140 3pt tow hitch

So I have been tinkering with the 140 lately.  Now that the hydraulics are all rebuilt and it is running smoothly I decided to try and find a way to pull a wagon or spot a trailer around the farm. It has an aftermarket 3pt which I use for my 2 row planter that I have talked about in a previous thread. I do not have a drawbar do tonit conflicting with the 3pt movement. Surfing the thread about a 3pt bale spear gave me an idea. Why not make a quick hitch of sorts with a 2" receiver for spotting trailers and having a drawbar when needed?  Here is how it went. Thanks for the note pad Paul ;)

IMG_4374.JPG

I started with more trusty AC planter frame that was leftnover from another project. The only parts not scavenged were the receiver and the CAT1 pins. The box tube is 3.5".  A hole was cut out in the center front and rear for the receiver to fit inside. It was cut to length and welded completely front and rear. Next the vertical piece was added and a male receiver was built specially to fit this hitch.  The original hole to pin the receiver in was not going to work so a new one was drilled farther back. 

IMG_4371.JPG

IMG_4372.JPG

IMG_4373.JPG

IMG_4375.JPG

IMG_4376.JPG

IMG_4377.JPG

IMG_4378.JPG

Finished off with some 2150 Red and a little bit of black. I found a couple small IH decals similar to the ones used on original quick hitches that are on order.  They are 2.25" x 2.5". Should I put one on each side of the horizontal piece or a single about 2/3 up the vertical piece?  Opinions?

IMG_4388.JPG

IMG_4389.JPG

IMG_4390.JPG

IMG_4391.JPG

IMG_4392.JPG

1 minute ago, Tickertoy said:

Are you sure it's strong enough for the 140 ?    Nice work !

Honestly, I think it would handle 140hp pretty easy so I think the 21-22hp should be ok :)  

thanks for the kind words fellas!

That is NICE work. Now you need something on the front. Years ago I saw a B  (I think) with a hitch on the front that he used to move machinery around in his barn remodeled into a machine shed. 

13 minutes ago, dads706 said:

That is NICE work. Now you need something on the front. Years ago I saw a B  (I think) with a hitch on the front that he used to move machinery around in his barn remodeled into a machine shed. 

Thank you. I like the front bumpers that are available but there is very little that is solid to mount anything to up front. A NF like a B would be perfect for that. I was just after making something I had more useful. We keep trailers and a few small things in a three sided shed behind the barns. There is no hard pack roadway to get back there. When things are freezing and thawing a lot this will be nice vs taking a pickup or larger tractor back there and rutting things up. We also use an old school road drag that someone stands on for weight and by moving around you can determine the amount of cutting it will do. (River rock gravel road) There is a 1/2 mile of private road back to my house so keeping the road crowned a little in the middle takes some work and time. The tired 48' H used to grunt fairly hard on the hills with a mound of gravel in front of the drag. I am in hopes that the 140 will pull that drag. Time will tell I guess. maynebif that doesn't work I will need to find a C60?? Push/grader blade for it. I have no experience with one but I think it would be handy for this application. 

12 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

Looks great. I am sure that the 140 is never going to hurt it!  My only suggestion would be a 2-5/16 ball on top to move gooseneck trailers with and maybe building it lighter so it would be easier to put on. I made mine just like it , very handy. 

I thought hard about the ball on top but didn't want to put too much strain on the hydros picking up my gooseneck. Maybe it would have been fine. I wasn't sure so I left the ball off. 

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words. I appreciate the comments and suggestions also. 

20 minutes ago, SMOKER 1 said:

IMG_3966.thumb.JPG.ba4af9b30fd6ce97e6790f9cc0162f90.JPG

Here is what I use. Not as fancy as Todd's but gets the job done and fits any cat II quick hitch. 

Jerry

I like that Jerry. Very functional and not overly complicated. 

Very functional for moving the gooseneck trailers.  Just lift go and drop and never leave the tractor seat.  Takes 2 guys to move it from one tractor to the next unless you want to spend the afternoon at the chiropractor.  Very awkward to handle, weighs right at 100#.

jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Great project. I made a similar one but used a standard punched horizontal drawbar as the base.

Our tractor always/normally has a shredder on the 3-point so we use the front hitch a lot. Also very handy to bring trailer to the field with the cultivator/planter on the 3-point.

I have a project in mind, basically a movable hitch to get under trailer couplers,  to make a front mounted 3-point because we have no loader.

Our machine is a little 464.

• 3 weeks later...