QLD 706

F656 Hydro Serial Number Identification

Hi everyone, could you please give me advice on the following. I recently bought a Chisholm Ryder bean picker. This is powered by a Farmall 656 Hydro, it is not a hi clear but an adapted wide front Farmall. If I look online the serial numbers are quite short but mine is long 2450118U043651*  Model F 656, I understand how to identify the year made from the shorter ones but not from this. There were not many  656's that came to Australia, any advice would be appreciated.

20171231_165517.jpg

$_20.JPG

It's a 1970 according to my records.

8 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

The serial number is the part after the U.

Hi Matt, thank you very much for explaining that. I have seen quite a number of plates over here but never seen one that long.

5 hours ago, Eason said:

It's a 1970 according to my records.

Thank you for looking this up Eason, I have a 1944 Farmall H, 1965 F 706 D and now a 1970 F 656 Hydro in need of much work. This in no way stacks up against your collection, alot of great tractors there. In Australia you would find most of these in books only.

QLD 706: Are you planning on cutting it down to the bare tractor? I have seen an old Chisholm-Ryder 504 that they cut down and it didn't look bad. The emblems mostly are available thru Steiner or Jeff Foreman on this forum. The knees for the front axle are available thru A&I (your local JD dealer here in Canada)

interesting that despite the obvious bean harvester, the serial number doesn't have CR anywhere on the plate. the earlier CR bean harvesters , like my 240, had a CR spec number as well as the tractor number on the plate.

6 hours ago, ny bill o said:

interesting that despite the obvious bean harvester, the serial number doesn't have CR anywhere on the plate. the earlier CR bean harvesters , like my 240, had a CR spec number as well as the tractor number on the plate.

I have previously owned two Chisholm Ryder Farmall  504 D Hi Clears and yes you are right. It was one of the first things that I looked for but did not find. These two tractors, one only good for parts were swapped for the F 706 D.

Marburg 010.jpg

Marburg 009.jpg

8 hours ago, George 2 said:

QLD 706: Are you planning on cutting it down to the bare tractor? I have seen an old Chisholm-Ryder 504 that they cut down and it didn't look bad. The emblems mostly are available thru Steiner or Jeff Foreman on this forum. The knees for the front axle are available thru A&I (your local JD dealer here in Canada)

I don't know yet, it was bought for spare parts for my F 706 with a D 282. It is alot of work to get this back to an original Farmall as CR take alot of components off and reconfigure things. The USA is the birthplace of this tractor and parts are easier to find there, there aren't many in Australia and postage for heavy items from the US is at a premium. Please see the photos of two Chisholm Ryder Farmall  504 D Hi Clears that I once owned. This is why these were swapped for my current F 706. Either way if I had not bought the 504's and 656 they would have been sold for scrap which is a crime in my book, so now they will all survive. Thank you for your parts suggestions, it is always handy to have some new contacts. I am pretty sure that Jeff Foreman supplied me with a pair of 504 Hi Clear emblems, I was very happy with them.

Marburg 007.jpg

Marburg 008.jpg

I think they started with the long serial numbers in 1969 or 1970.

It probably wasn't stamped "CR-anything" because there was no room left on the tag.

On 02/01/2018 at 7:59 PM, QLD 706 said:

I don't know yet, it was bought for spare parts for my F 706 with a D 282. It is alot of work to get this back to an original Farmall as CR take alot of components off and reconfigure things. The USA is the birthplace of this tractor and parts are easier to find there, there aren't many in Australia and postage for heavy items from the US is at a premium. Please see the photos of two Chisholm Ryder Farmall  504 D Hi Clears that I once owned. This is why these were swapped for my current F 706. Either way if I had not bought the 504's and 656 they would have been sold for scrap which is a crime in my book, so now they will all survive. Thank you for your parts suggestions, it is always handy to have some new contacts. I am pretty sure that Jeff Foreman supplied me with a pair of 504 Hi Clear emblems, I was very happy with them.

Marburg 007.jpg

Marburg 008.jpg

Victorian number plate from the late 1960s.

The 504 was never imported into Australia as a farm tractor, these have obviously been imported as complete units.

The 504 Diesel was imported into New Zealand in smallish quantities. The four cylinder D-188 diesel engine used in 504 was effectively two thirds of the six cylinder D-282 diesel engine, same bore & stroke.

On 31/12/2017 at 6:08 PM, QLD 706 said:

Hi everyone, could you please give me advice on the following. I recently bought a Chisholm Ryder bean picker. This is powered by a Farmall 656 Hydro, it is not a hi clear but an adapted wide front Farmall. If I look online the serial numbers are quite short but mine is long 2450118U043651*  Model F 656, I understand how to identify the year made from the shorter ones but not from this. There were not many  656's that came to Australia, any advice would be appreciated.

20171231_165517.jpg

$_20.JPG

It would have been imported into Australia as a complete unit. The later 666 Hydro farm tractor was into Australia in small numbers but I didn't realise that any 656s were imported here.

On 4/15/2018 at 10:41 PM, Michael Halsall said:

It would have been imported into Australia as a complete unit. The later 666 Hydro farm tractor was into Australia in small numbers but I didn't realise that any 656s were imported here.

Hi Michael, I have just seen your post. Thank you for your information. This tractor is now going to a collector who has the man power and USA connections to restore it, anyway it has been saved from the salvage yard.

On 1/2/2018 at 7:59 PM, QLD 706 said:

I don't know yet, it was bought for spare parts for my F 706 with a D 282. It is alot of work to get this back to an original Farmall as CR take alot of components off and reconfigure things. The USA is the birthplace of this tractor.

Marburg 007.jpg

Marburg 008.jpg

Victorian number plates issued in the late 1960s. Where was this tractor found? Gippsland region? 

P.S. To the best of my knowledge the Farmall 656 wasn't sold in Australia as a "normal" farm tractor. I believe the locally built Farmall 564 took its place in our market. The Farmall 656 Diesel was sold in limited numbers in New Zealand though as the Farmall 564 wasn't sold there.  I assume this machine was originally imported as a whole unit from the USA.

P.P.S. I notice in your post you mention you have a Farmall 706 with a D-282 engine. There was a later version of the 706 in North America that had the D-310 engine in it. They were a sort of an updated version of the 706 before the 756 was introduced in 1967. I have always believed that the D-310 version of the 706 was never sold here, and this seems to prove it.

Regards from Michael H. in Victoria