RedWisc

986 FWA swap to 1586

What would be involved swappng a 986 FWA to a 1586 with the 3 to 4 speed, tire size, and 1585 planetary rear end differances to overcome?

2 minutes ago, RedWisc said:

What would be involved swappng a 986 FWA to a 1586 with the 3 to 4 speed, tire size, and 1585 planetary rear end differances to overcome?

I think that the tire size and the rear axle ratio compared to the front axle ratio would be the issues. I think it doesn't matter how many speed transmission ( or Hydro for that matter)

The drop box on the 15s run a different gear ratio because of the different transmission. Tire size will need to be changed according to what the tractor already has on it. Is this an Elwood or Coleman?

6 minutes ago, RedPower5488 said:

The drop box on the 15s run a different gear ratio because of the different transmission. Tire size will need to be changed according to what the tractor already has on it. Is this an Elwood or Coleman?

I don't know my front ends well, but it's the better one. I'll work on more info. Thanks

I believe that you will need the wet bolster to have the 4x4 unit hooked up to the steering wheel ? 

Transfer case gearing is different. 

Transfer case is geared WAY different. I think it was calculated once that you would need 20.8-42 rears with maybe an 11.2-24 to make it work.

I just looked it up in the parts book.

986 transfer case for an Elwood uses a 32 tooth gear.

1586 transfer case for an Elwood uses a 42 tooth gear.

So, it won't work without a completely different transfer case. You can't just swap gears because the 42T gear is much larger in diameter. You can't make a 42T gear that's the same diameter as the 32T gear because the teeth will be too small and won't mesh.

Dad tried to buy an Elwood axle one exceptionally wet fall, but it was for a 1586. In order to put it on the 1066 with 20.8x38 rears, they calculated out that it would need 18.4x28 fronts. Suffice it to say he returned everything and someone else bought the axle and put it on a 1586... Now that I have a 1586, I really wish we had that axle back.

4 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

So, it won't work without a completely different transfer case. You can't just swap gears because the 42T gear is much larger in diameter. You can't make a 42T gear that's the same diameter as the 32T gear because the teeth will be too small and won't mesh.

Dad tried to buy an Elwood axle one exceptionally wet fall, but it was for a 1586. In order to put it on the 1066 with 20.8x38 rears, they calculated out that it would need 18.4x28 fronts. Suffice it to say he returned everything and someone else bought the axle and put it on a 1586... Now that I have a 1586, I really wish we had that axle back.

Thanks for the info, I guess it simply won't work on the 1586 then due to the transfer case.  May have to scoop it up for another project, but I REALLY wanted it to be under the 1586.

Get ahold of Ed Leaman on this site.  He has rebuilt and made parts for those transfer cases on some of those older MFD tractors.  He may have something or can lead you in the right direction.

He goes by Ed Leaman on here.

Matt

9 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I counted the teeth on the parts coming off the 986, 38 teeth.  Elwood front end, serial # 18005 if that helps at all?

You got me. I just went into the online parts book to see what the difference was in the transfer case. As of right this moment I'm assuming the axles themselves are the same between the two.

If the ratio in the front end itself is the same, it may be possible to use it on the 1586 with the right size wheels and tires. 

Out of curiosity what size tires were on the 986 front and rear?

Rears are 18.4's, I left notes with front size at work, I'll post another day. 

Don't even consider the tire swap thing;  easiest is to find a correct transfer case and trade your way into the one you need, but you should verify which R&P ratio you currently have  in the front axle. as there are two different gear sets used on the axles built in that time frame and two different gears used in transfer cases of the 3 speed trans tractors.

ed

Ed, the 38-tooth transfer case has me scratching my head. That's pretty much exactly in between the 32 tooth for the 9/10/14 series tractors and the 42 tooth for the 15. The parts books don't call for anything else. Any insight?