Sign in to follow this  
TN Hillbilly

Your opinions - 3 point on a C

There is for sale on the local Craigslist a 3 pt hitch for a C or Super C.  The guy has pictures of it on and off the tractor, and it looks like a complete, and nicely done, hitch.  He wants $350.  We have a C that is very handy for lots of reasons - it always starts, nimble, easy on gas, you all understand.  However, like the M's we have, it just has a drawbar, and that sort of limits what you can do with it.  Now, I don't have a particular task in mind, or implement that I would used behind it with the hitch, but I'm thinking it would be nice to have if these hitches work well.  I understand no draft control and all that, just wondering if anyone has a 3 pt hitch on a C, and if so, do you like it?  Do you ever actually use it?

11 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

There is for sale on the local Craigslist a 3 pt hitch for a C or Super C.  The guy has pictures of it on and off the tractor, and it looks like a complete, and nicely done, hitch.  He wants $350.  We have a C that is very handy for lots of reasons - it always starts, nimble, easy on gas, you all understand.  However, like the M's we have, it just has a drawbar, and that sort of limits what you can do with it.  Now, I don't have a particular task in mind, or implement that I would used behind it with the hitch, but I'm thinking it would be nice to have if these hitches work well.  I understand no draft control and all that, just wondering if anyone has a 3 pt hitch on a C, and if so, do you like it?  Do you ever actually use it?

Speaking in general... You don't need draft control to have a three point hitch. 350 bucks is dirt cheap. Not having a three-point is like not having a pocket on any article of clothing. To me its just as important as a drawbar. Buy it, install it and you'll be amazed what you find uses  for.

Yep, all gain no loss! except the cost and time invested.

The lift arms go from Touch Control arms back  to  the 3 point rockshaft. That configuration that I've seen  looks to make getting on & off tractor l like an OSHA  Safety citation.....Google for some Pics to see for yourself.

Medioque to very poor , 

good for picking up hitches and saving your back . 

Tremble for post hole digging 

rock shaft touch control limited range of motion. 

Very low lifting capabilities ,very poor , will burn up the system if you don't have temperature guage that works , that will cost you many dollars and time , you must have temperature Gage's if lifting a heavy implement 

I rate it a d minus 

that  is my opinion 

Good luck 

image.jpeg

I have one on my C. I built a little 35 gallon 3 pt. sprayer for it and got a cheap 3 pt mower to put behind it. If you put a mower behind it, get a overriding pto adaptor to put on it. Like was previously stated, it's not meant to lift heavy stuff but works for what I've done.

Here's a little 2 row planter I threw together for it.

IMG00036.jpg

There was a plow IH of Canada made at Hamilton works called the C214 plow. If you can find anything on it on the internet look it up. It had a rockshaft and everything needed for 3 pt except the lower links and the lift arms. I always wanted to convert this rockshaft arrangement using Farmall 504 lower links and lift arms. The only piece I would need to fabricate is a strap on each side of the drawbar bolts with a 3 pt pin in the right spot. I have the C214 plow on my Super C and would make this small addition when I get around to it

I agree, it looks like a booger to get on and off the tractor with it on there. 

Dennis, you speak like you've had a bad experience.  Do I remember right that you tried to run a tiller behind your C?

And then put some weight up front to help balance you out.  You can only put so much on the wheels.  All the other weight you'd have to hang would be off the front bolster on a unframed tractor.  Im not saying good or bad, just something to think about.  

I had those with the rods to lift the hitch. I am to old for that now. Get you a drawbar off a H and mount it to the axles. Then build you a 3pt with a cylinder like the cornhusker 3pt hitch. You want have any thing in your way to get on and off. Thats one way to look at it.

1 hour ago, Wilks54 said:

And then put some weight up front to help balance you out.  You can only put so much on the wheels.  All the other weight you'd have to hang would be off the front bolster on a unframed tractor.  Im not saying good or bad, just something to think about.  

I've never had anything hanging off the back that made the frontend light. It's not like it's a 80 horse tractor.

I had one on a c for a while. It seamed the worst trouble I had is the lift wouldn't go very high. I has a grader blade on mine and you had to shorten the 3rd or top link as short as you could get it to pick it up off the ground. I ended up taking mine off just didn't seam worth it.  If it was me and I had a supper c I'd look around for 2pt for it 

So, here's the thing. Sounds like the hitch in question is not capable of lifting much. But for 350.00, not much can be expected. I have successfully built a 3pt hitch that will lift 1,000 lbs on a Cub Cadet. Not sure what a "C" produces for hydraulic pressure, but safe range for a Cub Cadet is 800 psig. Not only will it lift that amount, it will raise it higher than any 3pt available for those machines. Not tooting my own horn, just saying, if you want something to do what you want (within the sensible parameters of the machine) it's achievable. Just depends on what your wanting to do with it.

use the one pictured, then have a welding shop put mounts for a standard 8" stroke hyd ram from drawbar area to one lift arm on rockshaft. look up speeco 3pt hitch they make the one for H & M. you will need the valve for remote ram.welding shop should know to mount top of ram so full stroke will lift high enough. could also use a ram on each side.

I would also go the route of modifying the hitch to use its own hydraulic cylinder, and get rid of all of the connections up to the touch control.

Get a bypass block off ebay and use any generic open center spool valve to control the cylinder, rather than messing around trying to find the stock manifold valve with a good set of lines. The guy only has one listed for a Cub right now but I bet if you contact him and ask nice he'll make you one for the Super C.

For a Super C and what its physically capable of lifting, IMHO one 3x8 cylinder is plenty.

16 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

I agree, it looks like a booger to get on and off the tractor with it on there. 

Dennis, you speak like you've had a bad experience.  Do I remember right that you tried to run a tiller behind your C?

I have to take blame that I did not have the 3 point set up on lift set in the slides of lift so the tiller had a draft control (float) , see photo of rock shaft lift bar arm . 

But the tractor will not go slow enough to roto till at rpm 1500 , idle is about the right speed and there is not enough power to tiller .

always something. 

Be a great tractor with hydro drive ! 

Find a IH HYDRA-CREEPER attachment and you'll have a Hydro Super C....and go 13' per minute @ full throttle in first gear.

1 hour ago, 560Dennis said:

I have to take blame that I did not have the 3 point set up on lift set in the slides of lift so the tiller had a draft control (float) , see photo of rock shaft lift bar arm . 

But the tractor will not go slow enough to roto till at rpm 1500 , idle is about the right speed and there is not enough power to tiller .

always something. 

Be a great tractor with hydro drive ! 

Except, the hydracreeper drives the transmission through the PTO if I'm not mistaken, and you need the PTO to run the tiller...

2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Except, the hydracreeper drives the transmission through the PTO if I'm not mistaken, and you need the PTO to run the tiller...

Well, Matt, there's always the belt pulley PTO above and at a right angle to the "regular" PTO...  One for the tiller, one for the hydracreeper...

Problem solved?!

Problem created?!

Or cut a hole in the grill and mount something to run off the crank...

Notice my type of 3 point hitch will not allow the Pto belt pulley 

7 hours ago, Rainman said:

Find a IH HYDRA-CREEPER attachment and you'll have a Hydro Super C....and go 13' per minute @ full throttle in first gear.

Never heard of it the hydra creeper  so if can think someone has aready done it 

4 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Yep, good point, drives thru PTO.

23 hours ago, Rescue11 said:

So, here's the thing. Sounds like the hitch in question is not capable of lifting much. But for 350.00, not much can be expected. I have successfully built a 3pt hitch that will lift 1,000 lbs on a Cub Cadet. Not sure what a "C" produces for hydraulic pressure, but safe range for a Cub Cadet is 800 psig. Not only will it lift that amount, it will raise it higher than any 3pt available for those machines. Not tooting my own horn, just saying, if you want something to do what you want (within the sensible parameters of the machine) it's achievable. Just depends on what your wanting to do with it.

The touch control will hit 1100psi according to the rebuild manual and the guage I installed on my 140 (same engine and touch control).