Calls on Cell Phone

DWF

I've been getting some calls on my cell phone that come up as Restricted. I have not been answering them as they don't seem right and never leave a message. Last week while driving the school bus the phone rang it's normal amount of rings before going to voice mail then did the same thing two more times within a minute or two. I've had scam calls but they always show a number vs these restricted calls. Anyone else have had this happen?

DWF

I had been getting them quite often, now when they don't leave a message after 3 consecutive calls I block number. I have been diligent and it's starting to slow down. What's next with these scum bags?

Same here, miss a call from a weird number then the next thing you know I am getting calls from other areas. Those people are saying they had a missed call from my number. One guy got plum pi$$ed off at me because he didn't believe me that it was scammers ghosting my number somehow. What are they doing and can anyone explain what they are trying to accomplish? its hard to defend yourself if you don't know what they are trying to do.

Yes lots of them. Won't leave a message also Hang up before going to voice mail. A few trick me with a local number too. USDA calls all the time when crop numbers are due, If I don't answer landline starts ringing 30 seconds later which doesn't get answered. 

It's is terrible here too , everyday ??? if I could reach through that phone they would never make another call again !!! Becareful of the credit card scam . Push one to talk to a rep , well I have been and soon as they come on they ask if I pushed one to talk to a rep , don't say yes because there recording your voice so they can use it later to buy stuff . 

Those a$$ holes keep hanging up soon as I tell them to remove me from there list . The calls are coming from our local numbers so I answer it thinking its someone calling my shop phone ?

Danny

Just today I got a txt message from someone interested in buying my boat.  Seemed suspicious.

Them: "Hi, want to buy ur bike. can I call u now?"

Me: "Do you mean boat?  Yes, you can call now. "

Them: "calling, plz receive my call and press 52 to connect with me as I'm calling from Google Phone"

Phone rings with some automated thing asking for a code. I was suspicious so I Google searched it and found that this is a scam. If you type in that code it will link their Google phone account to your phone number and they can make calls using your phone number.  Glad I checked.

Might be the cause of Missouri Mule's suspicious missed calls.  

I got one with from my number with the last 4 numbers reversed. It’s really tough. I get a lot of calls from people in the area and the scammers use local numbers. I’m sure if they put as much effort into a job they could be rich

Since I work on houses, I often get calls from people who've moved here from some other part of the country and have area codes that I'm not familiar with.  The local lumber company hands out my name a lot, along with a couple of others, so if I don't answer and the caller has another guy or two to call, I may miss out on a good client.

So I take most calls, although for several months I've gotten calls from the same prefix as mine, and they go like this " hi, this Wendy and our records show that you've stayed at one of our resorts..."  Haven't figured out how to block calls on my phone, so I just let it ring or hang up fast.

Funny story from last year: a guy calls from an unfamiliar area code and says ""hi, is this Steve?  This is Greg ----- ".  So I said "listen Greg, I'm really busy and I don't have time for any crap.  What have you got?"  So Greg says "I live next door to your daughter, and you've worked for me before.  I need some work done on my storage shed."

Well, I apologized up one side and down the other, but Greg understood since he gets the same calls we all do.  And the job turned out great.

congress/state is busy wasting our $$$$$

but making it a crime to ghost the # is in the works along with blocking it

I dont answer unless it is a known name

get 8-10 a month from same base prefix never a message

best was 3x every month someone  called and left long........ detailed message

,finally I called right back.(no answer strange # )..turns out sally likes to drive/travel NEng to Fla,...2 very nice retired women one able $$$ to travel

car would auto call mary  and sally would proceed to give the days travel updates,

I said interesting trips you take ,mary probably worries you dont check in, but calves perk up  to hear of exotic travels..tell your car to use marys #.....have a safe trip

You can blame the same class of schitt that screws everything else up, the politicians.  You can bet money passed hands that allows cell phone companies to hand out our numbers.  I quit answering the house phone years ago and started relying on my cell phone.  Now, the phone companies are selling the call numbers.  Those rotten politicians should all be kicked out of office if they are an incumbent. 

3 hours ago, Steve C. said:

So I take most calls, although for several months I've gotten calls from the same prefix as mine, and they go like this " hi, this Wendy and our records show that you've stayed at one of our resorts..."  Haven't figured out how to block calls on my phone, so I just let it ring or hang up fast.

I got a call from Wendy too. On my shop phone. When she said I stayed at one of the resorts, I said "No, I've never been to a resort" and hung up. It came up as a local number.

I have anonymous call blocking which won't allow private or unknown calls. It cut down a lot of crap calls, but if they are using fake numbers it doesn't matter. I can enter up to 10 numbers to block and it's always full. 

11 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

I got a call from Wendy too. On my shop phone. When she said I stayed at one of the resorts, I said "No, I've never been to a resort" and hung up. It came up as a local number.

I have anonymous call blocking which won't allow private or unknown calls. It cut down a lot of crap calls, but if they are using fake numbers it doesn't matter. I can enter up to 10 numbers to block and it's always full. 

Also have talked to Wendy. My guess is legitimate telemarketers would obey no call list, scammers dont care one way or the other.

55 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Also have talked to Wendy. My guess is legitimate telemarketers would obey no call list, scammers dont care one way or the other.

Scammers consider the fines for breaking the do not call list to be just a cost of doing business. Besides, how many of them stay on the line long enough for you to get their info to turn them in? And I suspect they are all just shell companies doing the calling, therefore if they get busted just shut it down and start a different named company to start again with.

Heres the problem, I do the same thing ignoring calls like this time and time again. Well last year long story short I was dodging calls from my works benefits center. Come to find out I was supposed to verify dependents that I had covered by a certain day or I lost my insurance for my family, which I did. I fought those rotten SOB's for 2 months trying to get coverage back on my family. They never left a message 1 or emailed me on my WORK email!!!! It was calling from different states. So sometimes you have to answer and just hang up when its nobody I guess. 

I have gotten calls from Wendy and an Elizabeth. They are both robots, not real people. I would just lay the phone down and continue doing whatever I was trying to do. They would usually ramble on for nearly one minute before they hang up. I figured if I cost them money on their phone bill maybe they would quit calling. I did that for a few weeks and then finally figured out how to block them. I haven’t heard anything more from my girlfriends...  It’s been weeks now, I’m getting concerned...

I always answer if I can get there in time. I Love messing with them. Got a call from AARP and I told them I am only 15. 

When I got the call from the electric choice place that can save me money I asked how much money they can save my Amish neighbors . I then proceeded to lay it on even thicker and acted like I was really upset with them because they are discriminating against my Amish neighbors because they aren't going to help them save any money on their electric bill . :) Then the lady didn't know what to say then and I hung up

Archived