Sign in to follow this  
TroyDairy

8930 dual pto

8930 pushed seals out of small 1000 shaft while on gen running 540.  Any ideas?  Shaft is tight yet

TD does the pto have the 4 inch steel donut then seal goes in that? Sounds to me like it is possible that transmission breather is clogged under cab, as tractor sat on gen for a time expansion from heat pushed seal out, or is seal still intact and just leaking. 

Seal looks fine.  Yes a 4" donut it presses into.  I just quick grabbed it an it was tight.  Still icy thanks Glen

He is right check the breather !

those breathers get packed full of crap over time. you can clean them out but if it's plugged enough that you're getting enough pressure to push out seals i'd just replace it. 

3 hours ago, Andy578 said:

those breathers get packed full of crap over time. you can clean them out but if it's plugged enough that you're getting enough pressure to push out seals i'd just replace it. 

We had some dry field work last spring.  But, we redid the trans 1500 hrs ago so i'd think it was cleaned.  BUT, no reason not to check it.  It's under the floor panel isnt it?

45 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

We had some dry field work last spring.  But, we redid the trans 1500 hrs ago so i'd think it was cleaned.  BUT, no reason not to check it.  It's under the floor panel isnt it?

if i remember right it's behind the right side wheel towards the back, not the easiest spot to squeeze into. mine had a good bit of dirt built up around it so probably a good idea to clean off around it before you unscrew it. part is 1971726C1 and i see them listed for $17 online

1971726c1.jpg

I popped seal off all the way.  Bearing cage/spring is broke.  2 balls missing from bearing.  Called local Magnum guru up the road.  Custom guy with very capably shop and hands.  Hes going to check it out tomorrow a sec.  Just get a idea what we are looking at.  

That bearing behind the steel donut holding the seal has been somewhat of a nemesis on the Magnums with the newer style dual-speed PTO unit. You will see it is an unusual ball bearing in that it has a lip on the inner race-and that lip tends to crack/break, causing the problem you describe. I first thought it failed due to binding of the PTO driveshaft on the implement creating a side thrust on the bearing, causing race failure. However, I think something else is going on that is causing the bearing failure....and I've never quite figured out exactly what is causing the problem. Not a big deal, but the PTO unit will have to be disassembled to fix it properly. Good luck!!

6 minutes ago, SDman said:

That bearing behind the steel donut holding the seal has been somewhat of a nemesis on the Magnums with the newer style dual-speed PTO unit. You will see it is an unusual ball bearing in that it has a lip on the inner race-and that lip tends to crack/break, causing the problem you describe. I first thought it failed due to binding of the PTO driveshaft on the implement creating a side thrust on the bearing, causing race failure. However, I think something else is going on that is causing the bearing failure....and I've never quite figured out exactly what is causing the problem. Not a big deal, but the PTO unit will have to be disassembled to fix it properly. Good luck!!

The thing is the PTO was running on the 540.  Near 0* straight shaft to gen.  BUT, the Artex spreader is small 1000 with a CV joint on tractor end.  Frikin heavy.  And them spinners (vert spinner model, cyclone) take some umph to wing up.  Thats the only PTO work it does.  540 gen and 1000 spreader.  Wonder if the CV is wobbling a bit causing the fail?  But if its a common thing who knows.  If I had time i'd at least pull it out for guy.  See what he sees.  He knows Magnums, ran several for years chopping and tillage before going to JD (dealer stuff). 

Since you all were waiting with expectations....   Neighbor who is custom guy and good mechanic stopped in.  We looked, rear bearing out.  So we popped it out (like 20 min) and he was gonna rebuild it for us at his shop.  Does a bunch of work in winter when not chopping or baling.  He stopped in.....bearing must of been out for a bit.  Ground the housing and messed up the shaft too.  The main shaft settled and just rubbed the cases.  He is gettign prices together to determine if getting new casting or just get whole take out is cheaper.  Used dual pto are 5k min here plus frieght