McCormick OS6 Restoraton

Looks great.  Loving all the detailed pictures along the way.  The axle gasket issue sucks.  I don't leave gaskets to chance anymore.  Used to but it's easier to just do it up front and be done with them.  You're doing awesome work, can't wait to see the finished result.

I’m glad everyone is enjoying the post’s. I know I enjoy looking thru all of the other topics/posts and following the ongoing projects. Quite honestly I needed to do it to keep me focused to get the project finished, even though I am going to have some rainy day items to address later. The next post or two will catch up to where I’m currently at. 

I painted a second set of weights off from one of the parts tractors I have and decided I wanted to mount them on the 6. I wanted to keep the inner weights looking nice so I made a set of mounting studs that screw onto the bolts for the first weight. I used coupling nuts to take the place of the nut on the inner bolt and they also act as a stand-off to keep some space between the weights. Some all thread welded into the coupling nuts finished of the mounting studs. The nice thing is I can keep adding additional weights buy adding another set of mounting studs. I realize there are actual outer weights and have seen two sets in the last few months, can’t justify $600+ for just one set.....yet.

One item that will be getting redone is the rear rims. I’m not happy with the color and have a couple rust stains bleeding thru the current paint. Not sure how it’s possible as they were stripped back to bare metal.

That brings us to this fall and prepping/moving everything around for winter. Managed to get all three of the orchards in one bay of the barn thankfully. Moved all of the bits and pieces that require finishing yet into the shop to stay warm. I’ve since started making progress on repairing the fenders and finishing the grill just haven’t snapped any new pics lately.

E299521A-963D-426B-8AFF-3A8331DD08FD.jpeg

F8E333D2-E19E-447E-9213-8785E9AF806C.jpeg

236A8DE9-DA98-4353-81AD-3BBA576614CB.jpeg

On 2/8/2018 at 10:07 PM, 560Dennis said:

Looks good , how loud is that ? 

They really aren’t that bad at all. Don’t get me wrong, they do bark when you get them under a load and the governor pours on the coals. They do have a different sound than an M with a straight pipe.

I put the exhaust back in the factory location. When this tractor was in its working days the exhaust was removed to make room for a hydraulic pump for power steering. A hole was cut in the side of the hood and the exhaust elbow on the manifold turned 90 degrees exiting right through the side of the hood. 

Had some time this weekend to make more progress on the sheet metal. Ordered two 24”x36” sheets of 18ga CRS from online metals to fab all the patches and new components. 

Started by making a new tool box. Was able to get all of the measurements from two rotted out ones that I have. Did some more hole patching on the grill and replacing the metal tabs that hold the screen in.

The big accomplishment was gaining some confidence repairing the fenders. Started by welding up some extra holes, and making patch pannels. The first and smaller one welded up good with minimal warpage. The larger patch was a little more challenging and I will need to do some shrinking to get everything back flat. Had a heck of a time trying to figure out how to get the rust out from between the fender shell and the supports. The accumulated rust and debris actually bubbled the shell quite a bit. Ended up using an air chisel and pice of scrap steel that fit within the supports to hammer/vibrate everything out. Kept running up and down the length of the support with the chisel and steel and voila. Now I have a hundred or so expanded “bubbles” that will requiring shrinking back in place along with fixing the remaining rusted out portions.

C254B346-84BC-426B-8BC8-D6E52E542F5C.jpeg

1BA4F9A6-9A3D-4482-B944-8823CA326C2E.jpeg

952137D2-3761-44DC-AAF6-BEA076C8F083.jpeg

777962BA-E871-4462-8901-37FDA25841D4.jpeg

069B86DE-0C5C-46B5-8B5C-18606221EA3E.jpeg

F5EE9439-7B37-4983-81E2-77106EE78E52.jpeg

9C530FF9-8968-4D29-9BCB-BF2A21CBC81A.jpeg

646C3851-E452-4316-A111-2390DA541BE3.jpeg

• Like 1

Sam

I have really enjoyed looking at the work and skilled craftsmanship that you have accomplished on this tractor.    I have done some of this type of work, making steel parts for corroded or destroyed parts.  It is very difficult to do but is highly rewarding when you get the results that you have.  Congratulations.  Well done.

GT&T

On 2/17/2018 at 2:24 PM, GT&T said:

Sam

I have really enjoyed looking at the work and skilled craftsmanship that you have accomplished on this tractor.    I have done some of this type of work, making steel parts for corroded or destroyed parts.  It is very difficult to do but is highly rewarding when you get the results that you have.  Congratulations.  Well done.

GT&T

On 2/18/2018 at 10:09 AM, lorenzo said:

I am  anxious to see the finished tractor. 

It's Very worthy of your efforts .

From what you have shown us so far I'm sure it's going to turn out great.

Keep up the good work.

Thank you gentlemen, I’m glad you are enjoying the progress and hope others are as well.

No progress this past week as I had to switch gears and get moving on some home maintenance/improvement tasks. Headed to the NYS farm show this weekend so I don’t expect much this week as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend I was able to make slight headway but nothing significant. Got the hood, grill and fuel tank prepared with a DA sander to remove the sand blasting roughness. The cleaner metal revealed many more high and low spots that require hammer and dolly attention. I also think I will get the grill reforming tools  as I’m just not yet convinced its good enough yet. I think I can justify them since we have three “6” series grills and two “4” series that all need attention.

As if there aren’t enough irons in the fire I pulled the grill off the OS4 to give it some attention before this summer and my brother took the (hopefully) replacement head for the ODS6 to the machine shop for me.

362486B2-ABA6-4B42-8F8D-84E345A9A38B.jpeg

C515FCB5-3040-4693-A0EB-821667D6EE9A.jpeg

1E807C93-3928-4190-9118-7C37847163AA.jpeg

1E8A75C6-DA0C-40F5-9776-6151B24D7D0F.jpeg

Orchard 6 you might have to wait in line. I still have my OS4 and ODS6 to finish. Then my brothers ODS6 and W4, and then I think I may have my uncle convinced to let me do his O6.

Sounds like you guys have a good collection of O’s! I still use mine just enough that I’m not really ready to do a full on resto yet. I’d be too scared of scratching it to use it if it had fresh paint!

4 hours ago, Orchard6 said:

Sounds like you guys have a good collection of O’s! I still use mine just enough that I’m not really ready to do a full on resto yet. I’d be too scared of scratching it to use it if it had fresh paint!

That’s why i’m using CIH Iron guard paint. It’s middle of the road cost and quality wise so I won’t be too terribly upset if I get some working blemishes. I know the Red and Silver won’t be correct but it woks for me.

Making little gains but nothing big yet. Still working on getting the grill   to a point not where I’m satisfied with it. I ended up working on the OS4 grill in parallel as they both needed some of the same adjustments. Ended up re-making my own rib reforming tools, this time they seem to work much better. Both grills were pushed in at the bottom so I used a bottle jack (overkill) some sand bags and a 2x4 pushing on the main beam of the hose to get them right. It was a little tricky because I had to push them way past the intended shape for them to hold it once the pressure was removed.

On another note, machine shop called and the replacement head for the ODS6 was baked, blasted, magnafluxed and has no cracks (insert cheerful song and dance.) It will get valve seats, new starting valves as none were salvageable, a good set of reground intake and exhaust valves and will be decked clean and flat.

A7C10A1C-4870-4F29-A78F-E32832A93D23.jpeg

As others have said I am really enjoying your thread you have going here, and looking forward to seeing the finished product! 

Are you using a mig welder for your sheet metal repair? 

17 hours ago, B.B. said:

As others have said I am really enjoying your thread you have going here, and looking forward to seeing the finished product! 

Are you using a mig welder for your sheet metal repair? 

Yes I am using MIG for a majority of the sheet metal repair. I repaired the perforated portion of one of the hoods using MIG but it was a pain in the a**. So I cheated on the other two hoods and had one of my dads friends TIG in the other two perforated patches. It would be much easier overall to use TIG as far as controlling excess fill and warping, but my TIG skill level isn’t the best and I don’t think it would work the best with this old metal. 

Down to ordering the last parts, all of the electrical components. What company would you guys recommend for wiring harnesses? I will be using a magneto and will be adding the headlights sometime in the near future when I find a good set. 

26 minutes ago, SAM86 said:

Down to ordering the last parts, all of the electrical components. What company would you guys recommend for wiring harnesses? I will be using a magneto and will be adding the headlights sometime in the near future when I find a good set. 

I use Agri Services out of Alden , New York  Good guy and quality harnesses http://www.wiringharnesses.com/

14 hours ago, hillman said:

I use Agri Services out of Alden , New York  Good guy and quality harnesses http://www.wiringharnesses.com/

I have used these guys and also The Brillman Co. out of Mt Jackson Va.  Both have good products. The sets usually come pre-marked with what wire goes where. I use the braided wire sets and they are very nice and just like the originals.

I always  admire the amount of time and effort that goes into a restoration ?????