madmac74

Breathing life into a 1981 Cargostar 1850B

19 hours ago, R Pope said:

Hydrovac's need the shoes really close to the drums to work right. 1 1/2 pumps means the wheel cylinders require too much fluid to move far enough first pump.

when i went through the brakes i set them tight .. or at least in my professional opinion.. any tighter and i would definately get brake fade .

Those where super cool trucks, Who knows if anyone still supplies parts for them. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2019 at 8:05 PM, CubNamedOscar said:

Those where super cool trucks, Who knows if anyone still supplies parts for them. 

The internet has been my friend !!

MAC

20180719_162843_resized.jpg

• Like 1

Rule of thumb on hyd truck brakes is to run the star wheel up until the brakes lock and then back off 3 clicks for used shoes 5 for new. This usually is the back axle. Front axle assuming it is the cam design with the hex nut on the out side of the backing plate turn in direction of forward rotation until wheel locks and then back off until just free to rotate. Start with the furthest wheel from the master cyl and work your way to the closest. RR LR RF LF is normally recommended way to bleed. I usually try to bleed the hydrovac first and then go to the wheels. Most of the Alison transmission that I have been around do not have a vacuum modulator they shift by throttle linkage position and pressure. What you have been describing does sound like brakes that are out of adjustment.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for confirming IHC... The original  owner told me he had a runaway and that's why the truck sat for 6 years before I found it ..And as i stated earlier in the thread, I did adjust them up tight .  Your explination makes perfect sense and i really appreciate the breakdown in the steps ..  I will re-adjust the brakes  and follow your instructions this time. this truck hasn't seen a mechanic touch in a long ,long time. So 'I've been getting used to fixing every little thing that's been ignored for years. AS for the Allison , I'm going to double check the kickdown /throttle linkage, and pull the governor and inspected it . 

Great advice IHC_1470. and this should help alot

Thanks Very much

Parker @ PHM Services

On 6/26/2019 at 4:33 PM, IHC_1470 said:

Rule of thumb on hyd truck brakes is to run the star wheel up until the brakes lock and then back off 3 clicks for used shoes 5 for new. This usually is the back axle. Front axle assuming it is the cam design with the hex nut on the out side of the backing plate turn in direction of forward rotation until wheel locks and then back off until just free to rotate. Start with the furthest wheel from the master cyl and work your way to the closest. RR LR RF LF is normally recommended way to bleed. I usually try to bleed the hydrovac first and then go to the wheels. Most of the Alison transmission that I have been around do not have a vacuum modulator they shift by throttle linkage position and pressure. What you have been describing does sound like brakes that are out of adjustment.

so i followed your advice IHC,, and my first set in the right rear is now set .. what kind of starwheel adjustment tool do u use . my large screwdriver , doesn't quite fit onto  the starwheel very well .

thanks

Parker in PG

Snap On S9523 and Snap On S8353B are the two that I have good luck with. The upper one is a pain for sure.

On 8/1/2019 at 11:09 PM, IHC_1470 said:

Snap On S9523 and Snap On S8353B are the two that I have good luck with. The upper one is a pain for sure.

Thank you sir!

MAC