redneckchevy9

Something You Were Always Told As Kid

This could get interesting... just thinking of things that my grandpa always would tell to me.  

For me it was simple:  you're in my light Christopher.  

I was always his shadow while we was wrenchin on things.

When it was cold out and us kids had gloves on trying to work on something like putting a bolt and nut on something...Dad would say “Get those sissy mittens off and get that job done, can’t wait on you all day”

12 minutes ago, redneckchevy9 said:

This could get interesting... just thinking of things that my grandpa always would tell to me.  

For me it was simple:  you're in my light Christopher.  

I was always his shadow while we was wrenchin on things.

Never had Grandpa tell me that but Dad told mme that a lot!  Something else he said lots was "Sit back, your blocking my mirror"!  I always figured if I was riding Shotgun the passenger side mirror was mine.

Don’t cross your eyes they’ll stay that way!

12 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Never had Grandpa tell me that but Dad told mme that a lot!  Something else he said lots was "Sit back, your blocking my mirror"!  I always figured if I was riding Shotgun the passenger side mirror was mine.

So true!!  It must have happened a ton for me also, because all my dad had to say was, "Chris" and it was muscle memory just to sit back against the seat.  Thanks for retriggering that one for me Evil.

NOW, if not sooner! 

And the one that has followed me around since I can remember was the general fits all comment....

"You're going to have to do it sooner or later" or a variation "Just do it and get it over with"     

I remember my grandpa telling me to take my time but hurry up a little bit. He's no longer with us. Not complaining tho. He nearly made it to 98 and had a pretty good run. Owned his own straight truck and drove it himself well into his middle 70's. 

Take a leak on this electric fence. :blush: Dad and Grandpa both told us to do that.

Whenever I would say "I'm cold" the answer my dad gave was "well I'll pull over and you can jump out and run alongside for a bit until you're warm"

Whenever dad scolded me for messing up I would say ok dad. He would always say No! It's not ok. 

Of course I was always in the light or holding the flashlight wrong too. 

My Granddad told me many times when I was helping him work on his equipment and when I became the blower boy on his Big Avery Thresher doing custom threshing jobs. "Any time you see something that needs to be done and you know how to do it, don't wait to be told to do it, just do it".

Your in my light and sit back your blocking my mirror sure bring back memories. When I would go somewhere with Gramp he would always tell me "boy, kids are meant to be seen not heard" as we were pulling in most anywhere.😊 Put a smile on my face typing this thinking back to my childhood.

My favorite saying from dad was "You'll never learn any younger"

Working with my Dad , He would say:" Learn because I am not going to live forever !"

My Grandmother always told me : "Don't leave your own counsel for the counsel of others"

As  My Mother giving me my lunch bag as I ran out to catch the school bus: " Use Your Head"!

My Dad as we drove on the overpass to town and in those days homeless  were known as bums as they carried their bags on their backs , My Dad would remind me;  "If You do not obey your parents and Your teachers and do not do well in school" , "That will be you ! with your mattress on your back" I was about ten years old and that scarred me sh*tless.

Tony

Slow down....speed breaks equipment....

Dad would say; If it squeeks, it's wearing out.  Grease is cheaper than parts,  Vern

2 hours ago, 1066lover said:

When I would go somewhere with Gramp he would always tell me "boy, kids are meant to be seen not heard" as we were pulling in most anywhere.😊 Put a smile on my face typing this thinking back to my childhood.

You beat to it, my grandmother's expression when any of us kids got to loud mouthed and noisy. And nowadays theres times I'd agree with her. 

My dad used to say you've got to make hay while the sun shines. Another favourite that sticks in my mind is "Lots of crooked people read the bible". I know theres a bunch of others that don't come to mind at the moment. 

Mom would say clean your plate Jerry, sit up straight don't slouch !

Dad would  say Use your head not your back,  Mom's was make sure you put clean underwear on in case your in an accident

7 hours ago, Alan Dinan said:

My favorite saying from dad was "You'll never learn any younger"

I heard that one often, now I find myself using it. "Don't start something that you can't finish" was another I heard often enough. Dad was talking about fighting in school but I think I have applied it in other ways.

You got 2 ears & 1 mouth, listen twice as much as you talk

"Don't let your mouth dig a hole that you can't fight your way out if!"