jeff311

Interesting call from CNH today

So guys,

As most of you know, I replicate some large outdoor IH dealer signs. Some are backlit and some are not. I've been in contact for a month now with the Marketing Director at CNH in Racine about their purchase of one of my 24 x 96 red pylon LED lighted wall signs. They are building a large indoor static display in Racine as part of their 175 year celebration and a historical review of their product lines. They understand that finding a real NOS backlit sign for their display would take awhile and likely be cost prohibitive. So, they want to go "replica" with one of mine that many of you have seen at RPRU and HCOP the past few years at my show booth. OK, that's cool, no worries, I can help with that. It's a straight up purchase and I help them hang it.

So after we get the sign details hashed out I ask her if they is anything else she could use some assistance with for this display. She says, "yes, I'm looking for a few IH tractors now". I say, "do you have the last issue of Red Power Magazine?". "Why yes I do and I see you have a tractor on the cover" is her reply. So we chat about my dads tractor and how it could be part of their future display (if) that is the direction that they want to go and (if) they choose my tractor. Then she says, "this display will be there several years before it is changed around". "Whoever we borrow a tractor(s) from, this will be for awhile."

So some questions for you guys as this is all new territory for me. If you had the opportunity to have one of your restored tractors to be part of a large corporate or museum display for several years what would be some items for contractual discussion so I cover my bases up front. Again, this is a "borrow it for display" scenario and no transfer of ownership. This is 50/50 at best that they would choose my tractor this point in time but, I want my ducks in a row before I sign on for this, should it happen to fall my way. I have no problem with CNH wanting to display this tractor in a climate controlled environment for a few years. How would you handle it if it were your tractor on the request line?

Wouldn't hurt to talk to your insurance guy ( liability stuff, etc) and maybe a lawyer if some sort of "loaner" contract would need to be made.

I seen the word borrow and for a longer period of time.

It would be an honor and it appears you may do it.

I would see if you can get transportation, both ways, for the tractor. That would be no more than right. I would also want access every few months to protect my investment. It should still be started and exercised at least twice a year. Will probably need a new set of batteries after. A few things to think about. 

Get everything in writing as people leave and then nobody knows anything. That way you can also prove you own it.

Really don't know if I could do it. I'm a little too possessive I guess. It would really be an honor though. Like said get everything in writing.

I'd let them borrow/loan it as long as it doesn't carry some sort of sentimental attachment.  That way if it gets stolen/lost/destroyed/caught in some legal battle it's not your dad's/grandpas/your first/etc tractor.  Apart from that, congrats on them considering your equipment being nicely done that they want to show it off!  IMO they need to get as much RED in their display as possible to eliminate any orange/white. :D

Just now, drglinski said:

I'd let them borrow/loan it as long as it doesn't carry some sort of sentimental attachment.  That way if it gets stolen/lost/destroyed/caught in some legal battle it's not your dad's/grandpas/your first/etc tractor.  Apart from that, congrats on them considering your equipment being nicely done that they want to show it off!  IMO they need to get as much RED in their display as possible to eliminate any orange/white. :D

Unless im mistaken it is his dads tractor....

Talk to Red Reaper I believe CIH hauled his 1206 all the way to Disney world for a dealer meeting, he may know how they are to work with.

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

Talk to Red Reaper I believe CIH hauled his 1206 all the way to Disney world for a dealer meeting, he may know how they are to work with.

I was going to suggest that as well.

I'm having a hard time understanding why Case IH is having a hard time finding display tractors????? Doesn't the company have any collectables on hand? I'd think someone in the company would have a collection...seems odd. Certainly seems like they could afford to "acquire" a few. I sure wouldn't do it for free if they used my dad's tractor. They sure as heck don't let me borrow any of their equipment without paying through the nose for it.

What about some of the bigger collectors in the area not far from Chicago. To me the Farmall 806 serial numbers 501 and 502 (first gas fast hitch and first Diesel 3 pt) should be in a display like that. Or what about one of the preproduction 1206's with serial numbers like 501, 502 , 503, etc. If I were the CIH people I would like to have one of the first of the best tractors IH ever built. Another choice would be the Farmall M (early 1939?). Maybe a Super M-TA also. Or even the prototype M-8 that escaped the torch. This tractor had many features that were adopted by IH in the next 15 years. Definitely a display with some of the "first" tractors would get a lot of interest from equipment buffs like me. Maybe even an IH 4300 if one is close. This is the great, great, great, granddaddy of all the Case IH  4wd type tractors. Or even the Steiger #1 machine built by Douglas and Maurice Steiger. If these tractors were all in one place that display would be definitely worth travelling to see it.

Thanks for the reply's guys. Always good to get perspective from others.

Part of my conversation with them yesterday was that same line George 2. I told them that as "That Emblem Guy", I had knowledge of many, many fine collectors within a 200 mile radius of Racine they could reach out to. They did say that (at this point), they did not have a favorite (IH) tractor that they were interested in.  A couple of things to keep in mind. This is CNH in Racine. Not IH In Rock Island. Corporate CNH has multiple lines to represent in this display not just IH. The have limited space as this is not a huge museum,  just a time-capsule sampling across each product line. There will be items from Case, IH, Ford, New Holland, Steyr, Fiat and a few other lines. And, this is corporate in Racine. They have to be neutral in their approach although they tend to bleed orange and cream. I wish this display was the size of a football field or two so all the lines could get multiple large items to view but, that does not appear to be the scenario.  It's not my place to impose what I think they should create.  They understand that whatever IH model number(s) they choose for this display, I can probably get them a contact name for them to pursue a NICE restoration piece.    

I do concur with George 2 that a first serial number model would be a cool draw in a room full of other brands. Especially on anything from my interest of 1950-1970's.  If this thing falls my way, it would be an honor to have dads 756 on display next to one of my large replica signs at CNH corporate. If they pass on my tractor, I'm happy to send them whichever model direction they dictate. I will still have a long term draw to the display as it appears like the 8' pylon sign is going to be in the middle of the room forever. It does sound like they could swap things out with different tractors/implements every few years to keep the display fresh. Again,  I am not in the loop as to their master plan...I'm just a penny on the sidewalk.  

Don't sell yourself short Jeff, you're not a penny on a sidewalk, more like a $20 bill laying there with all your money.  I would consider it quite an honor to have my tractor and sign there, even to be considered.

9 hours ago, Pete1468 said:

Don't sell yourself short Jeff, you're not a penny on a sidewalk, more like a $20 bill laying there with all your money.  I would consider it quite an honor to have my tractor and sign there, even to be considered.

X2  Eason

I think Id ask for a free lease on a Maxxum in exchange for the duration.:D

Where can we see the signs?

I don't know that I'd be able to give up a tractor long term.  It's a cool idea if it was short term but I'd be too concerned about its care (or lack of).

I think it would be quite the honor. 

My thoughts off the top of my head:

It would probably not be started or warmed up for the entire time, consider that in your decision.  It would be in a heated showroom, much better than an unheated storage shed (Jeff, I don't know anything about your storage, just an example). Also probably cleaned quite often.  

I might require some minimum of security to ensure people stay off and fingers don't touch or take. 

If they offer something in return - great.  I think I would do it even if nothing was offered.  But you may feel differently.

Have a plan in case of emergency (health or financial) heaven forbid, and discuss with your insurance agent.

I always like to know I have an out, so maybe upon written notification you would be able to remove item with 30 days notice or similar.

Good luck either way!

After what Case New Holland did to our local dealer after family business of 93 years i would not let them display a toy tractor of mine.

they dumped our local dealer down the road and kept the JA up the road about 60 miles. 

Are you licensed through CNH to reproduce those signs? I know they used to very picky about selling unlicensed products.

1 hour ago, FarmallFan said:

Are you licensed through CNH to reproduce those signs? I know they used to very picky about selling unlicensed products.

Thats where I thought this story was going when I first started reading it

If the tractor sits for years, NOT started and drove often,-- It will be junk when you get it back!!!---Cover the care of the tractor IN WRITING before you say I do!!!

The display is an honor, BUT make darn sure you are covered from ALL angles!----just my .02!! thanks; sonny

I've jumped through my share of hoops on these replica signs with the CNH Licensing & Merchandising dept. 

I will be getting more info tomorrow from the Dept Mgr on the placement of the sign in relation to the ceiling height of the room. She wants me to fabricate and incorporate a specific design of pedestal for this sign to rest on that is common to the display. The primary mount is still the wall brackets, this will be a secondary mount of their specifications. It's over-kill but, it's their dime for my time.

You guys have had some good thoughts here to put to paper if the opportunity arises and the tractor is chosen for exhibition.

What an honor to be considered. 

My funny bone wonders why they don't buy that HTA for display discussed in the other thread . ;)

2 hours ago, bitty said:

What an honor to be considered. 

My funny bone wonders why they don't buy that HTA for display discussed in the other thread . ;)

"NEIN"   Lol

Hey Jeff , I have my dads semi on display at the I 80 Truck Stop museum , it is my truck and we agreed that they could have it down there for as long as they want . It sits in a heated and air conditioned building so it's really nice and people can enjoy the truck , my dad would be proud 😊

I can't remember Jeff but if that tractor of your dads is a gas tractor put that airplane gas in there because it has 10 year shelf life so your good . If it's diesel put additive in from Stanydine and hope for the best .

Danny