JessePeden

20’-24’ disk thoughts

I appreciate all the info is on the chisel plows we bought a Glencoe nine shanks soil saver, 

now we’re looking for a 24’or 25 foot diskthoughts on the best one want to get to mainly discount corn stocks in disc in chicken litter we have a soil finisher with a rolling Harrow to finish fields with will be pulling with the same tractors new magnum 200 and 4840 Deere I think everyone ahead of time for all the wisdom out there

We have a Krause that we bought used in the spring of 2015. We disc corn stalks in corn on corn situations and the disc does a fine job working corn stalks up. 

Here are a few pictures of our disc discing corn stalks for you to judge if it's right for you or not. The first 3 pictures are 1 pass over 190 bpa corn from the previous year. The other 2 are where i chiseled plowed wheat stubble where we spread manure. Ours is a 26 foot FYI.

20160415_093730.jpg

20160415_093211.jpg

20160415_093143.jpg

20160415_093720.jpg

20150428_115901.jpg

20150428_115929.jpg

56 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

We have a Krause that we bought used in the spring of 2015. We disc corn stalks in corn on corn situations and the disc does a fine job working corn stalks up. 

Here are a few pictures of our disc discing corn stalks for you to judge if it's right for you or not. The first 3 pictures are 1 pass over 190 bpa corn from the previous year. The other 2 are where i chiseled plowed wheat stubble where we spread manure. Ours is a 26 foot FYI.

20160415_093730.jpg

20160415_093211.jpg

20160415_093143.jpg

20160415_093720.jpg

20150428_115901.jpg

20150428_115929.jpg

What model is this

I have a Krause a lot like Reichow7120 minus the rock flex.  Does an excellent job.  Bout all the 5488 2wd can handle in the spring if you let her go in as far she wants to.

1 hour ago, JessePeden said:

What model is this

4938a.

Sunflower is best disk out there in my opinion

10 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

4938a.

Is it 7 or 9” spacing what size magnum is yours 

thanks just really get into higher horsepower we went from a 4020 and 4430 to the two we have now and I can hook all of it together and pull at once now😉😎

5 hours ago, JessePeden said:

Is it 7 or 9” spacing what size magnum is yours 

thanks just really get into higher horsepower we went from a 4020 and 4430 to the two we have now and I can hook all of it together and pull at once now😉😎

9" spacing. We pull it with a 7120. Normally it's on the FWA 7120 but I have used our 2wd 7120 too if the other one is tied up. 

I have a 496, and it does a great job leveling and cutting up corn stalks!

27 minutes ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Is it 7 or 9” spacing?? How big of one do you have 

2 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

So you bought a 496. I wondered what you finally came up with after answering some questions and sending you some specs.

I had a 32' 496 with the 7.5" spacing. Disking wheat stubble or weedy conditions stuff would hairpin wherever a bearing was between the bearing and scrapers. Removed the scrapers that were on by the bearings it worked ok. The main frame above the wheels on the right side broke completely and had to fix it. I've heard anything over 28' on a 496 was too much weight for the frame. I've got a Krause 7300 now with the 7.8" spacing. No comparison to the 496 on which is the better disk.

1 hour ago, Reichow7120 said:

So you bought a 496. I wondered what you finally came up with after answering some questions and sending you some specs.

3 hours ago, JessePeden said:

Is it 7 or 9” spacing?? How big of one do you have 

I ended up getting a 9" spacing disc.  I wanted a 7" but I couldn't find one in my price range, size, or in decent shape.  This disc is actually a bit big for the 3688.  Its a 25' wide one.  I was shooting for a 19 to 20 footer.  The price was resonable, very close to home, and well maintained.  Plan is to modify it this Spring to bring it down to about 20 feet.  I have to strip the wings and see if I can re-use the front gang bolt for the back or just cut all four of them to the proper length and re-thread the one end for the nut.  Not sure which way I'm going yet.  It got too wet and cold this fall to do anything with it yet.  Now we are sitting here with about 16" or so of snow and -25 to -30'C temps this week.  No way working with steel is going to get done!  So maybe start working on it come January thaw time or something?  The 3688 can pull them but I can't sink them down much more than about 3 inches or so.  Some places I need to sink it a bit more than that, but I can't, will snuff out the tractor.  I had the mechanic turn it up a bit so that helped a lot.  But I'd rather pull a bit smaller disc and when I need to sink it down to get out some ruts OR I get into a wet spot - then I have the power to pull it out of there okay.  No need of killing the tractor to save yourself an hour here or there.  Time is in short supply come Spring - so last thing I need is to have the tractor in the shop because the disc was just too heavy.

As far as leveling and cutting up stalks - great job!  I had read some negative things about both the 3800/3900's as well as the 496's - but for me, fortunately I have not had the issues they had posted (mostly about leaving field ridged).  

The previous owner had modified the wing lift cylinders on the unit I bought - he didn't like the X pattern that IH had on them.  I like the way he did it, makes it very easy to see what is behind you when on roads or backing into shed.

iphone transfer 2618.jpg

iphone transfer 2615.jpg

iphone transfer 2629.jpg

iphone transfer 2628.jpg

4 hours ago, 856 Custom said:

I had a 32' 496 with the 7.5" spacing. Disking wheat stubble or weedy conditions stuff would hairpin wherever a bearing was between the bearing and scrapers. Removed the scrapers that were on by the bearings it worked ok. The main frame above the wheels on the right side broke completely and had to fix it. I've heard anything over 28' on a 496 was too much weight for the frame. I've got a Krause 7300 now with the 7.8" spacing. No comparison to the 496 on which is the better disk.

Do you have a harrow or anything on the 7300 

Here's the other pictures I was looking for before...

iphone transfer 3013.jpg

iphone transfer 2845.jpg

iphone transfer 2853.jpg

2 hours ago, JessePeden said:

Do you have a harrow or anything on the 7300 

No I don't. This was the first year I've had it, bought used. Around this area they're is more disks without harrows than with, can't say why. I did hook up the Unverferth 220 double rolling harrow behind it, that I pull behind the tigermate ll. Even though the harrow is 37' and the disk is 31', just had to watch along the outside round, it really did a good job behind the disk. I don't care for the double rolling harrow behind the tigermate ll because it can make it too fine depends on soil conditions if you get a big rain. A single crumbler would be better, but what CNH call's they're tiger paw harrow that bolts to the back of the field cultivator with hydraulic cylinders to raise and lower the basket would be the best. I've got that on the 875 disk ripper and that is nice. Then you can just use the field cultivator and get rid of the long train. Rolling harrows are pretty expensive for what you get, 650/700 a foot, where the tiger paw outfit is around 550/600.00 a foot. Still not a deal, but what is anymore.

14 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Here's the other pictures I was looking for before...

iphone transfer 3013.jpg

iphone transfer 2845.jpg

iphone transfer 2853.jpg

Okay, 496 with a different wing fold? Not even a HP has that. I have never seen that before.

9 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Okay, 496 with a different wing fold? Not even a HP has that. I have never seen that before.

What these aren't stock?  LOL.  What's a HP?

Previous owner modified this 496.  He didn't like the "X" pattern that IH created, so he had a local welder do this up for him.  I find its quite beefy and works well.  You are correct - I haven't seen one set up like this before.  Perhaps its his version of an RMX??  Not really sure.  I like it though, works well on lifting the wings and they do have a bit of float (about an inch or so).  Can see the pin on the wing where the cylinder hooks up is about center in the slot, so about an inch - two at the most that it could float back up if needed.  I figured from what I had found when I had been looking for one (which were VERY FEW), this was the best bang for my buck - even if I have to modify it and narrow it up.  I still have a local unit, in good shape, and a rock-flex model too.  So if I ever decided to sell it, I would have that going for me as well.

iphone transfer 3011.jpg

1 hour ago, Mountain Heritage said:

What these aren't stock?  LOL.  What's a HP?

Previous owner modified this 496.  He didn't like the "X" pattern that IH created, so he had a local welder do this up for him.  I find its quite beefy and works well.  You are correct - I haven't seen one set up like this before.  Perhaps its his version of an RMX??  Not really sure.  I like it though, works well on lifting the wings and they do have a bit of float (about an inch or so).  Can see the pin on the wing where the cylinder hooks up is about center in the slot, so about an inch - two at the most that it could float back up if needed.  I figured from what I had found when I had been looking for one (which were VERY FEW), this was the best bang for my buck - even if I have to modify it and narrow it up.  I still have a local unit, in good shape, and a rock-flex model too.  So if I ever decided to sell it, I would have that going for me as well.

iphone transfer 3011.jpg

HP is High Plains, they have some solid steel frame to make them heavier. i owned one once. They are only seen in the south, mine came from Kansas. Wondered if your fold was a blacksmith deal, it looks really good.

9 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

HP is High Plains, they have some solid steel frame to make them heavier. i owned one once. They are only seen in the south, mine came from Kansas. Wondered if your fold was a blacksmith deal, it looks really good.

Ahhhh, ok.  Can honestly say I have never seen a HP disc - or at least not knowing it was one anyways!  This one was just a local welder who did it for him.  Honestly, I think it was a young guy just starting out that he gave him the opportunity to do it - but don't quote me on that.  Pretty sure that's what his son in law told me when I bought it from him after his passing.  The son in law and the man's wife was selling off some of the machinery they wouldn't need.  Guy used to be a dairy farmer, quite a good herd that was known for decent genetics.  I guess that carried over to his equipment too!

So going to modify the wings on my disc this spring, any chance someone out there with a 19 or 20 foot disc able to give the width of their wings from and back?  Might make for a bit less head scratching when the guy I have modifying them asks where I want to cut the frame.  

If your going to use the disc mainly for sizing stalks in the fall 9" spaving works best. However, IMO, if you're also going yo use it in the dpring the 7 1/2" spavings works best. I had a 24' 496, 7 1/2" spacing, mainly 7sed on stalks in the fall. 2 wd 7120 handled it fine, 1486 on the front you had to watch how deep you ran it or tractor would spin out. One thing, if you go with a 24' or wider you definetly want dual wheels on the wings. I would recommend them even on a 22'.

Far as a harrow, when I bought mine it had a 3 bar coil tine harrow mounted on it. Never cared for a coil tine, doesn't level like a spike in our heavier soils. Harrow also made the fisc unbalanced & hard to level. I eventually took it off and bought a pt bed ddpring harrow. Disc leveled much getter plus was as hard to take off to work stalks in the fall.

FWIW, never been around a Sunflower disc but always heard they were a good disc. Like you we basically run either our field cultivator or our soil finisher in the spring. We traded the 496 for a 330TT. We seldom runmit in the spring, mostly used for sizing stalks in the fall. We really prefer it over a regular disc for working stslks, doesn't turn up the root balls like a regular disc.

We added dual wheels to the wings on our 20' Kewanee disk and it made it much smoother.  Nowhere near the wing bounce.   Pretty much quit using it now that I have a chopping corn head...combine in the fall and field cultivate with a high clearance DMI Tigermate FC in the spring.