Red 56 Turbo

Tractor hauling in the winter/salt spray

Quick question for everyone.  I've gotta go pick up a 450 Diesel this weekend.  Unfortunately, it looks like I may run into a little snow.  Not a real big deal.  My concern is the salt spray from the roads, and what it could do to the tractor.  I'd like to delay picking it up, but might not have a choice.  Not restored, but pretty decent original paint.  Anybody ever dealt with this and had any issues?  Recommendations?  Or should I not worry too much about it.  I figure once I get it home, I'll hose it off best I can with warm, soapy water to start.  Thanks in advance.

I know on some new tractors when you order the have a option for a protective coating for winter hauling and I think Jd has it for the ones that come across the pond?? 

Could you mist it with kerosene or diesel then wash that off to keep salt off 

at the state garage we use fluid film on our loaders that load salt in the trucks 

that mist seems to get in everything too

A 450 diesel should be able to fit in an enclosed trailer fairly easy, I'd think.... Just an idea.

Travis

Good question, I would consider gallon fluid film sprayed on from a gun .  Trap is not to goo good for paint the abrasive of the wind and trap on paint ,not to good so don't recommend it . 

DO NOT HAUL in salt.   I bought an X-Mark lawnmower in January one year.  I covered it with a tarp, tucked down as well as I could, and brought it home just 20 miles on a open trailer, immediately pressure washed it really well, lots of soap and water.   1 year later---all the little nylon coated cables holding the pins in place are all rusted off, rusted bolts, anyplace that was not painted is rusty.   You can tell its from the road salt...its that kind of corrosion. 

My parent's modular home was delivered mid winter.   2 years later, rustcicles were forming on the steel frames, it was horrible.   We had to hang tarps around a 20 x 20 section in the basement, put on a respirator, go in with scrapers,  angle grinder w/steel brush, sandblaster, anything to get it off.   Then use some special high dollar rust preventative paint.   It worked, but the worst job I ever did.  Took weeks!   

A pump sprayer and diesel fuel or light oil is actually not a bad idea if you have to haul it in the open.   Spray it down everywhere, all angles.  

I'm going to second Jeff-C-IL:  Don't haul in salt spray (or dust)!  You'll have rust up the ying-yang and there's no way you're going to get all of that salt out of the cracks and crevices.  Wait till the salt has washed off the roads in the Spring (salt dust is just as bad a salt spray), or rent/haul in an enclosed trailer, or cover completely with a tarp tied down well to avoid flapping and haul on a dry day.  If you had a flatbed truck and could get it up off the ground higher, you might get away with hauling it without covering it on a day when the roads are completely dry (no slush  or melt from the sides of the roads)

I'm with Jeff-C-IL and tputnamjr.  When we got our new mower tractor in 2014 it came in january in a storm.  It was in Sioux Falls SD at Tiger corp. to have the mower system put on and that is where it was shipped from to here in Pa.  It rode in the salt the whole way here to us. 2 years later in 2016 a small brace in the cab used to help hold their control box and had pushed on the window seal had allowed enough salt in on the trip that it had all the paint stripped off and was completely covered in rust scale.  Last spring while performing spring service on it too get it ready for the season I had to clean down and repaint the entire oil pan and other areas under the front of the tractor including parts of the front axle and its mount as well as around the bell housing.  The green on it doesn't look right either, it has a dull look to it.  All the tractor does is sweep anti skid off intersections from winter in the spring and sweep roads after the belt loader in early summer. The rest of the summer it just rolls along at 4mph mowing shoulders.  It is stored inside all the time and it see's NO work in the winter.  I would not recommend hauling something in the winter. 

bought 4-5 with stipulation delivered roads dry no salt!!....purchase 11/25 deliver after 3/15

passed on 2 dec/jan as sellers would not wait

tring to get details on 1 this week/month...but seems to be scam...same generic photos no numbers or other info freely.like you dont need to know why keep asking...

I feel bad for the guy with the i think 5088 goin down the interstate last year heading east it was on the back of a drop deck and it was literally brown from all the ice and crap off the road looked about 3 inched thick froze to the tractor!

It's an old, not overly complicated  to clean tractor.   Mist it with diesel mixed with a bit of new motor oil in a hand sprayer, wash it and dry it when you get home.  I hate salt as much as the next guy,  so I just wash things realllllly good. 

Can you not get a big tarpaulin to completely cover the tractor and then use the big rubber bands or rope to tie the tarp to the tractor tightly so that no salt penetrates the tarp? We used to get machine tools delivered in the dead of winter when there was a lot of salt. The way they protected the tools was to double wrap with a tarpaulin and use rubber bands to hold the tarps tightly in place. The company never had any problems with the tools afterward. 

Wrap it in saran wrap....might miss the tires and rims but should be fairly easy to clean those plus no tarp flapping against it...

8 hours ago, Red 56 Turbo said:

Quick question for everyone.  I've gotta go pick up a 450 Diesel this weekend.  Unfortunately, it looks like I may run into a little snow.  Not a real big deal.  My concern is the salt spray from the roads, and what it could do to the tractor.  I'd like to delay picking it up, but might not have a choice.  Not restored, but pretty decent original paint.  Anybody ever dealt with this and had any issues?  Recommendations?  Or should I not worry too much about it.  I figure once I get it home, I'll hose it off best I can with warm, soapy water to start.  Thanks in advance.

You making it harder t'han it needs to be. Load the tractor and haul it home. If it gets salt or ice on it give it a good bath.  A 450 is not hard to power wash. We haul a lot of expensive equipment (like cranes Forklifts excavator) in bad weather. Sometime they look like ice cubes when we unload them. We just power wash them good.  Never has any problems 

12 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

DO NOT HAUL in salt.   I bought an X-Mark lawnmower in January one year.  I covered it with a tarp, tucked down as well as I could, and brought it home just 20 miles on a open trailer, immediately pressure washed it really well, lots of soap and water.   1 year later---all the little nylon coated cables holding the pins in place are all rusted off, rusted bolts, anyplace that was not painted is rusty.   You can tell its from the road salt...its that kind of corrosion. 

My parent's modular home was delivered mid winter.   2 years later, rustcicles were forming on the steel frames, it was horrible.   We had to hang tarps around a 20 x 20 section in the basement, put on a respirator, go in with scrapers,  angle grinder w/steel brush, sandblaster, anything to get it off.   Then use some special high dollar rust preventative paint.   It worked, but the worst job I ever did.  Took weeks!   

A pump sprayer and diesel fuel or light oil is actually not a bad idea if you have to haul it in the open.   Spray it down everywhere, all angles.  

Could be from lawn fertilizer, very corrosive stuff.

So I work in salt all winter here is what we do.

Take a clean bucket and put barking soda in it. We used a hole box one of the small ones. Then we add a quart of purple power. And a quart of car wash soap. Mix it up then put in a pump sprayer then spray it all over. Then hit it with the power washer. This works good for us, we have been using it for two years now. It even works good for your truck and car. And a hole bucket will last a while. But the key ingredient is the baking soda you need to neutralize the salt. 

Sorry for the late reply.  Forum's been acting up as everyone probably knows.  Thanks for all the input, ideas to keep the salt out, and ideas to clean it well.  I've seen tractors hauled in the salt before and even with cleaning, they looked tough and had wiring issues.  I've been torn on what to do.  Initially when I planned to snag the tractor, it was supposed to be warmer (30-40 degrees) and sunny.  Well, still in the 30's, but snow/rain mix.  Not only do I not want to submit the tractor to the salt, but also my brother's trailer I'm borrowing.  He isn't too keen about running it in the winter/salt.  I have to respect that.  So I did talk with the seller, and he's agreed to let me pick it up within the next 30 days or so since the weather's gonna be crappy.  And he'll store it inside until I can snag it.  Can't beat that.  Still some good guys out there.  Kinda stinks because I wanted to get it home and play around with it.  Thanks again for the replies and ideas.  That's what makes RPM great.   

You won't be sorry you waited. I bought my first 826 during the winter months. Part of the deal was the seller keeping it till nice weather came around. When we went and picked it up the seller was glad we waited as well. Said the road in front his house was white from salt all winter. Sure I had to wait 5-6 months to play with my new toy. It was 630 miles round trip. Much nicer in May than it would've been in December or January.

On 2/15/2018 at 7:19 PM, 2 hot 2 farm 1256 said:

So I work in salt all winter here is what we do.

Take a clean bucket and put barking soda in it. We used a hole box one of the small ones. Then we add a quart of purple power. And a quart of car wash soap. Mix it up then put in a pump sprayer then spray it all over. Then hit it with the power washer. This works good for us, we have been using it for two years now. It even works good for your truck and car. And a hole bucket will last a while. But the key ingredient is the baking soda you need to neutralize the salt. 

We're in road salt and road brine country. The problem with trying to neutralize salt is getting the baking soda solution into the cracks and crevices where salt lingers.  Salt damage may take a few years to show up but once it does, it's too late.  The body shop people around here shake their heads at how often this happens.  But, it's good for their business.