FF6C.jpeg

4D500211-2E31-41AA-ABF3-337B37F8B4EE.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cool1566 said:

Do you have training in electronics? You being able to put together your own auto steer and section control is absolutely amazing in my book! 

I went to a year of college for industrial electronics before joining the military. I had a couple pretty basic electronics and circuitry classes in that time but much of this stuff is pretty easy to pick up if you just dive in and aren’t afraid to make some mistakes. 

There is a forum dedicated to this type of thing full of guys a million times smarter than me that are easy to learn from as well. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ZG6E said:

Pardon the mess as this one was kind of experimental but here is sprayer GPS section control for $20. I’ll put it in a much nicer box and ditch the wire nuts later.  It’s a $13 arduino uno and a $7 relay shield to fit it. I only have 3 sections on my sprayer but theoretically with more relays I could control up to 16 sections.   I sprayed all day with it last week and it works great. I sure like it better than flipping switches.  It’s far more accurate than guessing too!

10D9207E-AB14-4554-ABD4-729AFC38FF6C.jpeg

4D500211-2E31-41AA-ABF3-337B37F8B4EE.jpeg

Can you take pics of your monitor mount? I need to mount one in our 5088.

9 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

Can you take pics of your monitor mount? I need to mount one in our 5088.

I’ve got that tractor parked at my other place but next time I’m over there I can take some pictures.  Not sure how much good it will do you though as it’s something I made and it’s pretty specific to the Havis dock my tablet fits into. It just clamps to the crossbar on the cab. 

Noticed that the antenna is not out front, where and why did you move it to? Not so sure where I should mount ag-15 trimble on my open station 756.

Should it be above exhaust pipe and near the steer axle or back at the rear axle for best results. Just a ez guide 250 as my first unit, for spraying and spreading.

Really neat what your doing and capable of!!

9 minutes ago, Michigan No Till said:

Noticed that the antenna is not out front, where and why did you move it to? Not so sure where I should mount ag-15 trimble on my open station 756.

Should it be above exhaust pipe and near the steer axle or back at the rear axle for best results. Just a ez guide 250 as my first unit, for spraying and spreading.

Really neat what your doing and capable of!!

I upgraded receivers and the new antenna cable wasn’t long enough to go out on the nose.  I am also using a different steering algorithm which seems to function better than what I was originally using with the antenna up on the roof. Right now it’s near the front of the cab up on the roof. 

Location of the antenna is a highly debated topic and in the end I’m not certain it matters all that much as long as the software you’re using can compensate for the location. The higher it is mounted the better the reception but also the further it moves when the tractor tilts side to side such as on a side hill.  If you have tilt compensation as I do this can be corrected. All in all I’m not much help- I would say try it in multiple locations and see what works best for you. 

No tilt compensation for the trimble 250, fields are mostly flat. SBAS set to 138 for Michigan? If it will dry up this afternoon, will hook it up and do a test run. With the antenna on the left fender, do you put offset in the setup screen to the left or right?

Seems like a dumb??? But I'm real green with ag gps!

33 minutes ago, Michigan No Till said:

No tilt compensation for the trimble 250, fields are mostly flat. SBAS set to 138 for Michigan? If it will dry up this afternoon, will hook it up and do a test run. With the antenna on the left fender, do you put offset in the setup screen to the left or right?

Seems like a dumb??? But I'm real green with ag gps!

I’m not sure for the offset- I would think the manual should clarify that. My program works in + and - not left and right.