Sign in to follow this  
Matt Kirsch

Speaking of Elwoods

The auction was today, and the mystery is solved for anyone that was curious. It is your average everyday run of the mill mechanical Elwood on a tri-stripe 1086. Had I not bought the 15, I may have taken a chance on this 10.

The tractors actually looked better in person than in the pictures if you ask me. Maybe it was because of the cold (13F). Everything looked like it had been painted with latex house paint except for the combine.

The 1086 brought $5900.
The 3788 brought $3400. Can't remember what they said was wrong with it. 
The 7210 brought $18,000. 

elwood_small.jpg

Looks like the EL cheapo front end I installed on a 1486   Brand new frontend  looked like  a Dana 44 diff  with  a spider gear type reduction in the wheel. Worst  job of welding I had ever seen on the top of the axle  to attach the mounting for the pivot pin   It had a racheting slip clutch   on the drive shaft. 

By chance did you see the other tractors and the combine sell? I had a funeral to attend so I didn”t  get there. Thanks

The combine went for 89 thousand, Steiger went for 20 thousand the 4230 with hydro front end went to phone bid in Nebraska for 11500 I think

On 12/6/2017 at 12:41 PM, 660 driver said:

Deere used FWA with orbital motors driven hydraulically didn't they? Maybe a couple of those found their way onto others as well? I know this one probably isnt but I thought I heard a few did.

They still do on road graders, allows the frt drive wheels to turn L & R and lean both ways to resist sliding sideways due to pressure from moldboard.  The HFWA gets pushed harder on a grader than it ever did on an ag tractor, 40,000-45,000# machine, 275 hp.  Some construction companies use their graders to push dirt scrapers,  highway dept.s use them on big V blades busting thru big snow drifts.  The road commissioner I worked for always ran a 6x6 Austin-Western because they worked so much better plowing snow. You got into very big drifts you had to chain up front wheels which normally tore up a u-joint somewhere on the long curved front driveshaft.  It was actually quite surprising how much snow they could move with a C-65 truck with 20,000# in the box.