Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

inner tube**

806D first start in 20 yrs

Found an 806 that had been sitting for 20 years it belonged to an old man that died, I asked him a couple years ago what was wrong with it he said something in the transmission but he didn't know. My boss man purchased the farm and I got the tractor. Today I started  tractor  and the engine runs great but when i put it in gear it does nothing it feels as if as if it's going into gear but will not move, it does grind in reverse but still no movement whatsoever. Also it has no ta.

Sounds like the clutch is gone. How does the pedal "feel"?

Does the power steering work?

TA delete, or was the lever removed?

806 was the first series after the mechanical TAs, and it wasn't unheard of for owners to remove the TA lever on the older series tractors to prevent its use. It wouldn't surprise me if some owners who had just upgraded from a 450 or a 560 would transfer their distrust of TA technology to an 806, and remove the lever as soon as the dealer's truck was out of view.

It could feasibly be that the tractor was simply run in direct its entire life and never shifted into low. Unfortunately the joke would be on the person who removed the lever because the low side is wearing all the time regardless of whether you use it or not.

The clutch feels good. And the steering is good. There is no ta handle and it looks as if never had one.

Clutch or rear end.  Had one like that where the spider gears grenaded.

I’d take a look at the shift forks. The 1st owner of my 706 thought the trans was toast and sold it cheap to the guy I bought it from, all that was wrong was the range fork had snapped. Might be worth a look.

I will check that when I get time to tear into it, what throws me off is how it grinds in reverse but no other gear. It feels as if it's going into the gears fine except for reverse.