Fordson F Tractor project

Lost a good vendor , new berry sandblasting and paint ,went out of business, ugh ️Need to get the Fenders done, ️ shucks ?‍♂️?now what

7 hours ago, rustred said:

just wondering if you had the engine started yet? looking good.

Soon maybe this weekend , not in a hurry , got a mental pre start check list. I also check with a Fordson mentor ,  I, check and recheck . Since I’m hand cranking ,we rebuilt the hand crank to make sure the have best purchase for rotating ( don’t want to get hurt . Will disconnect from magneto ,and start on battery. That was recommended , how do that ? Also pushing outside (weather) for start .

I’m concern also about where to set needle valve of main jet , guessing one turn open to start 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rustred said:

might take 1 1/2 turns out. guess you will find out. that is quite the job you got going there.

Thanks ? 

Replaced hand crank roller with aluminum roller . Should be more comfortable over the old piece of pipe 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Brought heavy stream cylinder gear oil into the house to warm up in the Landry room .So heavy it’s like watching grease flow .?‍♂️ They used this heavy oil in stream engine cylinders, and gear boxes , worm gear drive which the Fordson is. 
If I left it in the cold shed , it would barely flow out into the gear box. 

0B9C03D3-23C8-429E-B742-17F9FB91C4D7.jpeg

12 hours ago, rustred said:

that will give her some sticky ness ! just dont put in on your pancakes.lol.

Pours like honey ?, not going to taste ? 

Sometimes out necessities I find the simple tools work the best in body work . Such as a split 2x4 and a C clamp is taking out some large bends in this Fordson fender ! ??‍♂️, Just amazed as to the versatility and amount work it will do if placed in the right spot . 
Thought this was an excellent example , no heat just pure leverage. 

image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Haven’t checked in for a long while, looking good, lots of progress. A couple questions...

Did you peen your clutch plates and how much? I’ve just done two F clutches and I peened them so that the stack had ~3/8” of compression by hand. Both clutches were problematic and now release and work well. 

I also see you repaired your water washer floats. Just wanted to be sure  you’re aware that there must be water in the washer (the floats must be floating) or they choke the intake air off. Many people place a block of wood under them to prevent them from cutting off the intake air or remove them entirely. This is what I do with mine that aren’t expected to see working duty in dusty conditions. It’s just one less thing you need to remember to drain when the cold hits. Also, a strategically placed ball of steel wool between the water washer and bell housing, blocking the intake keeps it from turning into a mouse condo over the winter!

Your fuel plumbing. You have the tanks T’d together... with the Holley vapourizer gas goes to the starting carb and kerosene to the vaporizer. If I remember right (my vaporizer F models have Kingston M-D’s so it’s been a while since I worked on a Holley) the Holley is susceptible to burning the vapourizer coil tube out if it’s not used. I seem to remember that you must run the tractor on gas, through the vapourizer not the starting carb once warmed up.  I guess you’re not planning to run Kero, but remember to switch to the vapourizer. The Kingston M-D starts on gas through the vapourizer (no starting carb) and has cast iron passages that won’t burn out...

I’m not trying to be a ball ache, and I hope all goes well for your first start, but I must say I’m not comfortable with your tight bearing clearance... I’m pulling for ya, as Red Green would say “keep yer stick on the ice”. 

Oh, if you’re starting with a battery make sure the flywheel magneto is disconnected. If you put power to that terminal (just hook a battery up) while The flywheel mag is in circuit, you will instantly DEMAGNETIZE your freshly charged magnets. I just use alligator clips for testing, once it’s running pull the clip off the battery and hook it to the mag. If you want to test the mag with a volt meter, it outputs AC power.  Oh, not that it really matters, but FYI when running on a battery, the tractor should be positive ground. 

• 5 months later...

First Showing of our Fordson F at 53 Pioneer Steam and Gas Engine Society last weekend . Thanks to Sugarmaker who came sixty miles to get the Fordson and take it home. The Fordson made quite fine showing to the attendance despite the mud . Mary Ann Mook of the Meadville Tribune ask to take pictures and asked many questions about Fordy. Thought I would share the story . 

5530FCE0-57FD-4B3A-9001-0B90F7BFBDA6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

YEA !!!!!  Dennis is back !!!! I hope !!!!