hank1010

TD 6 compression release lever

Hank, All good suggestions here to check and confirm. I kept looking at the linkage behind the manifold and I couldnt see the plate on the vertical rod that goes up to the head to open the start valves. THis plate sets between the "V" flipper that opens and closes the main manifold butterfly valves. If this plate is missing, there is no mechanism to close the main butterfly valve on gas cycle and open them when you convert over to diesel cycle. It may be there and I just dont see it from the angle of the photo. Keep up the good work, Jim.

Hank,

Whats happening on the 6? I know its cold out there now. You may just be resting waiting for some warm weather? 

Regards,

Chris

There is a small rod which is welded to the side of the fat part of the starter mechanism, this actuates the "v" fork on  the butterfly shaft in the intake manifold, yours is missing. Mine broke off & it took some head scratching to work out what was going on, the parts diagram just shows it if you look closely.

reggievon

I have had this project sitting under my barn as I was working a lot over the winter!   I will be getting back to it this month!   I have had a few people want to scrap it!  But that won’t happen!

Hank all ideas are good on here. I did go back and looked at your pic of the vertical rod-looks like you do have the plate that goes between the v to activate your butterflys. It is the flatbar looking thing that almost touches your spark plug boot. Another thing to try (if your intake is still off) Activate the v flipper with your GLOVED hand. I say gloved because if it snaps over like it should, the sharp edges can draw blood. It goes over center very fast! If not, check under the end covers. There are either a single spring on one end, or like my 400D wheel tractor, there will be a spring on each end to snap it over. when it is together and you change from gas to diesel, or back, there should be a pronounced Snap-Bang. Good luck!

As Gaby mentioned above (or below) Take the manifold assembly to your bench (somewhere warm) and clean up and lube the shafts that operate the butterfly valves. You should take the front cover off the manifold and check the springs on the rotary switch (where the wire comes out) clean up the contacts in there.  Since your engine has a magneto, this is a grounding switch to ground out the magneto on diesel cycle. It should be open circuit on gas cycle (V pointed up)  and a closed circuit in diesel cycle (V shaped lever pointed down).

I would recheck the spark timing to be sure. With plugs out, bring #1 cylinder to TDC on compression. You can check this by putting you finger over #1 plug hole and when you feel air pushing out it is coming up on compression stroke.  Now pull the magneto cover off and check to see that the rotor is pointing at the #1 wire tower ( or just before it) put the #1 wire on the removed plug from #1 cylinder and ground the plug to the block or frame. As the engine is pulled over TDC, the mag will click and you will see a spark at the plug gap. If you have spark, do the same for next wire, which should go to #3 cylinder, then #4 cylinder, then #2 cylinder.

If when you pull the cap, the rotor is pointed to some other position, Pull the magneto from engine and rotate the drive cup until the rotor is pointed at the #1 wire tower.  The magneto drive flange has 2 flat bars that need to go into the 2 grooves on the driving flange on the front cover. Make sure these line up properly before tightening the bolts

If your decompression is not set to start (gas) cycle, no compression will be made at spark plug holes. So if no pressure is felt at #1 hole, check to make sure the lever is set in the start position before you try to determine the spark timing matter.

Try posting a picture of the lever and linkage so we can see what you are dealing with. Good Luck, Jim.