Sign in to follow this  
Cattech

Cool old Kenny

Not that it's very practical or that they were very powerful. But you don't see one every day. Love the un-restored patina of this one.

5 minutes ago, dale560 said:

That just had cool vibe about it

If you haven't already driven by, stop on in and see it, I'm here 'til midnight.

13 minutes ago, Cattech said:

If you haven't already driven by, stop on in and see it, I'm here 'til midnight.

We are here to Thursday one day I will pull in and say hi we come down couple times a year.

Enlighten me...is a 3408 larger displacement than a 3208.

What the heck, I really don't want to be here 2nite.....

3208 = 10.4L or 636 CI

Bore ... 114.3 mm (4.5 in)

Stroke ... 127.0 mm (5.0 in)

3408 = 18L or 1099 CI

Bore ... 137.2 mm (5.40 in.)

Stroke ... 152.4 mm (6.00 in)

Cool truck . Looks like its been a Canadian by the GVW in KGs.

You rarely see those engines in trucks anymore, very neat older engine. It is really "stuffed" in there. They put a few of them in the ST-450 Steigers back in the 78-81 time period. Too bad those V-8 diesels never really worked out compared to the I6's. Cool pic, thanks for sharing. 

3408's were really not a bad engine, but awfully heavy for on highway use. Back around 1979 or 80, they were Cat's big power truck engine, available at 450 hp. In the heavy equipment such as 988B,or 631D, they were ok, but required a bearing role at about 6000 hours. I was once told by a contractor that owned a 988B, that had 17,000 hours on it, that if you didn't roll in new bearings at 6000, that you would be replacing the crankshaft at 6500. Cat's claim to fame with them, was the 65 degree block configuration. The 65 degree block,coupled with 35 degree off set crank, would give it a 90 degree firing pattern, that would result in a very smooth running engine.

DD

Sweet old truck!    Thanks for sharing.  

Nate

6 hours ago, dieseldoctor said:

3408's were really not a bad engine, but awfully heavy for on highway use. Back around 1979 or 80, they were Cat's big power truck engine, available at 450 hp. In the heavy equipment such as 988B,or 631D, they were ok, but required a bearing role at about 6000 hours. I was once told by a contractor that owned a 988B, that had 17,000 hours on it, that if you didn't roll in new bearings at 6000, that you would be replacing the crankshaft at 6500. Cat's claim to fame with them, was the 65 degree block configuration. The 65 degree block,coupled with 35 degree off set crank, would give it a 90 degree firing pattern, that would result in a very smooth running engine.

DD

Consider my source, but a ratchet-jaw trucker on the CB one day was explaining ALL the work he had just had done to his 3408, broadcasting on channel 19,  he claimed the crankshaft alone was $15,000, but maybe that was new bearings, crankshaft, and install labor.

Compared to the 320 hp 903 in my RoadBoss a 3408 would just cruise on by me.  They DID sound great.  Buddy and I, former Farmall co-worker in fact, walking into the TIKI Truckstop on I-80, LaSalle/Peru, Ill, guy idled a KW like that one into the parking lot one morning, my buddy said, "Man, that sounds Sweet!  Wonder what kind of engine that is?"  Compared to his 6V-92TTA anything else sounded good!

A few 352 and 362  Peterbilt's were fitted with that power plant. There is a 352 in California with only 60 K original miles on it.

This is it, I have seen this truck and been told by several people that's it's original unrestored.    It has the 3408 Cat.         JuneCvr01.jpg.62c054fe2736d6527f081b0baed4e11b.jpg

That’s a nice looking truck! I would love to hear that thing going through the gears with a load behind it!!

Were the frame rails widened on the trucks with the 3408? Guy that delivers frame rails to my work has 2 superliners with E9 and he told me the frame rails were wider than trucks with the I6 engines. Maybe with the way the CAT block is configured it could fit between standard rails?

19 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

That’s a nice looking truck! I would love to hear that thing going through the gears with a load behind it!!

X2

Great looking trucks, not sure if when the 3208 or 3408's were built for the big trucks if they were built for more power and torque than a bus, as I have a blue bird 33 footer with the 3208, and it takes a mile to get up to 55, I'm sure the different tranny must have something to do about it too. 

Never heard of a 3208 in anything bigger than a medium duty truck. I've never had first hand experience with them but was always told they were throw away engines. Meaning when they were wore out or had a catastrophic failure you just replaced them. 3408 is a different ball game. 

Nice kwhopper! That 3408 turbocharged? You at Rochester cat cattech?

Did CAT ever make a non-turbo 3400 series?

35 minutes ago, 660 driver said:

Nice kwhopper! That 3408 turbocharged? You at Rochester cat cattech?

Umm bottom picture you can’t miss the turbo....😂

15 minutes ago, oleman said:

Did CAT ever make a non-turbo 3400 series?

I believe Some b models came without turbos. Or maybe that was just intercoolers. A friend of mine grabbed an 85 pete and was wanting to convert it over when he overhauled it but parts were hard to find. I know the intercooler was part of his problem with the lower radiator hose.  He passed away and the truck was sold off out of state. I wanted to buy it because it was his and it had an old 6x4 two stick tranny but he had to much in it and for his and my wife's sake I let it go. Couldn't see making payments on a 40k yard ornament that I'd only drive a few miles a year and I'd have to put to much in it to use it everyday. 

Looks like a nice old truck. Never been around them but I bet they've got a nice sound to them. 

That was a big dog back in the day.  Between the 3408 and a KTA Cummins, those were as big as you could get.  I was told that cattle haulers would run those big displacement engines to get possum-belly stock trailers to the destination ASAP.

How thirsty is that 3408?  I've never heard MPG numbers.