redneckchevy9

Most Regretted Farm Purchase

Just curious to what were some of your guys most regretted purchase for your farm.  A tractor, a implement you thought you needed, but never used it, or maybe that Harvestore you just "had" to have.

JD 220 bi-fold disc. Never level and usually broken.

I wasn't very old at the time and didn't make the call...................But the 560 gas we got ahold of was the most depressing piece of machinery I ever was around.  Although my current Gehl Grinder mixer is up on that list too................

TP, you really need to work harder at convincing your wife you need a new Lorenz.......<_<

The 1066 we purchased in 2013. One giant basket case probably better stuff in salvage yards. Been sitting since July 2014. But it was fun while it lasted....

A Case 27 foot deep tillage cultivator. Got a reasonably good deal at a farm auction and pulled it 50 somehting miles home behind the old GM half ton. It looked good, strong and capable but when I hitched it to the 2390 Case I got a surprise. That tractor would normally handle 33 feet easily but this 27 was just a real boat anchor. I discovered that most of the shanks were bent and the shovels running at such a steep angle it was bulldozing instead of slicing the soil. I investigated straightening them but finally decided to trade it on a newer 33 foot Morris. Best decision I could have made at the time. 

Brand new Leon manure vertical beater spreader about 7 years ago.  With the way the beaters are driven by double roller chain you’d think a Massey combine engineer designed it.

Massey 65

First tractor I ever owned

Sold to me by a neighbor "friend" who told me he would ONLY sell it to me.

It`s drive home was it`s last. 

I can't think of anything I ever bought for the farm that I didn't get my money's worth out of. One regret might be buying an old aluminum grain trailer when I got back into row crops. Paid $12K for it and always had trouble with it wanting to crack in between the hoppers/frame. It was not worth the $12K, maybe $5K. I used it for several years and did get good usage out of it but I finally spent about a week learning to weld aluminum and fixing it with welding aluminum and bolting iron cross braces under it.

Cub Cadet 3205.  Maybe it was okay if you had a perfectly level yard in town. Never held up on a farm situation. The grass always plugged up under the belt guards on the deck, always breaking the guage wheels off. It would collect grass on the engine and choke off the air supply to the carburator. It would overheat if you left the side shields on. We killed it in 5 seasons.  Went back to the Old 12 HP Kohler cub cadets again, they will run forever!

I know I will be chastised but a 2250 loader mounted on a 1086 was muy most regrettable purchase.  Broke the mounting bracket off bucket and twisted the bucket like a rag. Chained to floor and heated it with a big rose tip. Straighten it  back, new paint and down the road it went. I bought a diamond engagement ring for my first wife. She wasnt worth a sh*t either. In defense of the  loader, i did a lot of things to it I shouldn't of. Ie clearing fence lines and pushing stumps. Bought a 930 cat loader after my short marriage. Indestructible!

John Deere 5525 open station. My uncle had to have it, I suggested a narrow model but he wanted the standard model. Now we have a tractor with bent scv handles, cool high speed leaning exhaust and it has electrical gremlins since the cover for the fuse panel on the fender got ripped off by a tree and rained on. It might be a good tractor out in a hay field but it just doesn’t work in the orchard.

3594 Case. Will not call it a Case IH as international had nothing to do with it. Made me buy all John Deere tractors for a long time 

Second worse Allis 190XT.

Smart Till tillage tool without a doubt we demo'd a new one in the fall of 2013 it had large spikes kind of like an aerway on front and a rolling harrow on the rear we pulled it across some corn stalks and it looked like it did a great job. We were about to make a deal on it when we found a low acre used one just south of Chicago almost 15000$ less so off we went about 2AM and drove up 6 hours and bought it . Bright idea was to pull it home with the 1 ton ,but we couldn't take the interstate all two lane highways and back roads, by the time we got to the Missouri side it was getting late so we found a truck stop and unhooked it and went home about 80 miles without it . Early the next morning we headed back to retrieve it needless to say i won' t try that again.

It gets better next spring we took it out and worked a creek bottom for corn i went in about two hours later with the planter. No more than i started planting i thought man this field is rough but it had been fall ripped so i blamed it on that. In the mean time they had worked another patch a nice long smooth bottom i was glad to get there after planting the first field at 3 MPH no more than i started the tractor started bouncing %&$#^&&%$ i had no phone service so i couldn't call the guy running it   so i chased him down with the tractor and planter told him to take that damn thing back home and get the old rig back out. The spikes on that thing made a nice even pattern invisible to the naked eye after the harrow went over it but in the seat of the tractor it was a perfect wash board.

Not mine but dad's 560 gas I loved that tractor, but what a POS. I remember when he brought it home brand new. Every time he put it to a hard pull, it would burn valves. Every spring during tillage and every fall during silage chopping you could count on it spending time in the shop. Heck, I think they probably had a stall in the shop with it's name on it. Never did figure out what the cause was. Even had reps from the factory look at it. If you never pulled it hard, it was a joy. Finally traded for a 706 G.    That 706 was a good tractor, but you needed to add saddle tanks to the thing for fuel just to keep it fed. Damn it was thirsty. Mine isn't any better.

Some duds our farm had over the years

John Deere 4020 diesel, didn't run like it should and the transmission went bad

John Deere 3010 gas, didn't run like it should and was expensive on clutches

John Deere 440 offset disk, got balled up with mud

John Deere rotary hoe, not bad, but how often do you use a rotary hoe?

Farm King bottom-drive PTO auger, would break a shear bolt regularly while augering

I might think of some more.

Case IH L300 loader, a welder's nightmare

Well..my daughter wanted a horse..and then my wife did too...

Finally got rid of them last summer.

The horses that is...

38 minutes ago, new guy said:

Well..my daughter wanted a horse..and then my wife did too...

Finally got rid of them last summer.

The horses that is...

I feel your pain. Wish wife would get rid of a few more of hers. Seems like it's sell one buy two.

5 hours ago, Cattech said:

JD 220 bi-fold disc. Never level and usually broken.

Dang it! I had forgot the pain of owning one of those and you brought it back!

Not me but my grandfather, brought a Ford 5000 selectamatic 

Engine replace first year under warranty as the old one wouldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding...

gearbox trouble all the time, every time the truck went to town so did it...

Brought it on the strength of the Fordson power major and eventually traded it on the 696 ( Geelong built, large frame 66 series back end with D310) 

Thanks guys for the posts....this is actually what I was looking forward to reading.  I don't recall my grandpa ever saying he wish he didn't buy this or that, but I do remember him always working on his 915 combine.

10 Ayrshire springing heifers. September 12, 2001. 

I was looking to fill another 10 stalls with Jerseys, but at that time, there were none to be had. Came across these 10 Ayrshires up near Chippewa Falls (WI) that had just been imported from a couple of farms in Canada. I figured, "Not my first choice, but they probably give more fat and protein then a Black and White." What a bunch of crappy cows - don't know if it was just these 10, or the whole Ayrshire breed. Probably a bit of both. Health, calving, breeding problems, all the while my Jerseys were doing fine, as usual. Finally, by the time the ones who were actually good enough to stay around for future lactations were bred to better bulls, we did get some _nicer_Ayrshires in the later generations. Still no match to the Jerseys. Perhaps just a wee bit better than a Guernsey. We have only one purebred Ayrshire left. And just a couple Ayrshire/Swedish Red crossbreeds. 

As I recall, the heifers back then in 2001 were $1400/ea. Goodness, I can't even begin to imagine how much bred heifers are worth today! I wonder who could even afford them, what with the rate of inflation since then.

Yep, never should have purchased them. I was an even worse farmer then than I am now!

Keith-

7 minutes ago, KeithFink said:

10 Ayrshire springing heifers. September 12, 2001. 

I was looking to fill another 10 stalls with Jerseys, but at that time, there were none to be had. Came across these 10 Ayrshires up near Chippewa Falls (WI) that had just been imported from a couple of farms in Canada. I figured, "Not my first choice, but they probably give more fat and protein then a Black and White." What a bunch of crappy cows - don't know if it was just these 10, or the whole Ayrshire breed. Probably a bit of both. Health, calving, breeding problems, all the while my Jerseys were doing fine, as usual. Finally, by the time the ones who were actually good enough to stay around for future lactations were bred to better bulls, we did get some _nicer_Ayrshires in the later generations. Still no match to the Jerseys. Perhaps just a wee bit better than a Guernsey. We have only one purebred Ayrshire left. And just a couple Ayrshire/Swedish Red crossbreeds. 

As I recall, the heifers back then in 2001 were $1400/ea. Goodness, I can't even begin to imagine how much bred heifers are worth today! I wonder who could even afford them, what with the rate of inflation since then.

Yep, never should have purchased them. I was an even worse farmer then than I am now!

Keith-

The few that were here I really loved...............They were docile and never gave any health issues, and made milk.  I really liked them..................Neighbors had a whole herd of Ayrshires years ago they were quite proud of them.  

6 hours ago, hillskinefarms said:

TP, you really need to work harder at convincing your wife you need a new Lorenz.......<_<

Actually, with the ag economy the way it is right now, I am working at trying to get a really nice 355 NH bought that is close to me.  We will see.  Actually just put new flighting on the unload auger on the POS Gehl last night.  I would think it shouldn't be too long their won't be much more to fly apart.