Hello,

It has been sometime since I posted, but I figured I would give an update on my project. It has been a long one, constantly delayed due to work, other projects and weather, rebuilding an engine in a open sided shed during the winter is not the most pleasant.

loaded onto the trailer when I first got her 

20160209_131641_HDR20160210_110949_HDR

Last August I pulled the engine on my 1966 IH 500, due to finding camshaft parts lying on the bottom of the oil pan. 

20160819_100204

After pulling the engine I was able to order most parts from Fawcett.ca, including new pistons, camshaft, crank shaft and bearings etc. 

20160816_144455_HDR

Then everything sat until a few months ago when I resumed disassembly of the engine 

20171003_161012

Make shift sleeve puller

20160908_134929

I forgot to take photos during the installation of the internals.

new items are:

New camshaft, crankshaft, all new bearings, cylinder sleeves, pistons, water pump, rings and one new con rod.

Inspected the oil pump and all looked good and to spec. the head was sent to the shop to check checked out and tuned up.

I had issues with the new cam bearings during install, they ended up being slightly too small. I had to send it to the shop so they could line bore the bearings.

20171002_155645

now with some paint

20171002_163221

Had issues getting out the pins from the old crank. nothing a little heat won't do.

20171005_154029

managed to finally wrestle the flywheel and bellhousing on

20171005_154421

Engine is finally back in the old girl!

20171005_183658

Now I just need to find the reverser pump's suction pipe that goes through the bellhousing. Only part that I have seemed to have lost. Crap...... 

for some reasons your pix are invisible ?

16 hours ago, Kevingweq said:

for some reasons your pix are invisible ?

are they better now?

all set :)

You have taken on a large project! But the machine looks like a good one. How is the running gear? sprokets track adjusters and such? Steering? You may not know yet?

Coming along nicely! Engine looks ogreat and should power the machine for another 50 years!

Good pictures too. Nice work are under cover!

Regards,

Chris

20171219_144031

Fabricated the missing suction pipe - we will see if it will work and not leak

Also installed an upgraded hydraulic filter

20180102_142559

20180105_154622

Got her mostly together, still got some wiring to fix and need to update the glowplug system to some new fast glow plugs.

So this afternoon I finally bled the fuel lines and chased some fuel leaks. starting to severely dislike the brass fuel fittings and the PO's use of vise grips. After a few battery charges she fired up, we got oil pressure, exhaust looks good, and she sounds really good!!! but..... I noticed a pretty substantial engine oil leak coming from the right rear side of the engine between the flywheel and oil pan. Not sure where that is coming from or what I forgot.....  

Bd154,

You have made a lot of moves on this  tractor! I sure hope the oil leak is a minor fix?

Thanks for the pictures and the update.

Looks like working around that loader frame is similar to what I do on the old TD6 too. Not easy for the most part!

Regards,

Chris

Great job and work on the 500, having to have the cam bearings line bored really wasn't a great idea for those who try and do inframe rebuilds. As for the oil leak my guess would be an oil passage plug is missing at the back of the block, let's hope not, but then again, what ever it is, might still mean pulling the motor or atleast the clutch/flywheel to see and get to. Good luck

Good news is the Hydraulics work great and the engines is running awesome. 

So far I need to find a new spot for the hydraulic filter. it is hard to see in the picture but it is located next to the hydraulic controls. One benefit to this location is it is easy to change.

20180122_14361120180122_143557

With the lovely loader arms up and out of the way it is a little easier to work on the engine.

Here are some pics of the oil leak:

20180122_14405020180122_143730

the rear seal may be installed wrong or I forgot to install the dollar plate at the end of the camshaft. Item 15 in the diagram 

20180122_152609

Now I am waiting for the snow to disappear so I can position my tractor to lift out the engine again.