Bill in Eastern WA

T35, T496, T699 transmission parts

I have the T496 from my Loadstar 1800 and it has been run low on oil.  The main shaft and gears are heavily damaged. 

Does anyone know where you can get parts?

Also would the main shaft and gears from another model transmission interchange?

Trying to figure out where to go from here. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Bill

38 minutes ago, Bill in Eastern WA said:

I have the T496 from my Loadstar 1800 and it has been run low on oil.  The main shaft and gears are heavily damaged. 

Does anyone know where you can get parts?

Also would the main shaft and gears from another model transmission interchange?

Trying to figure out where to go from here. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Bill

If you go online you might find used one . No other parts interchange. If not you might find a spicer or newer trans to cobble in.

I have lots and lots of new T34, T35, T494, T495, and T496 parts in stock, and can get darn near anything that I don't stock. But I keep this stuff primarily for my own use, as I have several trucks with these transmissions. I recently overhauled the one in my 1974 200 4X4, and converted it from a T496 to a T494 in the process. My cost on the parts was roughly $1200.00. I installed a bearing kit, an input shaft, the four gears needed to change the ratios, both synchros, one fork, and a small parts kit. One that has been run low on lube, or with the wrong lube, smoking the mainshaft in either case, would require $2200.00 or more in parts. Time to go hit the scrap yards.

I don't know what model the trans is that I have in my 1800,  but when Travellette mentioned the smoked mainshaft, I recognized it.  The third time it blew I took it it Premier Truck Parts in Cleveland Ohio. They had some kind of needle (roller) bearing update for that unit. When I got it back, they said, "DO NOT run 90w ; use straight 50w motor oil". That was at 27000 miles, the truck has 82000 today. Never had any more trouble with it. Problem is, that was 20 years ago. I would suggest taking it to a rebuilder for two reasons: They can look  at it and give a price on a rebuild, or if that is impossible, they can compare the dimensions to another trans and give the most logical replacement suggestion.  Some of those rebuilders are a tight lot. They might know someone hoarding parts, but they wouldn't let on unless they got the rebuild.  Check the rear of the case and see if there is a crack between the bearing bores.

Here is the company I recommend for parts or rebuilding.  Give them a call.

http://www.wellertruck.com/default.aspx

I've heard so many contradictory suggestions about which oil to use in an IH 5 speed,  I am totally lost.  Use the wrong viscosity oil in the wrong trans and you will wipe out the trans in no time.  Otherwise, if taken care of, they should last hundreds of thousands of miles.    It has something to do with the oil getting in to lube the shaft bearings - you need a thinner oil than what's called for in the other IH 5 speeds.  But I don't remember which model of 5 speed that is.  In my case, the problem is compounded because the sales brochure lists 5 different 5 speed manual transmissions for my Loadstar 1700, and no Line setting ticket is available for my truck.  I might suggest 10W30 or 15W40 to keep from smoking the mainshaft bearings.  But I hope someone with more experience with IH 5-speed transmissions jumps in and corrects me.  

Thank you.

Thanks for all the replies.  Still looking for some answers.  The motor in this truck is a MV446 and the transmission is T496. 

Maybe I should ask another question.  Did IH build trucks with the MV series engine backed up with a T35 or T36 transmission?

I have been able to find T35 and T36 transmissions locally but no T496. 

Thanks

Thanks TRAVELETTE - I went ahead and bought two transmissions that I found on craigslist today.  One is a T35 and the other is a T36.  I had to get them home and put them in 4th and turn the input shaft to figure out what they were.  First time I have seen any International transmissions on craigslist in the last few months and they were within 35 miles of home.  They look like they will bolt up to the bell housing on the MV and they have the correct input shaft.  Seems like the T36 is the one to use because it matches the gear ratios of theT496.  I was hoping someone could confirm the T36 would work, but haven't gotten any confirmation yet.  

Do you know anyone that would be able to tell me for sure?

Thanks

In Loadstars, MV, LV, and DV engines used the same bell housings. MV, LV, DV, and RD engines used the same input shaft. So a T3X from a behind any of those engines will work behind your MV to replace a T49X. The input shaft part number is found on the "nose" end. The part number you need is 238582R1 or R2 or R3. Input shafts do not interchange between T3X and T49X transmissions, due to a different design "pocket" bearing at the mainshaft. Does your truck have a PTO? If it does, I can check to see if the PTO will work as is, or if it needs a new driven gear.

Thank you so much for the information.  The truck does need a working PTO - that's the next thing I need to figure out is if the PTO from the T496 will work on the T36.

If you can check out the PTO for me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

These are both 1-1/4" input shafts from behind a SV. 238579R2 is a T35. 238581R2 is a T36. or T34. MV transmissions were built with a 1-1/2" input. But since this truck is around 40 years old, someone may have put changed the clutch disc. What is the part number on the input from the T496 that you are replacing?

On 3/9/2018 at 9:17 PM, Binderoid said:

I don't know what model the trans is that I have in my 1800,  but when Travellette mentioned the smoked mainshaft, I recognized it.  The third time it blew I took it it Premier Truck Parts in Cleveland Ohio. They had some kind of needle (roller) bearing update for that unit. When I got it back, they said, "DO NOT run 90w ; use straight 50w motor oil". That was at 27000 miles, the truck has 82000 today. Never had any more trouble with it. Problem is, that was 20 years ago. I would suggest taking it to a rebuilder for two reasons: They can look  at it and give a price on a rebuild, or if that is impossible, they can compare the dimensions to another trans and give the most logical replacement suggestion.  Some of those rebuilders are a tight lot. They might know someone hoarding parts, but they wouldn't let on unless they got the rebuild.  Check the rear of the case and see if there is a crack between the bearing bores.

The problem with one of those trans and I think it is the 496 types.( I don’t really give a hoot about models tell by looking and fixing them) the reverse gear instead of sliding back when out of gear is collar shifted. That gives you an insane gear speed in all the hi ranges. Reverse gear spinning on main shaft at 5 times speed of light with thick oil will just grind them apart. Whenever you call someplace parts are super tough to source but it is nice to see some of you guys can still find them

Okay - Now I am understanding the differences. The T496 is in town at the transmission shop, it probably does have the larger 1 1/2 input.  I didn't check the clutch disk, I was more concerned about the pilot bearing being the same.  

If I can't find the correct input shaft for what I have, couldn't I just change the clutch disk to match the input shaft on the T36?

Sorry for all of the questions - here is another one.  Both of the transmissions I am working on have been out of the vehicles for a long time. Both have rust on the gears to varying degrees.  Attached a are pictures from the T36 showing what I am talking about.  Can this be cleaned off and still use the gears?  I tried scraping with a pick and it comes loose pretty easy.  Wondering if after cleaning them up they would still be okay to use.  Also noticed the reverse gear has a small chip.   Wondering if that can still be used. 

Thanks,

IMG_2365.jpg

IMG_2366.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

If first and reverse aren't synchronized, they get a little grinding, you know. Serious rust would be a concern, I suppose.

When you said that the input shafts appeared to be the same I thought you had actually measured them. You need a 1-1/2" T-36 input shaft and to use the front brg retainer from your old T496.

You haven't told us what you do with this truck, how much you use it, how long you want it to last, and how much money you are willing to spend. That makes it hard to answer some of your questions. 

The rust on the gears doesn't look too bad. I would tear it down, clean it up, check things over, replace what needs be replaced, and stuff it in. The chip on the 1st/reverse mainshaft sliding gear is not a real big deal, but see what the teeth on the countershaft look like.

Ya I measured the part that goes in the pilot bearing.  The truck has a New Holland hay retriever bed on it and I plan on using it to haul stacks of hay.  It'll get used in the summer and fall and that'll be about it.  The loads of hay will be about 3 1/2 ton at a time.  So it shouldn't be that big of a job for a Loadstar 1800.  It needs to be solid and dependable. Here is a picture of the truck.  It's in pretty nice shape and not beat to death, but the last 15 years of sitting around hasn't done it any favors. 

IMG_1851.PNG

I have a T36 tranny I acquired.  It’s a #592 what type of gear oil should I use?  50w motor oil?  Also I’m sending pics of the top plate.  Looked a little bit wonky.  When I took a look at it.  Can someone tell me if there is anything missing or wrong from the pictures I’ve provided. 

A2267B7D-C47A-4C61-A109-3453FDFE9751.jpeg

E2BA4B56-721C-4C6C-9483-3006C70352A3.jpeg

D940A955-A0B1-4948-8A01-5ADCB97132E7.jpeg

66D58AB1-0745-4C76-AA24-B9EF0D2EFFCF.jpeg

On 3/9/2018 at 5:58 AM, TRAVELETTE said:

Do you still have parts, I need a top end of a t36 asap

thanks

“I have lots and lots of new T34, T35, T494, T495, and T496 parts in stock, and can get darn near anything that I don't stock. But I keep this stuff primarily for my own use, as I have several trucks with these transmissions. I recently overhauled the one in my 1974 200 4X4, and converted it from a T496 to a T494 in the process. My cost on the parts was roughly $1200.00. I installed a bearing kit, an input shaft, the four gears needed to change the ratios, both synchros, one fork, and a small parts kit. One that has been run low on lube, or with the wrong lube, smoking the mainshaft in either case, would require $2200.00 or more in parts. Time to go hit the scrap yards”