Not Red but it's Blue

I'm new here. I own 2 Ford 5000's and just bought my first red tractor, Case IH 7140, couple months ago. I love to restore tractors and just about anything. Thought I would share the progress on one of my Ford 5000 tractors. My great grandfather, 95 and still kicking, bought it new in 1968. It ended up with my grandpa who raised me. After saving for many years I bought my own 135 acre ranch getting ready for retirement from the Army in 3 years. My grandpa gave me the Ford 5000 with just 2300 original hours and I have been working on it the past 3 years when I get time. It's almost finished with just the rear hubs and wheels needing some paint. And after that I'll install the freshly painted fenders. It was a fun project and when this one is finished I'm going to tear into my other Ford 5000 as big red can handle it's duties until then.

phone 055.JPG

Looks nice!                Back in early '70s , Hwy. dept. had 5000 gas w/select.o.speed that I used with a 15' Woods Batwing for right of way mowing. Would have preferred a diesel.

If I couldn't run red I'd run blue. There's a lot of 5000s around here that have over 12K hrs and the valve cover has never been off of them. Had several clutches though.

Thanks everyone! It's been a fun project!

Stronger800 nice yard of Ford's! I was looking for a TW-15, 8670, or 8830 for a cab tractor. Found the Case IH 7140 and couldn't turn it down. 

Rainman that tractor is my primary mowing tractor. I use a Howse 8' HD pull mower on it. It gets the job done easily. 

Eason it's funny you mention the hours. The valve cover was opened on my grandfathers Ford 7700 2 years ago for a new gasket only lol. It has over 14,000hrs and still going strong. When I popped the valve cover on this one and it was extremely clean. My great grandpa was a mechanic for Ford/NH for over 40 years before he retired. After he got ill, the tractor sat outside for 15 years at least! The original tin was in bad shape and hard to find. So I put newer sheet metal on it and have the flattop fenders to go on.

Here is what it did look like when I picked it up. 

phone 002.JPG

12342290_1061123653950264_7229586115322669587_n.jpg