Sign in to follow this  
LesB

UD 554

I just bought a HuberWarco scraper with a International UD554 engine. It is a diesel motor with a gasoline assisted start. Don’t know the year of manufacture but would like any information anyone could share about this engine.

UD554 is 554 cu in.  4 5/8 bore,  TD18 is 691 cu in 4.75 bore.  UD 554 was used in TD15 crawler 1958 to 1961

4 hours ago, WOpp said:

UD554 is 554 cu in.  4 5/8 bore,  TD18 is 691 cu in 4.75 bore.  UD 554 was used in TD15 crawler 1958 to 1961

From 1962 onwards how long was the DT361 used? Was it till 1967 when the DT407 replaced the DT361? Then from 1971 until into the 1980's was it the DT 466 that was used. And what were the letter suffixes on these.

I had one in a Galion 118 grader, ran pretty good, seemed to have lots of power. Then I accidentally got it hot and cracked a head so I pulled the engine and scrapped the grader. I took the injection pump and clutch off of it, and sold the engine to a guy in Utah. Don't know why I kept the injection pump, but I kept the clutch because I had it built with a heavy spring set and ceramic buttons and it only had about 5 hours on it and the guy couldn't use it for his application. Just sets in the back corner of my shop now. Pretty heavy engine too, had a good sound to it with the dual exhaust pipes

12 hours ago, RBootsMI said:

I had one in a Galion 118 grader, ran pretty good, seemed to have lots of power. Then I accidentally got it hot and cracked a head so I pulled the engine and scrapped the grader. I took the injection pump and clutch off of it, and sold the engine to a guy in Utah. Don't know why I kept the injection pump, but I kept the clutch because I had it built with a heavy spring set and ceramic buttons and it only had about 5 hours on it and the guy couldn't use it for his application. Just sets in the back corner of my shop now. Pretty heavy engine too, had a good sound to it with the dual exhaust pipes

What happened that got it hot?  I've heard that it is critical to not overheat them.  I am curious so that I hopefully don't ever have this issue with mine.  I had the water pump and radiator redone with a new thermostat.  I have wondered before if the thermostat failed if that would cause the dreaded head failure or if I could recognize it and not have a failure.

The previous owner had left the lower radiator hose off it when he drained it, and the block and radiator were FULL of mouse nest, everywhere. I vacuumed it out, blew it out, rinsed it out, until I wasn't getting any more chunks of nest out. I wasn't sure why it got hot at first, until after I pulled the engine out. Running it must have dislodged more mouse nest that didn't come out after my initial cleaning, during which I had removed every external part of the cooling system and radiator. Anyway, it had some that must have worked loose that plugged up the thermostats. Kind of a sad way to go down.

Ross

That is a sad shame.  Sorry to hear.