1206 hydraulic problems

tw77

I have a 1206. Changed the hytran and filter a couple years ago. Pulled a discbine and grain drill. Nothing else hooked to it. I was mowing hay and the steering starting whining. Then the pto got weak and hydraulics wouldn't work. No steering and barely any brakes. The ta even started acting up. I unhooked it and eased on the trailer to haul back. It barely crawled up on the trailer and jerked like the ta or maybe the clutch was kicking in and out. Just wondering if changing the filter alone should fix it or if the hytran needs to be changed. And we ran pure hytran in the transmission and final drives. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Being as 3 different pumps  and 2 different filters are acting up are you sure you have any oil in the system ? You don't mention checking it.That would be my first guess that you just have to add oil and find the leak. Otherwise Its a crap shoot to tell from your description but I think if every thing is plugged up you would have to change the filter and oil along with figuring out what contaminated it. 

check to see if the pto will work. if not, I think you might have stripped the splines out of the pressure plate. the pressure plate drives the hydraulic pumps and the pto.

I dipped the hytran and its in the operating range, not quite full. What filter is there besides the one down low on the right side of the transmission?

The pto would come and go at first and then wouldn't do much of anything best I remember  we've had it parked a while and I'm just now getting around to working on it and haven't cranked it and I don't think the trans light worked

I plan to change filter first chance I get but could the fluid be the problem or just the filter? My dad said years ago an 806 did about the same thing and it was like the hytran gelled up or changed properties or something. He changed fluid and filter and no problem since. The fluid looks clean and doesn't seem thicker or thinner or anything. It's probably only been 4 or 5 years since the hytran change. A few hundred hours run time. 

The PTO, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't use the hydraulic filter. It's a self-contained system but it pulls oil directly from the differential housing.

The fluid on the tip of the dipstick isn't necessarily representative of everything in the sump, so it's probably a good idea to drain.

What's in there would have to be a total sludge disaster to be having the problems you're having , but it seems to me like the problems would have crept up gradually, not all at once. Unless you've been inadvertently ignoring the symptoms for quite a while, maybe?

If it happened all of a sudden would put money on splines in pressure plate wore out.  You need a set of gauges on it.   If sprag in ta good would pull in low side of ta with zero hydraulic pressure.  That could explain the lurching going on trailer if you had ta handle ahead and it was going in and out of direct drive.

X3 on the quill shaft/pressure plate. Maybe even a pressure plate breaking apart.   All the pumps and PTO are driven from the quill shaft.   If they all failed, nearly got to be the problem (unless totally out of oil).  Jerking moving onto the trailer could also be the quill shaft jumping, making the TA pump come and go.  Drop the cover under the clutch housing...you may find grindings or even bolts laying down there.  If you do its definite, not finding anything --it could have just wore out over time.  Split the tractor at the clutch---most likely find the problem.

Just an update. I drained the oil out of the belly of the tractor and both plugs in the center section of the tractor. I assume one is mcv and the other ta. Some sludge in the front plugs. Oil in the transmission still looked and smelled good. It wasn't very dirty or discolored or sludgy/emulsified. But the filter was a different story. The filter itself was filthy and the screen was coated over pretty bad. Some trash and a few tiny metal shavings but mostly dark sludge and stuff. But on the outside of the filter there were two pieces of heavy paper or cardboard about 2x4 inches each. They are black and one is 2 pieces made together with corrugation just like cardboard. Not sure if it's actually cardboard or filter paper but the filter was completely in tact. I've seen people use cardboard to make a one time funnel so maybe it is cardboard and got down in the tractor?

There was also a glob of blue, I assume #2 gasket maker, about the size of a quarter. Anyway I changed the filter and put new oil and it seems to have fixed the problem. The tractor steers and moves good and pto at least engages with no load  

I also robbed the filter cover off a junk 1086 and put it on instead so it will be easy to change the hydraulic filter more frequently from now on

Archived