DT466 Bosch MW Pump Timing

Sask466

Hello all,

I was hoping you folks could help me with a question about pump timing.  My engine is a 466 (180hp) in a 1986 s1954.  The tag on the intake list something like 16deg of timing, but I can’t confirm that this is not the original intake (tag makes reference to 1981 on it, but I do have a 468 block).  Maybe the head and intake got replaced, who knows.

The engine is currently sitting at around 22deg of timing.  I found an archived thread that mentions 23deg for a Bosch MW in a 5488.  Is this a reasonable figure of my engine?  The reason I was concerned is because so many diesels engines seem to be more like 15,16,17deg, and my tag info on the engine is conficting.  

Does the ambac 100 pump run a different timing?  I thought they were more like 16deg or something.

Thanks in advance - this is the best forum on the internet by the way!

If I remember correctly the bosch inline pump should be 24 before tdc and ambac is 18 before tdc. I will confirm  my book when I get to the shop today.

Okay, thanks guys.  23 -25 degrees seems to be the number then.  I will leave mine alone then at 22.   That seems like a lot of timing compared to most other diesels with inline pumps, but what do I know (not much!).  

Archived