Recommended Posts

About 250mi away from the house here in North Fl.  I just made our reservations as well on Maxwell AFB lodge being military, about 6mi out.  Wanting to drive the IH 4900 Crew but haven't decided what to bring. 1206 and/or 504.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dieselox4 said:

About 250mi away from the house here in North Fl.  I just made our reservations as well on Maxwell AFB lodge being military, about 6mi out.  Wanting to drive the IH 4900 Crew but haven't decided what to bring. 1206 and/or 504.

 

 

Both!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Staying with wife's cousin in south B'ham suburb. About an hour give or take. She lives in a condo with a HOA so will probably only bring  pick up and golf cart.

Dennis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:37 PM, SMOKER 1 said:

That even gives a corn farmer some extra testosterone!!

Come to think of it ,My Doctor told me my levels were elevated recently.:lol:  I wish !:(

    Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:16 PM, High Cotton said:

       GUYS , GUYS !  B.J. is going to hammer you BECAUSE THAT IS JUST PLAIN", RED COTTON PICKER PORN !":o

          You just cannot be showing these rare I H. cotton pickers, looking showroom new, that are not all rusted and bent up, Makes some old cotton farmer some where out West depressed:blush:

       Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about our Dad-- back in the day picking cotton on a nice sunny day. This picture was taken in the late 50's or early 60's. Dad passed away over 20 years ago. We may not have dad but we still have this picker and you will be able to see it pick cotton if you come to Red Power Round Up in Montgomery, Alabama June 13-16th 2018. www.rpru2018.com

 

5a53fb037b87a_314CottonPicker1.jpg.f64a4d5f2ffcb6b58adb7cab6a27f240.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What was hiding in there for a tractor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not hiding--just tuck away a bit. 1953 Super M farmall. Dad had a thing about Super's. That is why we love them also I guess. First new tractor dad bought was a 1953 Super H--you can see it also if you come to Red Power in June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, High Cotton said:

How about our Dad-- back in the day picking cotton on a nice sunny day. This picture was taken in the late 50's or early 60's. Dad passed away over 20 years ago. We may not have dad but we still have this picker and you will be able to see it pick cotton if you come to Red Power Round Up in Montgomery, Alabama June 13-16th 2018. www.rpru2018.com

 

5a53fb037b87a_314CottonPicker1.jpg.f64a4d5f2ffcb6b58adb7cab6a27f240.jpg

Just plain Awesome !

   Tony

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are only five months away from the "World's Largest Showcase of International Harvester Products" or otherwise known as Red Power Round Up 2018. Lots of fun things to see and do5a579fe453ec4_IMG_0985(2).thumb.JPG.3b28235ededfef46abfe5b64ed28258a.JPG. We will be picking cotton each day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great picture!    Have never seen it being picked before.    Do you stay as clean as you are in the picture after a full day or is it dirty running it?  

Nate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Travel all over the country- must be nice to be retired.  ^_^  I'd sure like to go but it just can't happen this year...so I'll hit up as many local shows as I can.  Looking forward to the next time a RPRU comes to my area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, nate said:

Great picture!    Have never seen it being picked before.    Do you stay as clean as you are in the picture after a full day or is it dirty running it?  

Nate

You stay pretty clean. That picture I had already picked several baskets. If you look back at the picture of our Dad you can see that he had been picking most of the day and he is not filthy. You get more dirty doing the service work on the picker than you do running the picker. Keep in mind that some water is being added thru the moister pads which keeps down the dust and you have a fan that is blowing things away from the operator. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2018 at 7:38 PM, High Cotton said:

It is not hiding--just tuck away a bit. 1953 Super M farmall. Dad had a thing about Super's. That is why we love them also I guess. First new tractor dad bought was a 1953 Super H--you can see it also if you come to Red Power in June.

Is the picker something you put on an existing tractor back then or was it based on a Super M?  Looks pretty complex to change over back to a tractor!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2018 at 3:53 PM, Cool1566 said:

Is the picker something you put on an existing tractor back then or was it based on a Super M?  Looks pretty complex to change over back to a tractor!

Cotton pickers had the same basic progression that corn pickers had. They started back in the day mounted on a tractor then later on became self propelled units. These one row cotton pickers are mounted on a tractor—in this case a Super M Farmall. The picker can be taken off the tractor and the tractor used to farm with and then come harvest time the picker could be mounted back onto the tractor. Same concept that was used for mounted corn picker except you didn’t have to turn the tractor around to run backwards. Takes about a good day to take one off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info!  I've always wanted to see a cotton harvest!  I'm about 6 hours north of Montgomery so there is a slight chance I might make RPRU this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cool1566 said:

Thanks for the info!  I've always wanted to see a cotton harvest!  I'm about 6 hours north of Montgomery so there is a slight chance I might make RPRU this year. 

Slight chance-------MIGHT------ Pretty good chance you will never get to see one of these cotton pickers running again.  Let's change that "slight chance" to excellent chance, and "might" to will.  

Now it should read---there is an excellent chance I will make RPRU THIS YEAR!!  See how much better that sounds.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wife and I are getting setup to come from South Dakota.

We want to learn about the cotton as never seen it grow before.

Will there be exhibits on tobacco?

Never seen that grow either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, High Cotton said:

Cotton pickers had the same basic progression that corn pickers had. They started back in the day mounted on a tractor then later on became self propelled units. These one row cotton pickers are mounted on a tractor—in this case a Super M Farmall. The picker can be taken off the tractor and the tractor used to farm with and then come harvest time the picker could be mounted back onto the tractor. Same concept that was used for mounted corn picker except you didn’t have to turn the tractor around to run backwards. Takes about a good day to take one off.

Reminds me of helping Dad mount the corn picker on the 450 as a young boy. We pretty much figured that it was going to take the better part of a day to do that. Of course we had to milk the cows and gather the eggs before we started and after we finished. Things sure have changed haven't they. Thanks for the pictures, Randy. Sure have enjoyed them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, red211 said:

Slight chance-------MIGHT------ Pretty good chance you will never get to see one of these cotton pickers running again.  Let's change that "slight chance" to excellent chance, and "might" to will.  

Now it should read---there is an excellent chance I will make RPRU THIS YEAR!!  See how much better that sounds.  

That does sound better!  I'd love to come but will have to see what's happening around then. We could still be planting then the way the backwaters have been occurring in May the last few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

re:   mounting cotton picker to tractor 

 

5a5ce756e82e9_cottonpickermountingtotractor.thumb.jpg.d5ad2b8dc68ff82f89582ed8e6fe6068.jpg

 

The above illustration is of a high drum picker-------looks to be mounting onto an M.   Basically the same process for mounting a low drum other than the mounting of the drop housings and tall front wheel fork for the higher clearance.  With the picker hung/supported properly when dismounted--------the process was really that big of a job.  

I haven't seen the schedule------------but it "may be" that Randy is going to give a demonstration on mounting and dismounting a cotton picker to the tractor????   I won't be much help anymore-------but I could loan some wrenches!!!!!:):P

 

When the two row pickers came into play-----------the picker was a direct mount to the self propelled unit.

 

Ya'll have a cotton pickin good time!!!!

 

Delta Dirt   Avon,  Ms  38723

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

    Probably get slammed for this since l grew up in cotton country, but around here it was harvested with a stripper instead of picker. So my dumb question is....what is the difference between a low drum and a high drum picker?

  Way back when, l've watched my Dad mount a #30 stripper on a 560 by himself in about a half a day with just a little help from a "illegal alien". And that included changing from a wide front to a single wheel front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TwoStep---

High drum:  20 spindles per bar

Low drum:   16 spindles per bar; 

and don't know how popular, but there were some ultra low drums with 10 spindles per bar (saw one mounted on a 'B' Farmall at the Ms Ag Museum)

The high drums were more popular in the taller higher yielding cotton.

High drums ran the bull gear drop box axles to elevate the tractor.

Don't feel bad------I started to answer you and had to confirm the spindle count on the low drum with my 'cotton pickin' neighbor.  Didn't want to put out any "fake news" here.;)

Edit:  further research reports some 18 bar high drum and 14 bar low drums based on a 2008 or 2009 thread here on RedPower.  Am satisfied that the early one row high drums were 20 spindles.  Randy (High Cotton) might need to confirm or correct me on the low drum being  16 spindles???

DD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worth noting:  Herb Willcut from Mississippi State is a recognized authority on old cotton pickers.  Seems like somewhere High Cotton has stated that he new Herb Willcutt.

I am going to make Herb aware of the dates on the Montgomery show.  He may want to come take it in.

The picker mounting illustration I posted above came from info provided to me by Herb Willcutt.  Wealth of knowledge and good guy to go with it.

 

DD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just thought I would let everyone know that Red Bibs Bill is planning on being there with his 3588 and full mounted plow. He just sent me a note saying he is planning on coming. Was going to post a pic of his rig but can't find one right now. If any of you have not seen Bill's 2+2 and plow it is one of the finest 2+2's you will ever see and it runs just as good as it looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now