Sign in to follow this  
brewcrew

Older hybrid reliability?

My wife is looking for something that gets better gas mileage than her Yukon, and Ford Fusion hybrids have struck her eye. But we would be looking at 5-8 year old cars. How are the hybrids holding up with some years on them? Are they needing new batteries by ten years old? Any other big problems to be aware of?

I’d skip the used hybrid market and just get a regular Fusion. They push pretty close to 30 mpg depending on driver.

We purchased a simple  Nissan Versa in 2013.  It has no extras on it except for a 4 speed automatic and floor mats.  it has manual windows and no cruise control. AC and CD/radio are standard.

It has never had anything done to it except oil and filter changes.

I fully intend to drive it until it will go no further!

It is the largest small car around with plenty of head room for anyone under 6'.

Is has averaged 32 MPG in mostly city driving over its lifetime. At 2200# and DOHC and VVT wth 105 HP it goes fine.

No hybrid around is going to have this low of a cost of ownership for basic transportation.

According to my brother, he followed a Versa at over 100 MPH on the freeway once.

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

I’d skip the used hybrid market and just get a regular Fusion. They push pretty close to 30 mpg depending on driver.

I agree with jass1660. A hybrid might financially make sense if you buy it brand new and get rid of it before it is completely out of warranty, but from what my cousin has experienced with a Toyota Prius, you don't want to pay for the repairs out of warranty. I don't think the mileage savings will be enough difference to be better than a regular Fusion especially when you have to foot the bill for repairs.  

2 hours ago, ThirdGenRed said:

I agree with jass1660. A hybrid might financially make sense if you buy it brand new and get rid of it before it is completely out of warranty, but from what my cousin has experienced with a Toyota Prius, you don't want to pay for the repairs out of warranty. I don't think the mileage savings will be enough difference to be better than a regular Fusion especially when you have to foot the bill for repairs.  

That's what I'm wondering about if the hybrids are good in the later years. It's easy to find information about the new ones, but nobody really does reviews on older cars!

The 2011 fusion that i hit a deer and toatled just before christmas regularly got 27 plus mpg if i was by myself and watched how i drove. If in a hurry and carpooling (more weight) would still do easy 24/25 plus. That was with 3.0 v6.

Thought i had read at one time replacement batteries for hybrid were as costly or maybe a bit more so than a rebuilt engine?

I went to class on Chrysler's hybrid Pacifica 2 weeks ago.  Chrysler is warrantying the battery for 150,000 miles but I don't recall how many years, and Chrysler's maxcare warranty will cover it if need be as well.

They are also ALL sold at a VERY large loss (like, 10s of thousands).

Still, I'd want no part of a used hybrid.

My dad has a 03 Prius, been in the family since new. 245000 miles right now. Still gets about 50 put on daily. That little 4 cylinder is getting tired but no major repairs aside from a set of batteries at 165000. Cost 5 k for the new ones

a few years ago I had the parts man check the price on a hybrid battery for one of the Ford models, it was over 10,000 dollars. So the first thing I would do before buying one is check on the price of a new high voltage battery, and unless they were willing to deduct that amount from their asking price, walk away. In all reality hybrids are only feasible in a fairly warm climate and majority city driving. Do yourself a favor , if you are looking for mileage, stay away from all wheel drive and opt for the 4 cylinder engine instead of the V-6 and you will be way ahead in the end.

One of the guys i carpool with, he and his wife both have equinoxes. 4 cyl. His wifes car is using oil and fouling plugs. Gm to fix but will only rebuild the cylinder that is using oil. His has had some oil usage as well tho not as bad as hers. Guess what im saying is be skeptical about gm 4 cylinders approaching or over 100,000 miles. 

I drive a 2010Ford escape all wheel drive with the v6 and 135,000miles and it averages 23 mpg.

3 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

I drive a 2010Ford escape all wheel drive with the v6 and 135,000miles and it averages 23 mpg.

I have 3 / 2012. And 2 / 2008  Ford escapés all wheel drives with 3.0 motors. They have from 14,000 miles to 325,000 miles The worse i get is 20 mpg and have got up to 30 mpg on hwy. Average is around 25 mpg. And im not easy on them.

Can't go wrong with a full size GM with a V6 like the 3.6L or the venerable old 3.8L.

3.6L Impala will get 24 MPG city / 33 MPG all day on the highway. And if you feel the need to burn a little extra gas - that 300+ HP 3.6L will get up and go.

My old Pontiac has the 3800 and 4T65E trans, 220k on it and it drives as nice as when I bought it, very few issues and it has never left me stranded.

The cars are a dime a dozen, have known powertrain reliability, and when something does break - parts are cheap. You see them all the time with 250+k... even up here in the land of salt, chloride, and rust.

2 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

One of the guys i carpool with, he and his wife both have equinoxes. 4 cyl. His wifes car is using oil and fouling plugs. Gm to fix but will only rebuild the cylinder that is using oil. His has had some oil usage as well tho not as bad as hers. Guess what im saying is be skeptical about gm 4 cylinders approaching or over 100,000 miles. 

Well known issue on the 4 cyls in the EQ & Terrain (I feel as though I'm missing a model too but can't think of it).

Their early 3.6 didn't have a real great track record either, although I thought they made some improvements around '12 or so.

Edit: my cousin bought a Dart new, a '13, with the old 2.0 4cyl and the Hyundai 6 speed, and it is pulling mid 30s daily at 193,000 miles.  They are small but that is a good package. 

12 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

My Wife's Chevy HHR has 210000 miles on it and still gets 25-28 miles per gallon on gas. It uses-leaks a quart if oil every 3000 miles. My Daughter had the same engine in her Pontiac G6 with the same results.  

9 minutes ago, Merk said:

My Wife's Chevy HHR has 210000 miles on it and still gets 25-28 miles per gallon on gas. It uses-leaks a quart if oil every 3000 miles. My Daughter had the same engine in her Pontiac G6 with the same results.  

I think there is a certain group of years that has a known oil consumption problem. His wifes i believe is a '12 and his. '13 

To bad VW tried to pull a fast one on Uncle Sam.  Their TDI turned a Dollar's worth of fuel into more miles driven than anything bigger than a mid-sized (250-350 cc) motorcycle.   Last boss borrowed a TDI Jetta for a road trip.  Averaged just over 50 mpg at 65-70 mph with wife and two kids in car.

2 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

To bad VW tried to pull a fast one on Uncle Sam.  Their TDI turned a Dollar's worth of fuel into more miles driven than anything bigger than a mid-sized (250-350 cc) motorcycle.   Last boss borrowed a TDI Jetta for a road trip.  Averaged just over 50 mpg at 65-70 mph with wife and two kids in car.

Friend lost 10 miles per gallon after VW reprogramed her car. She was getting 53 to 55 miles per gallon before. Now she is lucky to get 45 MPG on hwy and in the high 30 in town .  She said it is a dog now also.  She has complained to VW But they say that nothing is wrong But VW gave her 7000 dollars to settle with her. Told her not to get it reprogramed but she did not listen. 

14 hours ago, Cattech said:

Can't go wrong with a full size GM with a V6 like the 3.6L or the venerable old 3.8L.

3.6L Impala will get 24 MPG city / 33 MPG all day on the highway. And if you feel the need to burn a little extra gas - that 300+ HP 3.6L will get up and go.

My old Pontiac has the 3800 and 4T65E trans, 220k on it and it drives as nice as when I bought it, very few issues and it has never left me stranded.

The cars are a dime a dozen, have known powertrain reliability, and when something does break - parts are cheap. You see them all the time with 250+k... even up here in the land of salt, chloride, and rust.

I drive an 08 Impala 82 miles a day to work and back. 216,000 miles on the 3.6 engine. Runs great. The oil color looks like honey at a 2000 mile change. Most cars I have run the oil turns dark before the next change. I am a good sized guy and the Impala is roomy and comfortable. Consistently run 360-370 miles between fill ups and I don't run it dry, too hard on the fuel pump when tank is too low.

My wife leased a new Acadia and is pulling mid to high twenties to low thirties and she doesn’t baby it. I know it’s not what you asked, but these newer vehicles are getting better every year...

Girlfriend has a 15 escape with the eco boost and awd it averages about 24 but rarely sees the bottom side of 80 mph

On 2/1/2018 at 9:03 PM, iowaboy1965 said:

I have 3 GM Ecotec 4 cly cars.

A 2.2 NA with 147,000 doesn't use a drop of oil between changes.

I also have 2 cars with the LNF 2.0 Turbo direct injection

One of them I have had tuned by ZZP at 100K and its laying down 320HP at the wheels and 30lbs Boost.

I have run it 40K like I stole it and it doesn't use any oil between changes either and the 3rd car with only 70K doesn't use any either.

I wonder what they are repairing to fix the oil consumption?  Possibly bad valve guides or seals in one cly?

Now on the thread subject my wife has a 11 Volt we bought used at 30K, the price was lower than a regular gas car at the time because of the gas prices.

Now at 80k never had any problems and the car has only used 300 gallons of gas over the 50k . Wife only has a 20 mile trip to work and they let her plug it in at work.

I am told the battery is over sized so even when it degrades there is still enough battery capacity to run the car the full range.

So I will let everyone know if we have problems I plan to run the Volt to 200K as I except to get out of every car I purchase.

Then if its still works I'd like too make it in to an storage battery/generator system for a solar system.

1 hour ago, jeeper61 said:

One of them I have had tuned by ZZP at 100K and its laying down 320HP at the wheels and 30lbs Boost.

I have run it 40K like I stole it and it doesn't use any oil between changes either and the 3rd car with only 70K doesn't use any either.

I wonder what they are repairing to fix the oil consumption?  Possibly bad valve guides or seals in one cly?

Now on the thread subject my wife has a 11 Volt we bought used at 30K, the price was lower than a regular gas car at the time because of the gas prices.

Now at 80k never had any problems and the car has only used 300 gallons of gas over the 50k . Wife only has a 20 mile trip to work and they let her plug it in at work.

I am told the battery is over sized so even when it degrades there is still enough battery capacity to run the car the full range.

So I will let everyone know if we have problems I plan to run the Volt to 200K as I except to get out of every car I purchase.

Then if its still works I'd like too make it in to an storage battery/generator system for a solar system.

Earlier this week it threw a misfire code again on #2 cyl he moved coil pack to #3 or #4 and plug to #1 misfire went with plug. Has been fouling #2 on a regular basis. He did the above rearrainging to see if coil pack might be acting up. He has to have dealer document one more time that it is low on oil before gm will pay to fix. 3 times total documentation of oil useage iirc. Not sure but i got impression they were going to put rings in that one cyl. I understood he and another buddy to say this was a known problem with sum of them, both are lifelong gm guys.

2 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

You've got my brain working for solar bank what voltage is the volt battery?

2 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Earlier this week it threw a misfire code again on #2 cyl he moved coil pack to #3 or #4 and plug to #1 misfire went with plug. Has been fouling #2 on a regular basis. He did the above rearrainging to see if coil pack might be acting up. He has to have dealer document one more time that it is low on oil before gm will pay to fix. 3 times total documentation of oil useage iirc. Not sure but i got impression they were going to put rings in that one cyl. I understood he and another buddy to say this was a known problem with sum of them, both are lifelong gm guys.

Sounds like they had some rings installed wrong or cylinder honing or cleaning issue

The Ecotec engines are made at 3 locations in the US one in Germany and one in South Korea .

Being that the Equinox is made at the old Saturn Plant in Springhill, TN and the Ecotecs are produced there also that is likely where it came from.

These Plants crank out 1000+ engines a day I can see how a bad station on the hone not caught could lead to a whole lot of bad engines.

I’ve had good luck with all my GM stuff on the engine side and if you want to Hotrod it is the least expensive brand to do so with because of all the aftermarket support and used racing parts out there