Beware of scammers!!! Tis' the season

ThirdGenRed

I figured I would give you all a heads up on a new scam I was just hit with. Received a phone call and the caller ID displayed     Discover Card 1-800-347-2683.

I answered and the guy on the phone said "Hi, my name is Rick and I am with the fraud department of Discover Card. We have seen some charges on your card we would like you to verify. I need to verify it is you I am talking to, your account is xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx?

I said "Yes that is correct." 

He said  "Your mother's maiden name?"

I told him.

He said " The last four of your SSN?"

I told him.

He said " And your birthdate?"

I told him.

He said "OK that is verified. We have seen some charges that do not look correct. We have one from Wal-Mart for $334.78."

I said " That would be incorrect. I do not ever shop at Wal-Mart. "

This seemed to make him stumble in his easy going rhythm. 

He then said " There is another for $1200.00 for"

I stopped him and said" No way, that one is definitely fraudulent, because I haven't charged that much at one time anywhere in the last month on a credit card."

In the background I heard a dog bark and what sounded like a sliding door close. I immediately thought, something is not right. He then started talking again but it was broken and garbled. The call ended, but he called back and again the caller ID showed Discover Card.

He said " Sorry about that, don't know why the call dropped."

I said" Do you have an extension number so I can reach you because I am having trouble hearing you."

He said "Just call 1-800-Discover or 347-2683 and talk to anyone in the fraud dept."

He said something else garbled and then hung up.  I felt I just got phished because I heard the dog barking and the sliding door close, I immediately called Discover Card and asked if any of their agents work from home and if there was any fraudulent charges on my account. The agent said that he didn't think any of the fraud dept. worked from home and there was no suspicious charges on my account. I told him what happened and asked what the scammer could do with the information I gave him. He said he will have the same access to your account as you do so you need to change your account number. I told him "Do it." This happened yesterday around 1:30 PM and got a replacement card at 9:00 AM this morning. I have Lifelock and notified them and the bank and the other credit card company that I have. Lifelock also said I needed to file a report online with the FTC which I did. 

This scammer was smooth, maybe he had previously worked for Discover or another credit card company. If he wouldn't have spoofed the caller ID, I think I would have never fell for the scam. The mother's maiden name, last four SSN, and sometimes birthdate are legitimate questions asked by the credit card companies for verification when you call in. The world is a changing place, I remember when I opened my first checking account in high school, my checks had my full SSN right on the front. In fact, in Iowa, your driver's license number was your SSN many years ago.

I feel like a fool, but wanted you all to know what is going on right now so you don't become a victim. I think from now on when I get a call from the bank, insurance company, or credit card companies, I will ask for their extension number and then call them at their place of business with a number I know is correct. A friend of ours received a call on his cell phone from his house number on the caller ID. Thinking it was his wife and an emergency, he answered it. It turned out to be some solicitor trying to sell a vacation cruise , but being sent from his house phone number.

I also wonder if the scammer was going after Discover Card because of the cash back bonus. With the information he had, he could have possibly gotten the cash back bonus money, and it might not have shown up right away because it was not a charge on a credit card which can be disputed.

With the holidays just around the corner, I am sure there will be more scams popping up so be vigilant and be very cautious who you give your personal information to.

Sorry to hear that!  I just had a long talk with my parents ( 89 and 96 years) about this as my Mom just got that same call. Fortunately she did not give any information. Always hang up and call the # on the back of your card!

Another one is calls that have a familiar number or even a name you know, these thieves will stop at nothing to try and get you. Also watch for Phishing emails with the subject: "URGENT" or "VERY URGENT" and again often appearing to come from someone you know.

washington had hearings this week about spoof #  and authorization to get them blocked,somehow it disabled 911 with out authority to rework  they were stuck  and you know there is another six months of vacation due them

maybe next year....beware

This is a very relevant topic and it's good you were on top of it so quickly.  

Something that sent up red flags in head from your OP were the questions they were asking you.  If a bank or credit card company calls you directly they already have the information regarding maiden names and date of birth and last four of SSN and would not ask you these questions.  If an actual bank or credit card company suspected fraudulent charges on your account they would tell you the time and amount of purchase and exact location of purchase.  It has also been my experience that you will be contacted in writing if they suspect fraudulent charges and will some documentation along with a file or claim number.

Please be vigilant out there with personal information. One small misstep can lead to a mountain of headache.  9 out of 10 times if someone solicits you over the phone in these situations its a scam.  Holidays when there's lots of activity and right before tax deadlines (April 15) are when the scammers unleash their fury onto unsuspecting victims.   

7 hours ago, TomH said:

Sorry to hear that!  I just had a long talk with my parents ( 89 and 96 years) about this as my Mom just got that same call. Fortunately she did not give any information. Always hang up and call the # on the back of your card!

Another one is calls that have a familiar number or even a name you know, these thieves will stop at nothing to try and get you. Also watch for Phishing emails with the subject: "URGENT" or "VERY URGENT" and again often appearing to come from someone you know.

If you use a program like Mailwasher it lets you look at what is in your inbox before you download.  And you can see the internet address that they came from.  Some of those big name - urgent type emails can have very un-big name addresses that sent them.  And it lets you delete without downloading.

Got a call the other day like this. I asked right away, "Let's get this over quick. You want my money, how much do you want and where do I send it?" That baffled him. CLICK

A friend was threatened with jail by the IRS if he did not pay with a Wal-Mart gift card. He said, "Good, come and get me, I want three hots and a cot with cable TV." CLICK

I like the anal leakage one. Will have to use that one. 

No one gets my social security # anymore. The doctor don't even need it. It has been way overused and this has caused the problems we now have. Whats the difference verifying your name and DOB or social. It is still you verifying it. 

It is sporting to play with these people as they called you and want to steal from you. Have some fun!

my granddad is 84 and I keep in the loop with what all phone scams are current. he then plots his soon to be conversations. seems a lot of the Dr.s  and medical supply companies are selling the info because a certain group of men get the same calls from same # and they have the same problems and suppliers. I love twisting them up and if they call with an indian accent I have an Indian accent too, where ever they are form Im right down the road. if im in the mood ill twist them up.

8 hours ago, Long Farms said:

my granddad is 84 and I keep in the loop with what all phone scams are current. he then plots his soon to be conversations. seems a lot of the Dr.s  and medical supply companies are selling the info because a certain group of men get the same calls from same # and they have the same problems and suppliers. I love twisting them up and if they call with an indian accent I have an Indian accent too, where ever they are form Im right down the road. if im in the mood ill twist them up.

Love it  and Jass1660 's reply .

I ask them to give me their # and I will call them back at their dinner hour and my Indian/  neighbor will be calling and be able to speak their language for me .

I usually get a F you and hang up . :lol:

Tony

I was getting the IRS call that said that they were on the way to arrest me, on a regular basis, so the last call I got from them, I told them that I was the local IRS agent and hadn't heard a thing about the raid!  Haven't been called in over a year!

jerry

If you have some time to kill check this guy out. He messes with scammers until they get mad. He'll get them thinking they hit it big and string them along forever, wasting their time and perhaps keeping them for scamming the vulnerable. He even got control of one scammers computer and shut the boiler room operation down! If the link doesn't work just search hoax hotel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnNlJNSRxa3PF8XrKHOEPug

When I was practicing law my office was across the road from the 7-11.  One Friday evening a women showed up in my parking lot as I was leaving.  She was bawling her eyes out and had a wad of cash in one hand and her cell phone in the other.  The IRS threatened that if she did not send money by Western Union within one hour they were going to come to her door and arrest her!  Unfortunately the SOB hung up before I could give him a piece of my mind!!  Thank God I happened to be in the parking lot at that time or she would have sent it!  He had her completely distraught and it took me a good ten minutes to convince her that the IRS did not work like that and would send a letter before they called!

If you are not sure do not answer any questions the scammer is asking you or better yet do not pick up the phone let them say a message on the answering machine. Be careful never give personal info on the phone or to strangers

The local radio news just had story woman had purse stolen with cards and phone. The bad guy texted hubby as wife saying she forgot pin numbers. Before she knew purse was gone bank account was cleaned out and cards maxed out.

Archived