Stolen Tractors

redneckchevy9

I'm sure some of you guys have a tractor or 2 stolen in your years of farming.  I'm just wonder if you ever recovered it, was it still usuable or did the thief trash it.  I understand that stealing a tractor may be no easy feat to accomplish, especially large frames and especially today's big boys.

theft-tractor.jpg

someone stole our 966 once, they left it about 1000 feet from where it was, it was setting cross ways on the dirt road still running<_< most issues were kids playing on them and leaving the lights on

Speaking of theft, couple years back, neighbor had his enclosed trailer storing a side by side and a quad. Thieves couldn`t get SBS running but took quad, took off down through his yard and didn`t see the 3ft deep ditch. Quad was sitting there running with blood AND a tooth! 

AND, they never found out who did it.

Former hired hand and "friend", or so I thought at the time, had stolen a kioti tractor/ loader and a John Deere 60.  Didn't know they were stolen until he was busted by the sheriff's department.  He had been thieving from me too.  Some friends.  I had known him for 10+ years and trusted him completely.

2 hours ago, MTO said:

Speaking of theft, couple years back, neighbor had his enclosed trailer storing a side by side and a quad. Thieves couldn`t get SBS running but took quad, took off down through his yard and didn`t see the 3ft deep ditch. Quad was sitting there running with blood AND a tooth! 

AND, they never found out who did it.

i love instant justice cases like this. :P

Back in the 70's my uncle had a brand new 1066 stolen. In 1988 we came to work at Lilley International in Rocky Mount NC and found a CaseIH 235 compact tractor laying on the ground on it's side and a 245 and 255 missing. Seems the thieves rolled them up a ramp into a van truck and they were never seen again.

I think people who have the nerve to steal other people's property need there hands cut off and should drink thru a straw.

Doesn't matter if it's the whole tractor, weights, fuel, batteries, even the top link!  Just seems like if it's not bolted down with more then 2 bolts it's going missing!!  

People and business are hiring every day looking for workers, go get a job and stop making "us" pay for it!  Not all jobs are good, I get that..also employers wonder what they got themselves into by hiring off the street.... But I would always rather see someone working then bumming off me.....if you want something....work for it..

Matt

In the Farmingtonimplement dvd’s #3 has a film called “sitting duck” which is a film about tractor thefts stealing a 66 series tractor. Anyone ever seen it? 

When I worked at the Deere dealership in the early 90's people would often bring their children by on Sundays and let them sit on the tractors. One Sunday 2 guys in a white truck with green uniforms pulled in the lot, got out and loaded 2 compact tractors on their trailer and left. The people who witnessed it just thought they were dealership employees. After all, who in their right mind would steal a tractor in broad daylight with a bunch of people watching?

It's mostly quads and sleds, and vehicles and such that get stolen around here. But there's been equipment stolen too. Not too long ago I think it was a backhoe stolen off a dealers lot in mid day, with people around. I might be wrong, but I thought I heard that employees helped the guy load it. Didn't know any better I guess. There was a JD combine stolen off a dealers lot and found the next province over, in a custom combine operation iirc. 

And then there was this one. Case IH quadtrack

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/the-curious-case-of-the-stolen-tractor-found-buried-in-a-pile-of-manure/article4238072/

Neighbor had his 3020 JD gas swiped when it was new. The guy drove it across Iowa Illinois Indiania. He even put an add in the paper wanting to sell it.  The figured out about were it went because he swiped a car next door to were he lived and left the car were he swiped the tractor.  Took him two days and i dont know how many tanks of gas to get to his house.  It was not hurt other than road wear on the tires 

Not Stolen, But about 15 years ago I guy not to far from us parked his combines in the field out of site for the night when he got there in the am somebody had a little demolition  derby action in the middle of the night totaled 3 flex heads and two of the combines for sure I remember think it was a 8820,7720,and a 9600.Also right after I joined the fire dept. the town next to us had a steiger started put in gear and turned loose it went all over a couple farms and came in the back side of a farm stead got caught in some big ma ture trees in the windbreak and spun until the tires caught fire and burnt it up if not for the trees it was headed right for a pretty nice ranch style house

7 hours ago, mmi said:

of the $200K stolen the answer would be no

as mentioned in another related post, the top LEO syndicate is directly involved

What are you talking about?!

Pardon my lack of knowledge of IH keys, but I thought I remembered that only 9 or 10 different switches were made for IH tractor keys.  I think this would make it tempting for another IH owner to try his key if he were to steal another tractor.  

Had a JLG 60' manlift stolen off a job site once, didn't get far. First off the thieves probably didn't realize it only goes 3 mph, second; it draws attention on roads and third: one of the cops stopping them knew the machine and walked up to it and shut it off with the ground controls! Gotcha! 

4 minutes ago, TomH said:

Had a JLG 60' manlift stolen off a job site once, didn't get far. First off the thieves probably didn't realize it only goes 3 mph, second; it draws attention on roads and third: one of the cops stopping them knew the machine and walked up to it and shut it off with the ground controls! Gotcha! 

That's awesome!  There are some real winners these days

I knew a guy that would go to the local dealers and pull hubs weights draw bars third links anything easy and fill his pickup up at night he’d also order buy tractor have them dropped at his place say they showed up with wrong pump or manifold etc but low and behold he had the right parts to put on to make it correct 

Local IH dealer had 3 new Case skid loaders stolen about 15 years ago. According to the police, the thieves drove them next door to a seed dealer and used the loading dock and loaded them into a van trailer. I have never heard anymore about them.

Alan

Back in the early 80s my great uncles (neighbors) had there MF20 joy rided, the perpetrators messed up some stooks of squares(funny even experienced operators could have some difficulties scooping them up, a little more finesse is required for that compressor to forking big bales), they ran that tractor off the field too, different time than now, the kids who did it got identified and worked off the damages, in more recent time(mid 90s up) we’ve had fuel siphoned and some random windows smashed from the lot here at home, once a thief tried to steal a snowmobile trailer with a front mount Toro mower on it, the mower had been loaded on trailer after repairs but had no straps or the hinge pin for tilting the trailer secured, when we came in the mower was off the trailer and the trailer was tilted and abandoned some feet ahead, there may be some professional thieves out there but most of the tractor/truck/car thefts over the years are just dumb kids, I haven’t come across many incidents(but still some)in the last 10 years or so, it does seem less frequent, maybe due to the prevalence of iPads and such 

So you’re tractor gets stolen, insurance cover it?  What kind of value does one put on a tractor for insurance purposes?  I think my insurance is for fair market value, but not sure what I’d get for that $$$ in terms of overall condition and reliably.  Makes me think there ought to be some kind of replacement insurance?

1 hour ago, leeave96 said:

So you’re tractor gets stolen, insurance cover it?  What kind of value does one put on a tractor for insurance purposes?  I think my insurance is for fair market value, but not sure what I’d get for that $$$ in terms of overall condition and reliably.  Makes me think there ought to be some kind of replacement insurance?

We have almost all of the bigger items individually listed on our farm policy. We have determined what we want to have them insured for. Different policies are going to come up with their own values. It's something you should be involved in determining if ever you have any kind of claim

Archived