Sign in to follow this  
BiggieSmalls

Monteverdi mini SUV

The safari had it's own body. The firm also built a model called a sahara which used a modified scout body. There was another luxury SUV based on the scout called a Felber Oasis. 

On 2018-01-24 at 6:16 PM, Dave Shepard said:

Must have been a bit squirrelly with the 440.

I met  guy from Winnipeg who told me (in 1984) that he new a lot of people in Manitoba and North Dakota with 440's swapped into their scouts.

Would they have bolted to the 727, or was the bellhousung wrong?

The Torqueflites in IH pickups were regular cases with adapters to fit the IH engines. They had a real weird looking flex plate/ring gear!

12 hours ago, Dave Shepard said:

Would they have bolted to the 727, or was the bellhousung wrong?

if the 440 and 340 have the same bellhousing, then modifications must be made. i took apart a scout 727 and used the tail housing and shaft on a small block chrysler 727 to bolt to the scout dana 20 transfer case made a couple of motor mounts, adapted the throttle cable. was able to use the scout alternator but used a dodge power steering pump with the saginaw box. the rest was easy. the 340 was less weight and about twice the power. fun!

340 and 440 have different bolt patterns.

273?, 318, 340, 360 are small blocks. 383, 413, 426, 440 are big blocks. I think the families are A for small block,  and R, R/B for low deck and tall deck big blocks.

Big blocks were also made in 350, low and tall deck 383, and 400 sizes. LA small blocks had wedge style heads, the A's had polysphere heads.

On 1/29/2018 at 10:36 AM, R Pope said:

Big blocks were also made in 350, low and tall deck 383, and 400 sizes. LA small blocks had wedge style heads, the A's had polysphere heads.

You left out the 361. I had one in a 59 Desoto Firesweep, second car I ever purchased,  used in 64.

The 361 had a truck version that was used at least until 68 0r 69 in medium trucks as the base engine, only other gas truck was the mighty 413 truck.

Not talking about pickups!

Forgot about the 361.

Odd thing about the 383 RB, it had the long stroke crank with the 361 bore. The B 383 had the short stroke crank and bigger bore.