IH1026

C153 head bolt torque questions

My dad had some work done to his Farmall 504 (C153 Engine) last winter, which involved having the head gasket replaced.  Since then, the head has started to leak a small bit and I was looking to get the pattern and specs to re-torque the head bolts before we put another gasket on.  Unfortunately, he lost his shop manual, so I have nothing to go by here.  Any help would be appreciated. 

The torque spec is 80-90ft/lbs.  Without a picture, about all I can say is to start in the middle  and work clockwise in a circle.  Hope this helps.

Those heads are to be retorqued and reset the valves after retorque.

Do it now and then again in about another 20 hours of work or a few months of light use.

You will be amazed at how much they do loosen up.

I have a question, How do you all retorque the cylinder head bolts.  I'm thinking that most, put the torque wrench on the bolt and pull.  Often the wrench clicks without turning the nut.  I recommend that you have an extra wrench handy and you back off (one at a time) each bolt or nut a 1/4 turn and then torque to proper setting.  You can check for your self that this extra step does make a difference.  You can scratch a mark (or use a felt tip marker) on the bolt head and the top of the cylinder head after you found that the wrench just clicked when you tried to retorque.  Then back off the bolt 1/4 turn and retorque and then take a look where the marks are.  You will be surprised how much more the bolt turns.

I do recall reading of such a procedure before...however per application there must be more steps...?

as 

1 you are relieving stress and basically starting over so bolts around are going to be tight defeating the purpose of going inside out to flow everything even in the 3 stages

2 in many applications this may ripple gasket,allow debris   and AF in if running to pre warm as required