Kyle Hancock

Super c won’t turn over.

Hey guys, super c with 6v system won’t turn over hardly at all. New hot battery, cleaned all connections and had starter checked(it was fine). Will pull start with no problem and was starting ok before. Any advice?

thanks, 

kyle

cold temps won't help. (not sure where you live)

with 6 volt, you need heavier battery cables than you need with 12v. probably #2 size.

maybe try an 8v battery?

Thanks bill, 

ive got big cables on it already and I’m located in tn. It stays in my shop that stays 60-70 degrees. I bought it and had to pull it off to start the first time then after that it fired right off with the starter. I put out a round bale the other day and it died right before I got it back to the shop. Had to pull it off again but fired right up that way however the starter will barely if ever budge it now. Sorry for the novel!

Kyle,  Don't know where your ground is connected right now but that could be an issue.  Originally the ground was connected at the battery box which is ok if connection makes it to the starter.  Try grounding directly to the starter and see if that helps.  Good luck

Dennis

Thinking you have a push in starter button on Super C ?

If you do, and haven't done so already, maybe check the contacts on  your starter button, they can get overheated and need cleaned up ..

Just a thought, have had that issue occur in the past ..

Thanks for the replies. My ground strap is connected to the rear left bolt on the gas tank bracket. The starter button is also good because I took it to the starter shop today and it fired off great for him when he tested it. I do however have gas seeping out of the vent on the bottom of the carb.  

Have measured the voltage drop to ground ? I have to clean my starter switch . 

I have included some photos from my super manual . These starters need some some maintenance. I have had the same issues with my C's and I have to go through everything . The biggest thing I have found beside the starter is the cables 0 or one two gage positve ground is a must . If you ,have a battery that's 6.3 volts and you pull the stater in and it volts drops enough not to fire . If the starter is cranking longer than thirty seconds something else wrong. Tune up , compression . 

Good luck let us know what you find. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I agree with the ground. The original location grounded to the gas tank was not ideal. Get a good cable that his longer and clean up a spot and ground right to the starter mounting bolt.

Check the starter bushings. The armature may be dragging on the fields.

1 hour ago, R Pope said:

Check the starter bushings. The armature may be dragging on the fields.

Good point , about bushing , I got one here that I need to do that two. 

11 hours ago, Kyle Hancock said:

Thanks for the replies. My ground strap is connected to the rear left bolt on the gas tank bracket. The starter button is also good because I took it to the starter shop today and it fired off great for him when he tested it. I do however have gas seeping out of the vent on the bottom of the carb.  

DO you have a Carter carburetor?  I can't get this c to start if I fail to shut gas off at shutdown . Garenteed 

I have one on my super c and it is doing the same thing ,I have not had time ti check it out . I have a very strong feeling my float (BAD)is leaking.

i think floats are about 40 dollars shipping and handling and a kit extra. 

I just had a Tecumseh that float was bad ,did the same thing,

I'm going to change the float and start over . 65 year old float , needs to be replaced . You can see the porous spot when you remove and shake the float you will hear gas inside 

good luck let us know what you have found . 

how is the ignition timing to far advanced will cause an engine to roll hard

My experience with starter "testing" is that they just hook a battery to it and see if it spins. If it spins it's "good." The test doesn't prove anything; just because the starter spins with battery voltage does not mean it is working properly under load.

We had the same problem with a starter on our Super C. Put battery voltage to it on the floor and it would spin like crazy. On the tractor, hardly at all. And it was on 12V too. Ended up getting another used starter off Ebay and it works fine. Gave the bad starter to my uncle and he discovered that it had a bent shaft.

My guess is that your starter needs work. If the shop didn't load test it than that means nothing. There is a guy in Maquoketa, Iowa that rebuilds starters and he does a fine job. He has done starters for me off of a SM, SC, 200, 460, and an old Owatonna wind rower, problems ranging from your type of problem to broken springs and all for about $40.

Thanks so much for all the great ideas. I’m going to try these ideas and will most definitely update y’all when I get to the bottom of it. Thank you so much again for all the help!

Hey fellas, 

just an update on the super starting problem. I had carb problems and also have pulled the trigger to convert to 12v thanks to “Charliesrepair.com”. He’s a great resource and can’t thank him enough. Almost finished installing the fast hitch and will update when all is complete.