MTO

Foam filling tires

Yeah, this topic has been discussed but for the life of me, I can`t find anything other than the topic on trying to fill small tires with crack filling foam.

ANYHOW, called a couple large tire shops about filling skid steer tires with hardening foam fill.

You know, the HEAVY stuff.

One wants $230/tire and second one wants $130/tire.

Neither receptionist , both women, could or would tell me what "brand" of filler they use.

Should I ask for/use any particular brand of this filler or does anyone have any experience using these fillers?

Bad part about foam filling is the tire has to be a good solid tire. It can not have any large holes or ass you use the tire it will break up the foam and force it out the hole.   We have went with solid tires with a lot better luck and the solid tires ride better 

Cost me 500$ to get 4 done for my feed wagon, 15 inch car tires

in general I fail to see the practical use for farm,they have their limited place on the job site (solid better)

its the same china &^%^& tire and SS by nature has to wear them (rotate every 50 h) it does not make them run any longer and 

3x $$ to have them changed out   $180/240 for new tire  doesnt cost out

hire in a dozer or know your land and dont go there, eliminate the hazard...  the unavoidable ones are going to ruin the tire and foam regardless...dozer cant mow ..we run the tracks about 50H yr  foam or solid would not let us adjust the tension

have a lot of hazardous work keep a set of solids  30 minute change out

had a few BH with it in fronts (dont skin like SS) changed to solid  when they traded out

We had in the past foamed some. For limited hours like you probably are it can make sense. I forget the price of what they were per tire but we run Recaps on our skid loader and then once it was foamed it cost an astronomical amount of money to recap it, and that's why we went away . We did have some Rim failures the rims had been cracked before we foamed them and we didn't realize it (that's where a leak was) and the rim ended up splitting and we lost a foamed tire that way . 

It does add considerable weight which going to be an advantage for counterbalance to lift stuff but it's a disadvantage if you're in the mud

I would only do it to new tires

I’m on my second set of 23-8.5-12 foamed tires. It doubles the cost, but I was having enough flat tires that it works out very similar in lifetime cost, and this way I have no down time. I’m just guessing that you are running 10-16.5. That lower price is a bit suspicious. Talk to another customer of theirs. They will ride rough. I would never foam fill a used tire, nor would I do anything but a good rim.

We have two sets of clawdaddy airless tires. They are 9-34-16 to replace 12-16.5 . We wore out one set on one skidloader, the other set we took off with 40% tread. They are better than foamed durability wise but hard on axles and the ground gets tore up bad because they are narrower than the 12-16.5. 

Have the clawdaddy and galaxy hulk solids.  Used in the barn on concrete only.  Went away from foam fill because we had several rims crack and for the most part if you hit a curb and bend the rim you lose the whole thing.  I want to say we were getting them filled for about 150 dollars.  I would have a hard time justifying it on anything but a new tire.  They don’t ride the greatest but if flat tires are a problem it’s worth considering it.  In a low hour application some of the problems we have seen may not be nearly the problem they were for us.

Had a lot of flats on My Kubota mower so I foamed the tires. This was 20 years ago and it was over a hundred per tire. I wore the tires down and into the foam. No flats but heavy. It was kinda hard on the drives and spindles though.

Get a set of Michelin Bibsteel radial skid steer tires and your flat tires will all but stop, we'e had 1 flat in 900 hours and it looks like the tires will last another 4,000-5,000 hours.

12 hours ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

Get a set of Michelin Bibsteel radial skid steer tires and your flat tires will all but stop, we'e had 1 flat in 900 hours and it looks like the tires will last another 4,000-5,000 hours.

$500  vs $1800  I would need many more that confirm 5K hours

4-5 nails sharps off side of road per year is not big deal   but going in mud /other field/roots and cutting side wall, out of $450 tire not fun day

I know of a couple guys on concrete all the time who have got 2,400-2,600 hours out of the Michelins and they were getting 500-600 hours out of Titans.

12 hours ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

I know of a couple guys on concrete all the time who have got 2,400-2,600 hours out of the Michelins and they were getting 500-600 hours out of Titans.

if you were high monthly use on mostly concrete that could pencil out...not for barn farm/field use

tire mfgs are pulling out ALL the good stuff out  ...seven years max   a lot of sunlight, barn use,or not used until operating temp at least every other day   much less life,    new wagon tires about 5 years life now..on same wagon as 20 year old tire

SS is prone to sidewall /lug damage in muddy barn yard,,we only keep 1 for exactly the limited use it can do

ALL barn work ... clean..., stack hay to 20' ,small forklift,under fence mower

had new SS on deposit  ...purchased case 580,another tractor and put $18k in bank

Using 10-16.5 bib steel to push up feed.  1800 to 2000 hours.  Was getting 1000 hours out of pneumatic galaxy hulk on same job.

45 minutes ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

Our tire dealer said Michelin will guarantee the carcass of the Bibsteels to be good for retreading so sidewall strength won' be an issue.