Jump to content

5488 Hydraulic Autosteer


ZG6E
 Share

Recommended Posts

I just thought I would show you guys the hydraulic auto steer system I built for my 5488 around AgOpenGPS. It's still pretty beta and the software is changing daily but it's working pretty well so far and only getting better. I used an arduino to drive a Hydraforce brand proportional valve teed into the steering lines. The program was written by a gentleman named Brian Tischler out of Alberta Canada. I have around $1000 into the system including the cost of my tablet and a used GPS reciever. I plan on building an RTK system based on Ublox recievers running RTKLIB. I should be able to set that up for around $500 and be 2cm accurate.

 

 

20180321_202105.jpg

20180321_203808.jpg

20180321_203817.jpg

20180315_175708.jpg

20180223_112641.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Cool1566 said:

If you can set up a RTK network for $500 then I have been ripped off to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars!  Nice work and congratulations on your affordable system!

I should add that it will be an L1 only system and therefore comes with a shorter baseline maximum and longer acquisition times.  Big company (Novatel, trimble, etc.) L1/L2 systems can definitely run big bucks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would suggest putting your antenna on the cab.  I tried my Trimble on the front of the hood and it wondered all over the place.  Just my experience.  Nice set up otherwise.

jerry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SMOKER 1 said:

I would suggest putting your antenna on the cab.  I tried my Trimble on the front of the hood and it wondered all over the place.  Just my experience.  Nice set up otherwise.

jerry

Thanks, you might have been getting multipath off the windshield. I tried both places and it seems to steer the best with the antenna sitting right over top of the steer axle. I thought I may have to raise it up to cab level but it seems to work pretty well like this.  If it ever dries out I will let everyone know how it performs in the field.  So far I have only been able to test it in the snow. Pass to pass accuracy has been around 6" running novatel's GL1DE pdp filter.

 

I actually thought there might be more interest in this since it's a full hydraulic autosteer on a budget. Would be very simple to adapt to nearly any make/model of tractor, and it's all open source programming!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ZachGrant said:

Thanks, you might have been getting multipath off the windshield. I tried both places and it seems to steer the best with the antenna sitting right over top of the steer axle. I thought I may have to raise it up to cab level but it seems to work pretty well like this.  If it ever dries out I will let everyone know how it performs in the field.  So far I have only been able to test it in the snow. Pass to pass accuracy has been around 6" running novatel's GL1DE pdp filter.

 

I actually thought there might be more interest in this since it's a full hydraulic autosteer on a budget. Would be very simple to adapt to nearly any make/model of tractor, and it's all open source programming!

Now you have to do your durability testing. 5000hr? Keep us updated on how well it works through spring planting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I won't be putting kits together and selling anything but I would be more than happy to help guys get their own going. Advice is free! It can also be set up with a steering motor instead of hydraulic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I spread and incorporated fertilizer today and it performed pretty well. There were a couple hiccups with freezing after running for a few hours but I'm going to take a look at the code and see if anything pops out that might be overcrowding the memory. I also ordered another Arduino in case it's a hardware issue.

20180419_160205.jpg

20180419_155841.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Delta88 said:

Any more updates on your sentry unit?

I'm still using the controller I built with solid state time delay relays and have logged quite a few hours with it. It's working really well so for right now I haven't been working on the Sentry project. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, ZachGrant said:

I'm still using the controller I built with solid state time delay relays and have logged quite a few hours with it. It's working really well so for right now I haven't been working on the Sentry project. 

Not to take away from the topic of this post which is cool on its own, but I think there are enough people with a passion for keeping things original on these 88 series that it would be a shame to let your sentry project fall onto the back burner.

As successful as your controller is working, it isn’t “ factory” and a lot of guys would be leery about it. Not trying to diminish the success of your work, I think we need more guys with your abilities with these electronic units. 

Again, I don’t have any skin in the game as I don’t own an 88 series,but these 88 series are my favorite ?

Sid

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...

Hi Zach. I am attempting to do what you have done with GPS.  I've got everything wired up but I don't know how to get the Gps antenna signal to Agopengps.  Do you have any knowledge about this? Also I'm not using a novatel reciever.  I have a reach m+ with an antenna and LoRA radio which I am hoping to setup for RTK.  Right now I dont care about RTK, I just want a GPS signal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:22 AM, Roseisle said:

Hi Zach. I am attempting to do what you have done with GPS.  I've got everything wired up but I don't know how to get the Gps antenna signal to Agopengps.  Do you have any knowledge about this? Also I'm not using a novatel reciever.  I have a reach m+ with an antenna and LoRA radio which I am hoping to setup for RTK.  Right now I dont care about RTK, I just want a GPS signal.

Sorry I never saw this post. I'm sure you've long since figured your problem out but if you haven't just shoot me a p/m.

 

An update on this project- I have logged tons and tons of hours and the program has has only gotten better. The mess of wires is now contained in a printed circuit board and I am currently building an electric motor setup that can be more easily moved between the rest of my tractors. Using the autosteer I have planted corn and small grains, done tillage, spread fertilizer, and sprayed. It is pretty astounding how much better job I can do monitoring the equipment when I don't have to worry about driving in a straight line. Sorry for the poor video quality but here is an example of its work.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great job Zach! I utilized AOG this spring just with an electric motor instead of the hydraulic valve. I really like the hydraulic part though, looks very neat!  Do you have any item number for the components I would need for the hydraulic portion?   Also, I need to tweak my steering semi constantly, have you run into that? I'm powering the sensor from the arduino which is powered by the laptops USB; any chance that could be the issue? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Zach! Great job, I am working on building the same setup for my IH 1486, but I have some questions.

  1.  What Hydraulic valve did you use and where did you find it (I know it needs to be a 4 way 3 position).
  2. What motor driver did you use and why did you not use the one shown in the AoG Wiki.
  3. Did you use the steering wheel rotary encoder to disengage auto steer.

Thanks in advance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

Sorry I never got any of your questions answered earlier. Let me know if you still need any help.

 

I've got one small update to this- I now set up an rtk base at my house and am using ntrip via rtk2go to send corrections to my tractors. I decided this route over radio because I am spread out about 15 miles and it would take a pretty good radio to transmit that far with the terrain here. As long as I have cell reception I am able to receive corrections and maintain an rtk fix... the total cost to set up the base was about $250 so it is possible to achieve sub-inch accuracy on a budget.

I used an eval board based on the ublox f9p chip and stuck it in a nice little 3d printed case. (I found a 3d printer in a dumpster that only needed a small amount of work to get operable) I mounted the antenna to the ridge cap on my house and put the reciever in a utility closet.

 

20200106_202736.jpg

20200106_202744.jpg

20200106_202820.jpg

20200106_200313.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Zach.  You make me a little envious.  You make it look so easy.  I am slowly gaining.  I've got gps input, steering sensor input, but I haven't been able to get an output from my driver to the steering valve.  Are there some settings in AOG?  I'm using a driver like shown in AOG list.  I have put a different one in just to make sure the 1st one wasn't bad.  Any help would be appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Roseisle said:

Hi Zach.  You make me a little envious.  You make it look so easy.  I am slowly gaining.  I've got gps input, steering sensor input, but I haven't been able to get an output from my driver to the steering valve.  Are there some settings in AOG?  I'm using a driver like shown in AOG list.  I have put a different one in just to make sure the 1st one wasn't bad.  Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have a steer switch? You need one going to d3 in the arduino if I am remembering right. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, T_Mattson said:

Great project.  What steering valve did you go with? 

It's a hydraforce sp47-c 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...