Sign in to follow this  
farmall-nick

1974 loadstar

Hi all, i dont know if you remember but a while back i was looking for brake parts for my loadstar i haven't been on the forums for sometime. but here is a little update. i did find all new wheel cylinders, hydrovac, master cylinder, pads and got the drums turned. we put all new copper vacuum lines down to the hydrovac and all new brake lines from front to back. it went to two threshing shows last year. The 392 surprisingly burns no oil and has lots of power, the clutch is very good and the 2-speed works well. it also got a pete 379 bumper over the summer, what are your thoughts on that? 5aa5204830e20_EC9B5079-8FF5-4F2A-8853-0287A409C240-Copy.thumb.png.c0f821057a3b7ddd5eaaa13d316e08a2.png90444EFB-7867-424F-8069-493E74D96437.thumb.png.e745d6ccaeb4eaf8a5f6fa7228420042.png  

why does it look scary? ha ha, dont worry i had 4 chains on the tractor and 2 on the plow.  

You've got no headache rack. And a flatbed gooseneck would give you a lower center of gravity. Maybe you'll be all right. Just sayin'.

I see you've got two different types of wheels. What size tires?

it has 900-20 in the rear and 10 hundred 20s the front, i just got it running it will get a headache rack very soon. 

that is a lot like how mine is built, i am building a headache rack this summer. it seems to not be to unstable with the tractor up there. i dont drive faster then 55 and i am only 16 so i have lots of years to get it where i want, id like to put a sleeper up there. 

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:46 AM, lightninboy said:

You've got no headache rack. And a flatbed gooseneck would give you a lower center of gravity. Maybe you'll be all right. Just sayin'.

I see you've got two different types of wheels. What size tires?

My uncles dealership hauled new 66 series on a Loadstar 1600 with a tilt bed. That was common practice back then.  You just drove slow and took your time.

There is actually no reason to be surprised when a Loadstar performs well.  It was by far the most popular medium duty in the US from the early 60's to the late 70's.

Almost all were powered by the SV engine, mostly by V304 and V345 engines in its heyday.  Every Freightliner or other non International brand you see today would have been an International in the 60's.

1 hour ago, oleman said:

There is actually no reason to be surprised when a Loadstar performs well.  It was by far the most popular medium duty in the US from the early 60's to the late 70's.

Almost all were powered by the SV engine, mostly by V304 and V345 engines in its heyday.  Every Freightliner or other non International brand you see today would have been an International in the 60's.

You've got proof of that or is that just your opinion?

You have to realize that Freightliner was a private label for Consolidated Freightways and they didn't built anything smaller than road tractors. Petes and KW's were west coast trucks as were Western star and they didn't build lighter trucks also. That left IH Ford GMC Mack Diamond T and the occasional Chevy for large trucks on the eastern seaboard.  For 2 tons it was IH Chevy Ford GMC and a handful of Dodges. Most of the big 3s trucks were powered by warmed over car engines while IH built only trucks. Their engines had more torque over the entire RPM range than anything else on the market and had longevity second to none.

On 3/13/2018 at 9:12 AM, farmall-nick said:

got any pictures of loadstars with sleepers? 

Here's one with a sleeper and a pickup box that I found someplace on the net.

Loadstar PU with sleeper.jpg

i have seen that one, it looks like its well done. i need to find that same size sleeper 

Ford had their Super-Duty engines that ran with the biggest gas V-8's IH made, made from 1957 to 1982. 401, 477, and 534 cid, plus they had 361 & 391's The GMC Big Block V-6's were popular too, everything from 305, 351, 401, 478, 637 V-8, 702 V-12.    The rest, Chevy, Dodge, etc were modified car engines, sometimes extensively modified.  But IH was the most popular, probably one IH for every one of everything else, so 50% market share. Into the 70's Chevy and Ford started eating into IH's share but when diesel became more popular IH owned that with the DT-466.  Lot of DT-360 and T444E powered trucks too.

On 3/19/2018 at 8:22 AM, farmall-nick said:

i have seen that one, it looks like its well done. i need to find that same size sleeper 

I saw an ISUZU NPR with a sleeper attached.  I would have called it a sleeper box but it would be a stretch out space.

Good luck with your project, nice rig!

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:12 AM, farmall-nick said:

got any pictures of loadstars with sleepers? 

Not a Loadstar but somewhat similar.

mack.thumb.jpg.257e186e9a35a3e936372920c4f568d1.jpg

• Haha 1