Sign in to follow this  
dads706

My rant for today....

Why.... when people put things on Craigslist, they not only can't describe the item correctly, .... half the time they don't even know what it is.      These people probably buy the box of 'unknown' items at an auction and figure there must be someone out there as dumb as they are.

Or the Craigslist sellers that post for 2 months the _____________ (fill in the blank) that they are trying to sell. If it doesn't sell in a week, you would get the idea, that nobody wants it.  

Or why would I drive all over town (Omaha/Council Bluffs for example) to buy a used $2. utility knife?

Rant over. 

Lot of folks, man of who are older, try to supplement income by selling stuff. Others trying to get drug money. The first group do pick stuff up at estate sales and auctions that they have no idea or what it is or and items value. The 2nd group often doesn't know much about anything. There is another group out there. Most of us at one point or anther fall into it. The group looking for a deal. Some of that group will spend a lot of gas driving here and there looking for that "deal" and other spend more in gas and meals than they save. Other will spend hours reading ads, here, on Craigslist, on Ebay and other places and on the phone. Now if you keep in mind that time is money and the time spent looking for that deal if billed out would be at a minimum of minimum wage again time spent would add enough to the price of the "great deal" item higher than it's new price at the store.

Thing is for a lot of folks shopping around for that deal is a form of entertainment. So you want that deal you gotta pay the price of admission.

Rick

2 hours ago, dads706 said:

Why.... when people put things on Craigslist, they not only can't describe the item correctly, .... half the time they don't even know what it is.      These people probably buy the box of 'unknown' items at an auction and figure there must be someone out there as dumb as they are.

Or the Craigslist sellers that post for 2 months the _____________ (fill in the blank) that they are trying to sell. If it doesn't sell in a week, you would get the idea, that nobody wants it.  

Or why would I drive all over town (Omaha/Council Bluffs for example) to buy a used $2. utility knife?

Rant over. 

I will add to your rant.  Hate the people that so not put contact information in adds. I refuse to waste my time emailing a dozen times to find out a simple question.   Last craigslist add i wasted my time on emailing.  We emailed each other 10 times over a month. Only to find out it was the wrong side.    I ve called on several adds and never hear back.  Or they get mad you called because they already sold it. Take the add down. I even had people return calls months later. Im about done with e bay and craigslist 

Done with rant

What I'm talking about are  'Mechanics expandable wrench' that is actually an 18" pipe wrench, or the 'Vintage__________' that can be bought off the shelf at any Home/Farm store. I've seen ads run for a month selling a used 2" hitch ball. Or the one that gets posted every couple weeks or so for 'Assorted fan belts, don't know what they fit'.

But to agree with Rick's post, I know people that pay a dollar for a box of misc stuff at a farm sale, bring it home, split it up, sell the one jewel at the bottom of the box for 5 bucks and then sell the rest for the same dollar they paid for it.

Understand your anger dads but I`m glad C/L is there even WITH all it`s snowflakes. 

I like the reference about the  month long ad for the used 2" ball!!!:lol: I`ve seen it!

Got 2 guys here. 1 is selling bamboo. The other barrels. Both post everyday. If I put an ad up early they will have yours pushed to the second or third page by 10. Bamboo guy lists every different kind he has in its own ad. Barrel man does the same. 

I for one do NOT understand your anger. It's not worth the energy to get angry about something you cannot change.

The world is full of flakes with no logic or common sense. It's always been that way. It will always be that way. The Internet just gives them a place to publicly display it.

What you need to do is hone your Craigslist reading down to just what you're interested in. Stop reading ALL the ads. Learn to skim the titles. Use searches. Flag the ads that annoy you so you don't have to see them anymore. Don't worry, your one flag won't hurt their ad unless it is already in trouble, and they won't know you flagged them.

And I get a kick out of the ads that say "NO SPAMMERS/SCAMMERS!"

That`ll scare them off.... he he he

As said above, C/L can be entertaining...

I get a kick out of used garden tool for the price of new and drive out of the way for junk I have never looked for anything on Craigslist under 1000 new, but I'm not paying 3 for your 5 gallon bucket...or 3 for your 4 dollar widget...

Matt, I'm not angry. More like Mark, just amused. If I'm selling a pipe wrench, I know enough to call it a pipe wrench. I have bought stuff on CL, and have gotten some great deals. I've also made a couple hour long drives to look at a piece of junk. But hey, I've done the same at farm sales. At least at the farm sales I come away with a cup of coffee.:D       

Year or so ago, I had a 30 gallon Craftsman air compressor that had a hole in the tank. I just pushed it in the corner and figured I'd keep an eye on CL. Sure enough a couple months ago, there was an ad '30 gal Craftsman compressor. Good tank burnt motor.'  So for couple hours of my time, supper out for the wife and I, a $20 bill, and I'm back in business. 

I agree with MTO and others. CL is my friend.       Sort of like the saying....'Civilization isn't so bad, it's the people I don't like'.

I like looking at the background junk in the items pictures posted.  A while back a guy had an add selling a BALZER slurry tanker and in the background was a 56 series tractor in a stage of disrepair/repair. So I replied to the add and asked about the tractor didn't get a reply.

5 minutes ago, BOBSIH856 said:

I like looking at the background junk in the items pictures posted.  A while back a guy had an add selling a BALZER slurry tanker and in the background was a 56 series tractor in a stage of disrepair/repair. So I replied to the add and asked about the tractor didn't get a reply.

Oh those things in the background ...

Image result for pictures with odd things in the background

1 hour ago, MTO said:

And I get a kick out of the ads that say "NO SPAMMERS/SCAMMERS!"

That`ll scare them off.... he he he

As said above, C/L can be entertaining...

Posting no scammers should work  Gun free zones work 

Some craigslist adds are more than entertaining 

No mileage listed for a vehicle and I will not ask. Same with car dealers who do it.

Some of the descriptions for an item seem to be in some new language.

Takes some head scratching to figure out what they are trying to say.

31 minutes ago, red2thebone sr said:

And just how may ways can they incorrectly spell Allis Chalmers? 

Really!

And I`ve found when they can`t spell, they can`t speak the language either. 

10 hours ago, red2thebone sr said:

And just how may ways can they incorrectly spell Allis Chalmers? 

Not as many as they can for Cummings Dodge pickups

you guys need to check out the "best of craigslist" and also the "missed connections" section. its a hoot, when the Mrs goes away otherwise known as i get to to use the computer, i never turn on the tube, i could spend hours watching youtube videos of tractor tear downs interspersed with entertaining myself reading all the goobers posts on craigslist. its a riot, get popcorn and root beer cause you'll be there for a while.

15 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

No mileage listed for a vehicle and I will not ask. Same with car dealers who do it.

Some of the descriptions for an item seem to be in some new language.

Takes some head scratching to figure out what they are trying to say.

You might be missing out by not asking miles. Back in '04 I was looking at 99-00 super duties with 7.3 and a 6-speed. I screwed up entering years in my search but let it go because I had a dollar cap anyhow. Pulled up an '02 in my range. I figured it had to have a quarter million miles so I looked past it. The next day I gave in to curiosity and called. Only 117k. That's a lot of miles for a truck that was still two months from its 3rd birthday, but no more than the older trucks I was looking at! I drove that truck til just shy of 200k and only sold it to get a crew cab.

I get a kick out of the scammers that want to sell Bobcat skidsteer's for 2500.00 [brand new looking machine]

then a few lines down there is one that had an engine fire [parts machine ]for 6000.00 

next move is the flag for removal.:rolleyes:

Mike