jworley

Diversity

I thought about color diversity, while riding around goofing off earlier today I saw an older gentleman who lives near here out in his back yard washing off his small Oliver utility tractor. I considered stopping to talk with him about it but, he's not exactly the outgoing sociable type. As a matter of fact I waved at him as I do every time I see him in the yard and he just stared at me as he does every time. Anyway aside from the little Oliver I've seen that he also has an open station White 2-85( I think) that probably hasn't had 100 hours put on it in the last 30 years. Getting to the whole point of this is, to see a tractor actually being used for farming around here these days that's older than 4years and any other color besides green and yellow is extremely rare. 

Use to be you would meet a tractor on the road or see it in the field and could tell from a half mile away whose it was because even different tractors of the same model didn't always look just alike. Now when I see one I just think there's an 8370r, just like every other 8370r around here. I liked it better when they weren't all the same. Every area is different of course, there are probably some counties in other parts of the country that have more acres of row crops than we do in the entire state. In my immediate area we have fields surrounded by thick woods (unfortunately filled with feral hogs) with a lot of center pivot irrigation and sandy well drained soils. There's a little bit of corn/wheat/beans here but the main crops in this area are peanuts and cotton. Since those green modulecotton pickers came out one has to measure how much fuel is in the tank to determine the value of a red one. I do have a neighbor who has a fairly late model red combine along with an older Cat Lexion machine and another neighbor with about a two year old red combine( most farmers close by don't have a grain combine). 

Does your area have any diversity left?

P.S.- just in case anybody was wondering, I lurk here often but rarely post because most of the time I don't have anything valuable to add. Although I grew up on a farm and farmed myself for a while, I don't anymore now I work for a farm service company (seed/fertilizer and chemicals) the only tractor I have at present is a little  Yanmar. I've ridden a many a mile on 1066/1466/1086/14/1586/784 and a 5088 along with a few blue ones and a whole bunch of those green ones(yuck).

Just like everywhere else, our small farms are petering out and remaining farms, all dairy, are growing. 

Most are green but plenty are still red. 

We have a great CIH dealer 30 miles away which I think is the ONLY reason red has hung on here. 

And still some orange floating around and NOT Kubota orange. 

I don't think I've seen an orange one still farming since the early 90s. Those later model ones 8070(?) were some good looking machines. We had a very good AC and White dealer here until about 83. He would have them lined up in front of the building a row of orange and a row of silver, both were looking sharp.

In my direct area there are a lot of cattle farms and few big crop operations. Most guys are like me, grow what your cows eat and sell some here or there. I see a lot of different colors. Lots of older fords, IH, JD. 4440;s, 4020's. 1086's. I see a few Kubota, and Allis. But if you drive 30 or so miles toward the MO or Mississippi river bottoms its a whole different ball game. Green, the dealer support is far and away the best as far as locations. When I call them to order a part for my little 2040 I just cringe.

Lots of small farm diversity here.  One Allis farm, one ford, mostly red, some green, a few New Holland blue.  Custom guys mostly Fendt.  Red dealer support is what drives things here.  Dairy is number one ag industry here followed by the recent explosion in poultry barns.  There are a few hog barns around and most at least one of every niche i can think of. Although not good by any means dairy seems to be getting by here better than in some areas.

Just like the topic I posted yesterday about the "broken toys".  That tells me that at one time, Coleman, TX may have had an IH dealer, but now I can only think of one CIH combine, and one CIH 4WD tractor, although there are maybe 3 or 4 CIH row crop tractors that I can think of off the top of my head.

Now, the nearest CIH dealers are in Ablilene (55 miles), Stephenville, (90 miles), and San Angelo, (75 miles), and I don't think the dealer in Stephenville sells many tractors other than those sold to the horse people, hay growers, and the dairies up there.

The one CIH 4WD is outnumbered three to one by the two older Versatiles, and the single blue Ford New Holland Versatile.

I can't quite get my head around the fact that Quality Implement, the local JD dealer, and the preponderance of the latest JD 4WD, rowcrop, and utility tractors of all sizes, along with the dozen or so S670 and S680 combines in this area.  About the only thing that isn't green, is the tillage equipment, which is Landoll, but the JD dealer sells it.  I don't know if the local dealership would work on the cotton pickers, or if they would send it off to another store, however, I believe the little store in Ballinger is set up to work on cotton pickers and strippers (if they are even used anymore)

us to be any color available 10 ea of IH /JD within 50 m + shorts

now it has to do more with support (if they can do own work) and cost/availability of the parts

both my cousins buy ANYTHING that will run/work for them

green is the only thing new for 70 miles,trucking 2x and $100h labor is killing the rest as smalls and hobby cant cover that + taxs

until 2013 ,upto 20 miles we did some of that farming and service calls,

(maybe 3 calls a year now) wife will say been broke x days  fix asap,so he will sleep and be out of house!!

one owner (now 105) until 98 and blind,we had to mow fields every year and 2x service for use,his one owner complete setup 8n outfit  .

last real salvage yard 70 miles away (will <10 retire the 3rd generation and close) they sell all over the country,but old style phone/teletype ,cant work computer,    now anything nice they have someone once a month  eblast it , to sell and not part,and only part others when actual order vs gut /stock/scrap when they had 8 full time.

regional smuck has been poor mouthing family need for anything old or not running ,stealing a lot of good originals  and then busting into pieces for $3-8K profit per unit thru the dealer side.75% of ads on craigs,repeat day after day

with no way for us to get the general word out to stop/think  first ,much of the rest has been scrapped

and those old timers that have children to internet educate them,  will price $4-5 K tractor @ $7-10K,to keep out the speculators,but if you pass inspection or know  joe xyz and agree to keep it, price is $2500

We still have one CaseIH dealer here, as far I can think of every location in South Georgia is all the same company, there's another dealer in North Georgia but, it's mostly all smaller things like utility tractors and hay equipment.

The town I grew up around, up until the early 80s had IH, JD,AC, White, MF and Ford dealers, the only thing left is green. The multi store CaseIH dealer for this area has their corporate headquarters there but no sales. Most any grain combines much newer than about 83 models were brought here used from other parts of the country. When I was a kid 90% of the cotton pickers here were green until CaseIH came out with the 1822/1844 pickers then all of a sudden it was about 50/50. When the inline green four rows started catching on the red ones started losing market share to the point that you can hardly give one away now. Whatever Case has planned to stay in the cotton picker market better be done FAST.  There's probably about 1-2 newer CaseIH tractors around for every 20 green ones. I know a fellow who has all green field tractors and one new CaseIH utility tractor with a loader and cab on it because it was cheaper. Then there's two brothers that have late model Case tractors and those are the only ones in this whole county that I know of. You do see a few more of them in areas closer to dealerships though. A fellow up the road from me (in another county) has late model red equipment but it's few and far between. There's a fairly new (5-6 years old ) AGCO Challenger dealer about 50-60 miles away. They always have a lot of stuff on their yard and sell a good bit of fertilizer equipment. Terragators and Rowgators are fairly common. 

For a while there were a lot of Case 3 wheel floaters around but the dealer for GA/Fla/Ala also sells Vectors so the three wheelers have been going away.( if you ever try a three wheel floater then drive a Vector you'll see why).

I don’t think CaseIH makes a cotton harvester any longer. 

They are still making a few I think, I recently saw a couple of new ones on the lot. I wish they could get back going on pickers but, it doesn't look like they want to make that investment.

Here in (north) west Arkansas there are very few of us who grow crops, mostly cattle or poultry farms plus alot of hobby farms.  There is alot of tractor diversity here but JD is first and Kubota is second.

Among the few of us who grow crops JD is tops and CIH is second.  It amazes me any of us still run red paint because it is an hour and a half to the nearest dealer (who stocks nothing) and almost three hours to a dealer who stocks much.  The cow and poultry boys run mostly JD, Kubota or Ford New Holland plus alot of minor brands thrown in.  The hobby farmers run everything. 

Thx-Ace