Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High Cotton

Red Power Round Up 2018

Farming is a Family Affair! My dad wasn't the only one that could run a one row cotton picker. Check this picture out from the early 60's and Mom with a full basket of cotton ready to dump into the wagon. For those that know pickers ( Delta Dirt) check out the automatic header attachment you can see in this picture--that was cutting edge way back then.

5a6a764e40dbd_BodineTractors-theearlyyears-Faye-Feb1965.jpg.3f5dd1e660469d7acef54759dfbf570a.jpg

Been along time since I have seen that early version auto header control----that was cutting edge.

And-------ain't never seen a lady operating a mechanical cotton picker of any kind.  I barely trusted my wife or mother to drive my pickup.  Your dad was a brave man High Cotton!!!!;)

DD

Mom could do it all. Dad bought her a Super M with power steering so she could plow cotton. Of course before all the chemicals etc you had to start plowing when cotton was in the four leaf stage. Very slow—normally 1st gear and took forever to cover many acres so we put as many tractors in the field as possible. I started with an H farmall and two row front mounted plow when I was seven. I couldn’t reach the brake and the clutch at the same time. If I got into trouble in anyway I simply pushed the switch off and went for help. 

We are only 125 days from Red Power Round Up 2018 in Montgomery, Alabama. www.rpru2018.com. If you are interested in tours we have them on the website now and they will fill up fast. I try to post a picture each time I visit this thread just for the fun of it and to give you something to talk about and enjoy. A field of white cotton makes a great background for red tractors.

5a7cb703b5471_Bodine11.thumb.JPG.3345696d11af68c96c065d4b00480548.JPG

43 minutes ago, High Cotton said:

A field of white cotton makes a great background for red tractors.

It sure does!!

What kind of tours are you going to have?

32 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

What kind of tours are you going to have?

Check out the website. www.rpru2018.com. You will find all the descriptions along with pictures to give you an overview. We have a Civil Heritage tour, Cotton Gin tour, Legends tour, Old Alabama town tour, Hyundai tour, Indian Artifacts tour, and the Harriott II paddle wheeler boat excursion on the Alabama river. Something for everyone!

I just checked out Randy's RedPower Roundup 2018 site.  High Cotton sure has some good southern music playing in the background of his videos.

I believe that boy is already having a "cotton pickin" good time-------just gittin ready for the big show!!!;)

I enjoyed your videos H-C.  Keep up the good work.

DD

Figured I might should post these early day cotton pictures on Randy's thread while I can.

Am carrying my computer to the computer tech for a major cleaning/update tomorrow----------don't know what I will have when I come back.   Sorta have the same feeling I had when I went down for heart by-pass surgery a couple of years ago (feels like you are sticking your head way up in a lion's mouth)-----------but it's gotta be done, so just dive on in!!!!!!:huh::o

5a82305d045b9_cottonwagongoingtogin_mule.jpg.5841e63e3d8de46d7628df84ddac0b6f.jpg

5a82307940c69_cottonwagoninlineatgin_mules.jpg.0381cf2059cd1a8e510056549c3897c3.jpg

The mechanical cotton picker brought on a full series of major changes to the entire cotton industry.  Everything moved faster with a much higher volume-------resulting in a continous updating of the cotton gins and transport means as the mechanical picker evolved in today's modern piece of machinery.  Ironically---------the smaller gins have been swallowed up by the larger gins;  very similar to what we see with smaller farms and large farms today.

And-------the Farmall Regular was the first major step toward mechanization of the cotton industry;  and the tractor that put IHC on the map down here in cotton country.

5a82395e854f0_FarmallRegularadvertisment1_scalemodelbook.JPG.555e8e1d4d934038cf2b3d61de1eca25.JPG

Delta Dirt   Avon  Ms  38723

The phone number that is listed (tour chairman) for the tours is next to impossible to get a hold so far.  When finally was able to speak to a live person,  lady had no clue what was going on.  Said to call back tomorrow.  Hope that can get resolved sooner than later.  Really want to see the cotton gin tour,  maybe the riverboat.

Visit the website www.rpru2018.com for all the information on how to order your very own 1/16 scale 314 one row cotton picker. It turned out great with incredible detail. This is a limited edition serial numbered produced in low production numbers so don't delay in ordering yours today--they won't last long. This is our first look at the finished product and I thought I would share it with you so you can see how great it looks and turned out. I know some people wanted to see the actual replica--well here it is. If you want one or more I would suggest you go to the website www.rpru2018.com for this and much more including registration, tours, belt buckle etc.

IMG_9081.thumb.JPG.a93b5a29ea7dfaaf000786d332400e48.JPGIMG_9082.thumb.JPG.0bfcf10432e5b6cfa6ee691e43b0b82b.JPG

At Des Moines the Alabama table promised cooler weather and lower humidity than Iowa.

We will be there to see if they are right.

Us northerners are ready to be educated on cotton and southern farming with IH.

It WILL be fun!

On 4/24/2018 at 8:26 PM, Diesel Doctor said:

At Des Moines the Alabama table promised cooler weather and lower humidity than Iowa.

We will be there to see if they are right.

Us northerners are ready to be educated on cotton and southern farming with IH.

It WILL be fun!

It was hot and humid at Des Moines--20 degrees hotter than it was in Alabama that same week!  It was in the 70's in Alabama that week and it was in the 90's in Des Moines. So if we get the same week that we got then we will be great--and can fulfill that promise. It is going to be great no matter what the weather is. I have not been to a Round Up yet that I didn't like--rain, dust, mud, cool, hot--I loved them all. This is shaping up to be one of the most unique Round Up's ever--especially for those that have never experienced cotton and all the southern equipment. The northern people are excited that it is in the south with cotton and the southern folks are excited for it to come to their backdoor for a change. The response has been wonderful and by all indications this will be a big one--you do not want to miss it make plans to attend!   www.rpru2018.com

Can't wait to get there, Randy. BJ & I are flying down out of Fort Wayne, IN. Not sure if we are going to be on the same flight or not. I'm using some old frequent flyer miles that I have saved for a "Special Ocassion" . Got my hotel room and a golf cart reserved.  BJ is springing for the rental car and I'm springing for the golf cart. It couldn't possibly be any hotter than DuQuoin was. Watermelon at the Alabama Chapter tent??? :P

Went on the website but didn't find schedule of daily events. Where can I find that? Thanks

On 4/30/2018 at 8:15 AM, IHRedDrive said:

Went on the website but didn't find schedule of daily events. Where can I find that? Thanks

I think it says "Coming soon". A lot of last minute details before the final schedule can be published. I respond the same way each time: "Just attend all four days and you won't miss anything" :D   www.rpru2018.com 

It's coming quicker then I'd like.  I don't have everything ready yet.

Ya'll tell us who is bringing what tractors for display and where from????  That will all be interesting.

Me and the missus have too many health problems to try to make it.  But just as interested as everybody else.

My neighbor (and best friend) and his wife are going------and he does not participate here on the forum.  He is big into toy tractors------and extremely knowledgeable on cotton and the early IH pickers.

Will have him look you up Randy----his name is Buddy Cochran.  They own and operate the Avon Gin about a mile north of my shop.  

Delta Dirt  (Avon  Ms  38723)

On 5/6/2018 at 6:29 PM, Pete1468 said:

It's coming quicker then I'd like.  I don't have everything ready yet.

You could be speaking for me.  Because when I read that I thought-----you think it is coming quick----It is coming at me like a freight train on a greased track !:D   No stopping it now! What was I thinking when I came up with this idea. It will be great. If the phone calls, emails, tour sell outs, buses coming from all over etc. are any indication--this might be the biggest one yet! You don't want to miss it--the most unique Red Power Round Up.

www.rpru2018.com.

Y'all Come!

Where a month away till RPRU!  Coming from Alberta,  hope it isn't too hot.

Randy promised me perfect weather!  If I sweat I'm complaining, hehe.

I sent in the check for the Wednesday cotton tour. according to the RPRU facebook page, the Friday tour is already sold out.

Way down south in the land of cotton--

20180513_181701.thumb.jpg.265a5f5e6370ca7089173c76d093968c.jpg

I snapped this picture of a 1206 cultivating Cotton with a Lilliston rolling cultivator in the late 80's-----maybe 1990 over in Leflore County, Mississippi.

Our cotton here in the Delta is not quite to this stage yet-------but should be at this stage or beyond this stage in mid-June when Randy's big show is scheduled for Montogomery, Alabama (also in the land of cotton)

Round-up ready varieties have pretty much made this type of operation obsolete now-----but used to be a common sight across the Delta.  And the 806----1206's were popular work horses.

Cotton is like all crops.  Got to plant it, grow it, nurture it to get it to the harvest stage--------and then along  comes High Cotton with his Cotton Picker!!!

20180513_202128.thumb.jpg.805ed26b4b1ebf2ebcaf55bbfcc3028d.jpg

20170812_143916.thumb.jpg.fdcf5e2d1271ba5993c6ce6df4fac507.jpg

Y'all have fun!!!

Delta Dirt  (Avon  Ms  38723)

Folks------in cotton country, the term High Cotton is synonymous with the words "ultimate, successful crop, high on the totem pole etc..."

And to put it in mid-west terminology maybe:  "eating high on the hog."

There is such a thing as the High Cotton award presented by the Cotton Foundation and the Delta Farm Press.

I just pulled the below pictures from the Delta Farm Press relating to these awards-------could not help from passing them on here.

20180515_210311.thumb.jpg.e8515e212977a9cd425ed0be2d7d5981.jpg

20180515_210154.thumb.jpg.d710f4012423f59e3f7c28cd8d0db248.jpg

So our friend Randy Bodine (aka:  High Cotton) has a most appropriate handle for our RedPower forum.  Be willing to bet-----whatever he does, will be done right.   Good luck Randy.

Delta Dirt   (Avon  Ms 38723)