LED TVs vs. cold weather

Jesse in WI

I would like to put a flat screen LED tv in my shop.  It is only heated in the shop when I'm working in there in the winter.  Most weekends and a possible weeknight when I have time.  I am concerned about the cold winter temps in WI killing the tv.  Anyone else have any experience doing something like this?  I don't want to spend a couple hundred on a tv and have it go bad in a matter of months.

Thanks

Jesse

I may find a few answers in a week or two

have 1 LCD left over from project   too big for house so in shop loft   called MFG  says 0 -4   know it was  -12  unplugged

they said leave to room temp for 12h  then plug in

in your case would check with MFG as to intended use cycle

they all have different component brands + internal heater systems (instant on etc)  my crt 23"  instant on's but  the,cooler the temp less picture ...likes 75*+     the house is not that hot artificially ...so will be inspecting for frozen crystals and ??? making 42 fit in 23" +5 space 

We got an LG 42" smart TV 5 or so years ago.  It is back lighted with LED's, like almost all flat screens it is LCD for picture.

No issue with normal room temps BUT it has never been operated in cold weather. 

An instant on CRT had/has to keep the cathode  heater on warm all the time.

'TV sets get left in houses that are frozen all the time, I expect an LED will work much better at cold temps than an LCD, but I can't imagine any major problems, the only thing you may ultimately find though is that it gets a lot of condensation from hot/cold cycles with rapid change. That may be the real problem more than the cold itself 

It's not apples to apples but,  I'm going to electrify the machine shed this winter and put in lights. I went to my electrical supply and told them I wanted some cold start flouresents. They told me to go with the new LED's instead. They said that LED's are instant on, cold doesn't bother them. 

Not the same as a TV, but probably similar technology.

Copied from Samsung's website:

What Temperature is Best for My TV?

Operating Temperatures

thermometeredited.jpg

Samsung TVs can operate safely in rooms or areas in which  temperatures range from 50° F to 104° F (10° C to 40° C). Temperatures outside the listed range will negatively affect the operation of your TV.

Samsung TVs can be stored unused at temperatures ranging from -4° to 113° Fahrenheit (-20° to 45° Centigrade). Storing your TV at temperatures outside this range can damage your TV.

Archived