The Tractor that Never was!!

Oliver's Corporate Tractor was killed by the White Motor Company, a modern tractor which never but almost came into production. Only parts of the tractor are still known to exist and this video.

• Like 3

I'll bite, what can you tell me about it.  The thing I picked up on was the ambac model 100 fuel pump.

Looks like some sort of hydro? End of video showing the guy moving the lever forward with no shift detents.

There used to be a Oliver guy on You tube that claimed Oliver had the IVT or CVT all figured out and white never produced it I would guess that is what that is . The way they 1/2 a$$ed everything else they built I can imagine what a engineering marvel that would have been .I would venture to say that if there was no such thing as a mechanic(meaning that the owner had to do all the repairs on what he purchased) that you would never sell 2 of those POS's to the same guy.Now that said I have a 1755 and a cummins waiting to get married don't know why , I don't remember a recent head injury .  It was cheap and they caught me in a moment of weakness I guess

Watching that video again got me wondering if that is a experimental IVT and I have lived in Iowa all my life and know people from all over the state and live in what was once a real hot Oliver White area wouldn't you think that someone would know somebody that worked on it at Oliver or saw it at a dealer meeting or saw it tested somewhere I had never heard of it until a year or so ago from the guy on You Tube. If their is someone on here that lived up by Charles City ,Ia maybe they will have heard more about it

Well I don't know how old grand pa was but I've heard alot of the old timers say anything was better than working at the business end of a horse all day.I think back in the 77/88 days they would have been ok but in later stuff their engines they used just weren't suited to heavy work . And then if you have to work on them ,they have somethings that look like they hired engineers that flunked out of college or they took the blueprint home and let their 2nd grader draw on them

Looks like the video is showing the trans stopping and engaging with the plow buried. 

4x4 axle looks like a Belarus style one in the "driving in the curb"

dualled one is LONG. What engine is that?

7 minutes ago, 495man said:

Looks like the video is showing the trans stopping and engaging with the plow buried. 

4x4 axle looks like a Belarus style one in the "driving in the curb"

dualled one is LONG. What engine is that?

Would that be a Moline engine?

I'M guessing Hercules they used them in quit a few tractors 2/135   2/155 that I can think of also 20 or2150 I think .They were great for the dealers because they need a MOH every 3000 hrs and cant be done in frame and the parts are outragous. Good income for the dealers

Yeah, the wing nut on You tube claimed Oliver had an IVT all ready to go, and claimed the tooling for the new line was all built and ready to put in to build them, but at the last minute White scrapped it all and put the 55's together at the last minute.  I am not disagreeing about the IVT part............They probably had one in a crude form, but getting it to work 100% was almost out of the realm of reality at that time.  He also claimed they had a new 400+ cube powerplant they were going to use.  I sure hope it was better than the boat anchor engines they did use!  I am guessing this topic was reported in Oliver Magazines and those might have all the facts and not the embellishments of a Oliver fanatic who thought the 310 was a great engine.

I had an 1850D and with the Perkins, it was a darn good tractor, although the brakes by that time should have been power without a doubt, Over/Under was sweet, and it handled nice.  With that said, I don't think I would own one of the 310 Diesel powered ship wrecks unless I had a Cummins to drop in....................IMO they screwed up majorly with that powerplant, anyone with a brain at that time could see the market wanted power, trying to get it out of a 310 Cube engine was nothing but a suicide mission...............It didn't work, and the big 478(Pretty sure that was the cubes) Herc wasn't a much better choice either.  Never understood why they didn't stick with Perkins, and even though they made alot of noise, the old rattle trap Detroits would get work done!

• Like 1

Just from a google search White built their own engine factory next to Hercules plant to build their own engines this tractor was to have a 429 engine and white trucks were to get a 900 inch engine.  Their plan was to use own engines in all lineup.Plant never made engines other than prototypes. Perkins bought the plant later according to internet.  They say a ivt trans was being developed but it appears to be just a hydro tractor . Also a 3 speed powershift ahead of a 5 speed trans . And late over under tractors did have a 3 speed unit. I agree we had a 1850 for a bit with a Perkins it was a good tractor. The Oliver engine was a Waukesha and laters were Hercules in white. There is a prototype white in a museum in Charles city they say.

There is a lot more info on this tractor on the ytmag.com site.  Just look under the Oliver and Cockshutt forum.  A poster there has put a lot of stuff up from the Floyd county museum in Iowa and they have a lot of Oliver stuff.

That first tractor in the video looks like a cross between a Minnie Mo and an Oliver with a Moline or Hercules engine.

We bought a new 1750 Diesel when I was in college, it would eat up a 4020 Diesel that was turned up to 100 hp anywhere you put it.  The farm my dad was managing at the time was sold in 1971 and the people who bought it got all the machinery. I heard that a year or 2 later it threw a rod and windowed the block, it was cowboyed hard after it left us.

• 2 months later...

In the early 1960s a Swiss tractor maker Vevey designed a revolutionary new transmission and showed it to there dealers and they loved it and saw that this could make it to be a top sell but sadly behind closet doors the company told them they will stop making tractors and so that new tractor like many went to the junkyard and scrapt. That new transmission was electric hydraulik.

971154552_VeveyRhone622.jpg.75604258080ea46a38b484d932c7a950.jpg392963755_VeveyRhone623.jpg.c53afc58beb4631e1fa698c62e7e04ea.jpg342482687_VeveyRhone626.jpg.8254cb53bcb602538b807941ba014c2e.jpg467474526_VeveyRhone62.jpg.4852b84d13ca4668757e9da396f3ee5e.jpg 

• 1 year later...

Image result for Meili P 66 traktor

The Meili Company used there model  P 66 to test a hydro drive in the 50s but because the seals weren't so good at the time the idea was scraped but the tractor was then used as the bases with a friction drive but even that idea wasn't continued after testing the tractor. at the end the tractor was so over welded that they just scraped it.