McCormick OS6 Restoraton

On 1/24/2018 at 8:40 PM, SAM86 said:

So I learned a few lessons laying down the primer, need to thin it next time, went on a bit heavy and used more than expected. The HVPL gun I am using had a hard time laying down a smooth coat using a 1.8 tip and recommended air pressure. The primer was acting like it was partially drying as it was sprayed and I had to remove buildup off from the nozzle several times. Ended up having to sand some rough areas of primer before paint. For the most part the primer ended up ok once dried.

I allowed the primer two days to dry and went to work on the color. The first coat of red went down much easier than the primer. Mix ratio was 8 parts paint, one part thinner, one part hardener. Again had some learning curves adjusting the gun to get a good result. Gave the first coat two days to dry, sanded some rougher spots and applied the second coat. Man does it take a good eye to get every nook and cranny. Ended up using a foam brush to get some real tricky/missed spots. 

64CEBC5E-3082-4BD8-BB12-D594E790E278.jpeg

A89AEDD1-CABB-43B6-98D7-4FD0790FC6E3.jpeg

5D818FA9-6A3D-4545-849C-D42E5528B3EB.jpeg

Not to dredge up an old thread.....but.....How many gallons or primer and 2150 did you use?  Have a OS project going myself and want to stash enough materials given the pandemic.....

• Like 1

It can be done with one gallon. Due to my inexperience with the equipment I was using I ended up using another half gallon. 

• 1 month later...

SAM86, how are the orchards coming along?  I too have an O4 however it appears that mine definitely pushed some branches out of the way during its working life.  Nothing like that which you picked up.  I was fortunate that the side curtains were off and stored in a barn and are in remarkably good condition.  I was a little bummed that someone cut a hole through my hood to run a vertical exhaust pipe however after seeing the tremendous job that you did, I am feeling much better.  Not because I am any sort of a metal or body guy,  just knowing that it can be done.  

Excellent documentation - love the story and pictures.

4 hours ago, 1snappyIH said:

SAM86, how are the orchards coming along?  I too have an O4 however it appears that mine definitely pushed some branches out of the way during its working life.  Nothing like that which you picked up.  I was fortunate that the side curtains were off and stored in a barn and are in remarkably good condition.  I was a little bummed that someone cut a hole through my hood to run a vertical exhaust pipe however after seeing the tremendous job that you did, I am feeling much better.  Not because I am any sort of a metal or body guy,  just knowing that it can be done.  

Excellent documentation - love the story and pictures.

They are all in progress in one form or another. The OS6 needs some steering box work to eliminate a death wobble in road gear and has also developed a very unhappy bearing in the transmission. So some careful surgery will be happening in the near future. 

The OS4 just received a magneto rebuild as it was dead this spring when we went to get it out. Also explains why it was being miserable to start last fall.

My ODS6 just went under the knife to replace the lifter cover, cooling jacket, and several other leaking gaskets on the replacement engine. The head was never retorqued after being rebuilt so that was done as well. 

Our O-4 is in process and is running again. Just pulled all the sheet metal out of the barn to get going on that. 

Helped my brother resurrect a very nice, original OS4. Just wrapped that one up a few weekends ago. 

Brothers ODS6 has developed several unknown leaks over the winter so we need to look at that yet.

Oh, lets not forget we still need to get my uncles O-6 into the shop yet.

Don't fret over fixing your hood. Take your time and you will be fine. Just make sure everything is worked back into place before welding in a patch. After the patch is welded in and the holes re-drilled do not attempt any more adjustments as the small welds will crack through.