1066 with spare parts in hydraulic filter housing

I am new to this forum but have been reading over the information since buying my 1066 a few months ago. This tractor was purchased at an auction so I know next to nothing about it’s former life. When I brought it home I noticed a growling noise in the rearend but everyone assured me these tractors tend to make a lot of rearend noise. I brought it home and have not done much with it since. I finally got around to doing the full service (hydraulic, engine oil, air filters, fuel filters, and coolant filters) that I wanted to complete before doing any major work with the tractor and the first thing I started with was the hydraulic service. When I pulled the filter I found the screen and filter were covered with small metallic bits and just a few very thin (thinner than a soda can) metallic pieces the  size of your thumbnail. After removing the filter I fished around in the housing checking for other pieces and found a 1/2” round by 1/2” tall spacer or retainer of some sort. The fluid was not terribly dirty and the plugs didn’t have an excess of grime on them. My gut says the growl and the spare parts I have found are related. The axle seals are not leaking which some suggest generally rules out axle bearings as a issue. 

I was hoping someone could identify the piece in the picture as I was wondering if it’s possible the shaving and part came from the PTO assembly. The PTO seems to work as it should (I pulled a fertilizer spreader over 6 acres when I first got the tractor home to see what worked and what didn’t) but I thought the metal flakes appeared to be clutch material upon my initial inspection  some of the flakes can also be seen in the photos. 

Any suggestions are appreciated. 

99B05F5F-C663-48E6-BDCB-03A3E3D6E2CD.jpeg

C4C85146-BDB4-4A23-8F48-12F87AFA67E4.jpeg

If it wasnt for that round thing i would of guess differential is goin! My ten started flaking the diff till it finally busted the cross! And if your lucky you would need cross and little gears! I wasnt lucky ate the cross the gears and ruined the diff case so that added another $700 to the bill! But with that circle not sure thats your problem

Just now, Gleaner k2 said:

If it wasnt for that round thing i would of guess differential is goin! My ten started flaking the diff till it finally busted the cross! And if your lucky you would need cross and little gears! I wasnt lucky ate the cross the gears and ruined the diff case so that added another $700 to the bill! But with that circle not sure thats your problem

Your clutch material cant get in the rearend! 

Ya I would take that range cover off and see how things look. 

There is a chunk of that shifter bushing missing that could easily account for your shavings. 

Use an inspection mirror and check everything you can see from that range cover. 

As far as rear end noise goes the bull gears are pretty noisy especially at higher speeds so unless it's a growl or grinding noise it's probably normal. 

By the way baldfarmer welcome to our little corner of the interwebs! Oh and another thing we like pictures!

That is definitely a shift detent roller. I'm 99% sure it would be from the range section. It's kinda difficult for detent rollers to make it from the speed trans section back to the hyd filter.  Detent rollers from the speed section are found when that section is drained.

Its most likely broken because it went through the range gears before it ended up in the bottom of the housing. 

As others have said, pull the platform and range cover and give a look. IIRC you want to pull the cover with the Range shifted to Hi.  At least it's that way on the 06's.  

Good luck and welcome!

Big tractor.  Very small debris.   Like they said, check under the range cover, if that roller is missing, replace that and run it.    There is a chance it was already repaired....and that metal was left over from before (and you could just have sloppy shifters in general).    There are also after market rebuilt range cover shifter kits that are very popular, under $200 I think, if you want to start tightening it up.  

I agree that looks like a shift detent roller, as I have done that repair quite recently on the 706.  If you guys think it could get to the filter housing, I'll buy that, since I don't know one way or the other. 

But something no one has mentioned ----

On a 06 (and I assume a 66) when you service the hydraulic filter, its hard to get that filter to stay in place while you put the cover back on.  I guess about every single one out there has an "aftermarket improvised spacer" under the filter to hold the end up while you put the cover back on.  Bolts, pieces of pipe, tubing, nuts, whatever, as long as its about 3/4" to hold the filter up.  That little piece may be a shift detent roller, but it might have been intentionally put there to make changing the filter easier. 

Then again, a 1066 may be totally different.  Just a thought.

45 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

I agree that looks like a shift detent roller, as I have done that repair quite recently on the 706.  If you guys think it could get to the filter housing, I'll buy that, since I don't know one way or the other. 

But something no one has mentioned ----

On a 06 (and I assume a 66) when you service the hydraulic filter, its hard to get that filter to stay in place while you put the cover back on.  I guess about every single one out there has an "aftermarket improvised spacer" under the filter to hold the end up while you put the cover back on.  Bolts, pieces of pipe, tubing, nuts, whatever, as long as its about 3/4" to hold the filter up.  That little piece may be a shift detent roller, but it might have been intentionally put there to make changing the filter easier. 

Then again, a 1066 may be totally different.  Just a thought.

That's a perplexing thought.  I have been changing 5-6 of those filters yearly for a long time.  Can't say I've ever had a problem with placing the filter.  Adding metal to help hold it, I just can't see that actually being "a thing" that would actually get performed. 

I don't know if you drained the whole rear end or not but you need to.  When you do it use a clean pail and check each section you drain for filings .  Each axle housing, center housing and front drain plug under speed transmission.  There is nothing in the shift mechanism itself to cause that amount of steel to be in the filter.   Axle bearings can definitely go bad with no sign of leaking.  When range cover is off to repair shifting mechanism you can inspect for pinion bearing problem.  You need to determine where that metal came from or you will stand a very good chance of further damage.    A usual spot for metal to accumulate is underneath the hydraulic pump.  Metal from bull pinion bearings or gear will also end up in axle housing . 

• 1 year later...

I have a similar problem on my 454 Ive changed filter 4 times in the last month small metalic shavings stopping up Filter and Screen Ive had the range cover off and Lift top but seen no where the shavings are coming from  what is the most popular place the Bull Gear or Axle Bearings any help is greatly appreciated