Letter Series at Work

I love Letter Series ! esp W series. I did a rough tally on the total production numbers of the Letter Series ( including Supers ) and its around 1,050,000 units made without the Cub . Yet there is a few  who just won't let up on them . ....whatever. What other series of tractor made by any company sold that many tractors. AND they were not cheap throwaways like some clunkers. I have been inside enough tractors to appreciate the quality and durability of these machines.  So I thought we could tell or show with pics what little job your Letter Series still does for you. If you hate them please start your own thread on why you don't care for them:blink:  I believe the Letter Series is what started the love we have for the red tractors. IH had such a presence in the rural culture in so many ways in that era

I am just a hobby farmer /collector with a Farmall 656D and 434d as my modern tractors ;)  I try to use a Letter Series if I have a job they can do. My favorite plow is a 8C - 2  ace bottom plow with a W4, sure makes for a smooth field if I have time.

Lets see what you have!

DSCI1661.JPG

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

anyone else got a pic or two? I took my SW6 up for a load of corn late last summer and tried to get a scenic picture of Now and Zhen

Plowing snow with SM-TA Plow day with SM-TA and Super H SM-TA on auger duty with Super C in the background on the header cart. SM making north of 150 horse that my wife and I have had a

From this weekend.  L-R 1947 Super A, 1950 Super A with fast hitch #120 disk, and 1949 Farmall Cub with A-193 plow.   Al

Posted Images

Big thumbs up. The letter series is the refinement to the F series and regular the first row crop tractor. These paved the way to sell almost 6 million tractors by the mid '80s. I believe that is almost three times more than the closest competition did in the similar time 

The letter series are my favorite in every way.  They don't have everything a 2018 tractor does, but for 1939 + they had darn near everything anyone could want...plus the styling was great!  Grew up driving an H; Dad's got a SWD9 and a W9 that are favorites as well.  

Like Hillman said about them "W" series,  SW6 got me into IH as kid.  Had this old girl out for its 65th year to plié snow.  Not an action shot,  but the snow flying & tire chains were a digging once the door was opened.  My great uncle brought it new,  my Grandfather brought the tractor from him 2yrs later.  My Dad said it had higher compression pistons installed & a clutch at the same time.  Far as he knows that was it for major mechanical repairs.

IMG_0009.JPG

Couldn't find much on short notice.  Here's the Super M waiting to do its customary job - pull hay trailers.  In the background of the second picture you can see the C at its regular task - pulling a rake.  I'll see if I can find some more.  Like you guys, we use the old ones for things they can do.

hay.jpg

hay2.png

very nice pictures guys! keep the pics and stories coming! I have a #70 and #80 snowblower but I can hit the switch on this old w6 and be pushing snow very quickly

snow 003.jpg

On February 14, 2018 at 7:38 PM, Rainman said:

Not working. ..but getting ready to plow. 

20171021_161634.jpg

20171021_161554.jpg

Super C , one of finest , underrated! IMO 👍🏿👀🤓🚜🏃

More playing than work , but my 1947 W4 still gets put to work from time to time on a friends farm. The plow is a single furrow of an unknown brand and was saved from going on the scrap metal truck. Not the nicest plowing ever done but gives the old tractor a good run. Sure fills the day in, plowing one furrow at a time.

Marty,NZ

IMG_2661.JPG

IMG_2679.JPG

IMG_2683.JPG

But some here think the fact the letter series, W and Farmalls, did not incorporate a 3-point hitch into their design relegates them to the scrap heap today, makes them incapable of doing useful work today.

Dad used the Fast Hitch on our 450 frequently,  had a 6 ft blade, 4F-43 fully mounted 4-14 plow for a couple years, rear gang on the cultivator, and a 5 ft IH BushHog that was built like a battleship we chopped corn stalks with a couple years.  450 flew thru the field in 4th gear!

We had no problem finding things to do with the Super H to put on 250 hours every year, Bet the M got about that many hours most years too.  The only tractor we had with a 3-point was the 4010 which we did not use at all, used the rockshaft to raise/lower left side of the front mount cultivator, lower draft arms just got in the way, but the draft bar seals leaked like ALL Deere's did.

Don't know if you consider parading work but I can share these. 

54 Super M L.P. pulling two Stanhoist built IH barge boxes mounted on two twin reach 6 bolt IH running gears. One 6 X 12 box and one 6 X 10 box.

54 Super MTA pulling two Knapheide built IH barge boxes mounted on two single reach 5 bolt IH running gears. Both 6 X 12 boxes. The front wagon has a steel floor and back wagon has a wood floor.

20170805_153649.jpg

20170805_153735.jpg

this is not my W6. We went to a show 3 years ago and saw a guy pull in hauling that Rumely behind his big rig ;)He said he came about 20 miles if my memory is correct

DSCI1758.JPG