MTO

What ruled the roads then?

In 1972 I bought my brother's Chevelle 396 for $186.  By that time the road cancer had taken its toll but it was my first car, so what?

Unlike most this one was a 3 speed instead of the common factory builds of a 4.  No biggie, just one less gear to miss, right?

Did some drag racing w/ it  in our albeit small universe but I never lost once in the quarter.

Nice!  My uncle still has his '69 chevelle, it was the motion performance edition with the 427, 4speed and chrome side pipes.  It's lived on blocks inside for the last 40 years.  I saw it run once.  Someday...  

Sweet looking car.  You must have been thrilled to get it!

Many if not most of you probably never heard of a Yenko Corvair/Vega/Deuce/Camaro or Chevelle.

We were lucky enough to have this local dealer work his magic on these cars in the 60s/70s.

A neighbor worked there and his expertise was the big blocks.

This link includes all the production numbers and there weren`t a lot of them

They bring a premium dollar today. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yenko_Chevrolet

18 hours ago, new guy said:

Cool ride! I would like a street rod sometime. Wife isn't into them tho. I might have to cruise alone and borrow MTOs dog house for a few days...😂

A lot of street rods on the scene now--but 50 years ago not so much---this was the first one in our small town--its was a cop magnet--anywhere it went a cop was soon to appear--Had a lot of fun at a drag strip--never set any records

1 hour ago, MTO said:

Many if not most of you probably never heard of a Yenko Corvair/Vega/Deuce/Camaro or Chevelle.

We were lucky enough to have this local dealer work his magic on these cars in the 60s/70s.

Those and the COPO Camaros. Dodges equivalent is Mr Norms Grand Spaulding  Dodge dealership in the Chicago area. Did Ford have a standout performance dealership like these? Olds? Pontiac? AMC?

Went to work in the shop of the local Chevy garage in Summer of 69. ($4 an hour was big bux then...most weeks I owed them!! :blink:)

I ordered a brand new 1970 Nova SS 396, (L-78--375HP), late in 69.

The 396 only lasted about 6000 miles, and fortunately, the zone warranty rep said if "Chevy builds it, they stand behind it"!!!

I took the warranty check, and went to Nickey Chevrolet, in Chicago. Came home with an L88, 427, 450 HP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickey_Chevrolet

Those were the good old days..........(they'd put you in jail for some of that stuff now)

Mike 

17 hours ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

Nice!  My uncle still has his '69 chevelle, it was the motion performance edition with the 427, 4speed and chrome side pipes.  It's lived on blocks inside for the last 40 years.  I saw it run once.  Someday...  

Oh I failed to mention.  The SS 396 was a 66.

18 hours ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

Never heard of these Baldwin Motion cars. Where was this dealer?

52 minutes ago, mikem said:

Went to work in the shop of the local Chevy garage in Summer of 69. ($4 an hour was big bux then...most weeks I owed them!! :blink:)

The 396 only lasted about 6000 miles, and fortunately, the zone warranty rep said if "Chevy builds it, they stand behind it"!!!

I took the warranty check, and went to Nickey Chevrolet, in Chicago. Came home with an L88, 427, 450 HP.

Those were the good old days..........(they'd put you in jail for some of that stuff now)

Mike 

Ok Mikem! You got my interest. tell us MORE about this beast!

19 hours ago, MTO said:

Geesh mto give us a lil credit! Lol

17 hours ago, new guy said:

Those and the COPO Camaros. Dodges equivalent is Mr Norms Grand Spaulding  Dodge dealership in the Chicago area. Did Ford have a standout performance dealership like these? Olds? Pontiac? AMC?

The cobra jet mustang was concieved and pushed by....Tasca Ford maybe? Thinking they were out in cali but would have to look up the cold hard facts as i dont remember for sure right now.

1 hour ago, mikem said:

Mike 

Those Nova's were scary enough to keep on the road with a 396! How was the 427 to keep on the road?  I know a guy who had that L78 in a 1970 Nova.4 speed with a 12 bolt 3.73 gears.  When those tires broke loose the was no telling which way the car would go. The car was just too light in the rear end. 

I knew a kid who bought a 69 or 70 396/375 Nova. I was gone by then, but was back once and got a ride in it. He only had it a few months, and I heard he sold it. It was not safe. It was simply scary, not exciting scary, just scary scary. Like was said above way to much power for that car in street trim. I heard that the reason he sold it, was he was on I-80, hit 4th at about 65 and it went sideways on the interstate. With drag suspension, it would have been completely different story.

Sort of like a 466 triple turbo pro puller, on an end gate seeder.

3 hours ago, MTO said:

Never heard of these Baldwin Motion cars. Where was this dealer?

I remember Motion ads in hot rod magazines in the mid-'70s.

I remember when I had my 69 Z28 and my 69 Super Bee and I went to get insurance they wanted the VIN and the numbers off the block. The original engines were gone by the time I got the cars. The 302 was gone from the Camaro and the 327 in it when I bought it was shot, so I put together a decent running 350 for it. But it probably had as much or more power than the 302. The block I believe came out of a 76 Chevy pickup. 4 bolt main etc, 

The Super Bee was a 383 car new, and it had just a standard 4 barrel 440 that was nothing special. 

When I had to renew the insurance on my Chevelle my insurance agent at the time asked if I raced it. I said" do you want me to lie to you?" He just smiled and checked the no box. He knew darn well I did, he was my kids" bus driver for years and went to my church. He had seen  and heard it at cruise nights. 

22 hours ago, MTO said:

What are you saying ? Don't remember , how about COPO.

22 hours ago, new guy said:

Don't forget Royal Pontiac.

Don't know if Oldsmobile had any high-performance dealers other than the good Doctor himself.

I don't mean to  usurp this post but International Trucks ruled the road, "Heavy Duty Sales Leader is an ad I remember.

2 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

What are you saying ? Don't remember , how about COPO.

COPO Camaros ! all aluminum 427 ! build by GM with full warranty. This link says they were 500 hp but I have read they were closer to 600 hp I took this pic of a real COPO at the Indy Bash. they look fairly tame don't they :ph34r:

https://musclecars.howstuffworks.com/classic-muscle-cars/1969-chevrolet-camaro-zl1.htm

000_0242.JPG

On 3/11/2018 at 8:45 PM, MTO said:

7 miles from my house. I remember seeing it out a few times but never heard it at full song.
http://www.superchevy.com/features/street-racing-legend-1969-yenko-camaro-427-found-parked-since-1979/

At school the run of the mill hot rodders had Chevrolets but the baddest of the bad around the area were all Mopars, in particular a Super Bee capable of 11 seconds in street trim and a low 10 second Dodge Challenger.

I took these pics at the Indy Bash as well. not a street car but legendary!

000_0226.JPG

000_0227.JPG

1 hour ago, hillman said:

COPO Camaros ! all aluminum 427 ! build by GM with full warranty. This link says they were 500 hp but I have read they were closer to 600 hp I took this pic of a real COPO at the Indy Bash. they look fairly tame don't they :ph34r:

https://musclecars.howstuffworks.com/classic-muscle-cars/1969-chevrolet-camaro-zl1.htm

000_0242.JPG

There were two 69 COPO Camaros the more common Iron Block 427/425HP and the 427/430HP all aluminum motor, a orange one sold at barrett jackson this year for 770K

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1969-CHEVROLET-CAMARO-ZL1-210230

Mopar ruled my area back in the day here.

Back when I was in high school and college I was all into hot rodding muscle cars. However I never even dreamed of being top dog. There was this 'old man' who would street race anyone for $100 but would not race you for fun. His name is Jim Hale and he still lives in Van Buren AR. Read this article about him and you will understand!

Hotrod.com/articles/jim-hale-50-years-of-fast-in-class.

He had these super fast cars and really knew how to drive. There were fast cars around here  like a camero with a blown 454, 460 pinto,etc. He would blow everything away with whatever car he put on the street that night.

My souped up 340 in a 73 challenger never had a chance.

Thx-Ace

On 3/11/2018 at 8:45 PM, MTO said:

Yenko cars are worth a lot of money back in there day most were on the drag strip.