cbfarmall

450 Diesel project

This project actually started about 8 or 9 years ago.  Picked up a stuck 450D cheaply, I hope but don't remember.  Knew nothing about these diesels other than their storied reputation.  Pulled the head, dropped the pan and ended knocking the pistons and sleeves out as stuck assemblies.  Once clear, the pistons tapped out easily and were all quite usable.  I had to replace one cracked sleeve but put it all back together with new rings.  I didn't spot any cracks in the head and there was no antifreeze in the oil when I took it apart.  Once I sorted the gas side out it was running.  One diesel line was leaking where it had rubbed against another line.  Brazed that and replaced a couple others.  I pulled the pump that was filling with diesel and sent it out for rebuild.  Once, I played with the tractor a bit, the TA was obviously no good and it needed some seals and was generally pretty beat to heck.  I found a 400D hood sheet to replace my missing one.

450d_1.jpg

450d_2.jpg

This tractor was not at my place.  My buddy who hauled it let me stash it at his place.  Unfortunately, we had a falling out that I cannot recall why.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, when my buddy and I reconnected.  I spotted my tractors looking quite forlorn and sitting on flats.  My 450G came home first since it rolled readily.  The 450D dragged both wheels which turned out to be stuck brakes.  A few minutes on the housings and I got it loose and my dad and I proceeded to pull it back.  I had already checked the oil and antifreeze so I let out the clutch slowly on a gravel road and the engine spun over.  Once we got closer to home I got her into gear and let my dad try to pull start it.  About the 15 seconds of gray smoke then the black smoke started.  Drove it the last quarter mile home.

450s_1.jpg

I had an easier time getting the diesel to start and run than the gasser.  Seemed to run better than I remember.  I fixed a steel hydraulic that had rotted from being buried in dirt under the dash.  I may have put the cart before the horse, but I picked up new rims to replace the old rotted and welded junk on the tractor.  I had been hanging onto a decent pair of 15.5 38s from my 560 for this old diesel not knowing if I'd get to use them.  Replaced the axle seals as that was only one step further.  Looking much better now.  This is the state of the tractor as of today.

450D-10.jpg

450d_11.jpg

450d_12.jpg

450d_13.jpg

450D-14.jpg

For now, I'll spent the winter strategizing and gathering parts for a TA split, engine seals, trans seals, clutch.  I need to get a battery box, lights, you name it. 

The front tires are new 9 years ago and still look good.  The rear aren't new, obviously, but they are solid and matched.  The old tires were way mismatched, holes in the sidewall with tube sticking, and someone had managed to stretch a 13.6 across a 14" rim.  Looked funny.

Now it looks a little rougher.  Engine was stuck but not hard.  Freed it up in less than an hour with some rocking in 5th.  Tires are still good.  Water did its damage to the fuel system and I had to replaced the rusty and leaky gas tank.  Could not get the carb to adjust smoothly after I ultrasonic cleaned it and Cuda cleaned it. The bowl had been full of water and was gelled when I tore it down--horrible condition.  When I borrowed my Super M carb and got it running perfectly, I bought a reman and solved that problem.  I suspect the old one has a hole or crack internally.  Power steering on this one works great.  9 years ago, I replaced the priority valve with a Steel Wheel Ranch rebuilt.  All I really have to do is replace the steering arm.  The old one somehow twisted and created a bit of toe out.  TA is good as well. 

450_10.jpg

450_11.jpg

And this last piece of the 450 collection.  9 years ago I picked this NOS IH heat houser for the 400 series tractors.  Blue canvas says Farmall.  I replaced the windshield which had spider-webbed and warped with some polycarbonate.

450 houser.jpg

Thanks.

Other than needing paint, the steering bracket, and some seals, the gasser is done.  All the hard work was done years ago, especially figuring out why the powering steering didn't work.

On 10/1/2017 at 5:23 PM, cbfarmall said:

My heat houser installed.  This one is exactly as described in Guy Fay's book.

20171001_162243.jpg

that is really neat! Thanks for sharing!

Nice looking tractors! I spent last winter going through my 450G last winter. Resealed everything on the engine except for the head gasket, resealed the entire hydraulic system front to rear, new TA, completely rewired it to 12 volt, Isolated the power steering to its own system, checked ALL of the bearings in the rear end, transmission, and TA housing, and replaced any that were bad. Then I resealed the entire rear end, transmission, TA housing, and PTO assy. I put a ton of work into making it a useable chore tractor, but have come to the realization that I love my 460D much more, and it will be much more useful, so I decided recently that I'm gonna sell my 450 come spring time. No reason to hang on to it to take up room in the already crowded barns, especially if it's not gonna get used. Besides, my first love is diesels anyway . 

Ross

I'm about to proceed with splitting the 450D for TA and clutch job.  At first, I was considering using a loader to pull split the tractor from the front back but couldn't get comfortable with that idea.  I acquired a good splitting stand instead so I can do this the smart way.  Clutch is here and a TA kit is right behind it.  

I'll be putting a good set of main hyd lines on.  My old ones have been cut into and spliced with a hose.  Pretty ugly.  And, I want to reseal the pump and replace a bunch of o-rings while all that's apart.  No sense in double work.

My only concern is the rear main.  My IPL shows the felt style, but I've heard of rubber oil seals being installed.  I know the crank pulley is different then my IPL shows so only time will tell.

IMG_20180216_52205.jpg

Looks like your going ahead full steam! Hope everything goes well. Where did you get the splitting stands?

On 2/19/2018 at 3:17 PM, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Charlie's Repair.

Correct.  Had a nice conversation on the phone and the stand showed up 2 days later.

Chris B.

On 2/18/2018 at 6:45 PM, ThePunisher said:

Looks like your going ahead full steam! Hope everything goes well. Where did you get the splitting stands?

I'm about to go full steam.  Unless this rain doesn't stop and my tractor ends up floating down the river.

Before I split I want to dump the trans, fill it with my old diesel, and drag it around in gear to rinse the gears and bearings.  No time like the present.  

By springtime, I'll have both of these turkeys ready to paint.

Chris B.

More done today in prep for the TA split tomorrow.  Got rid of my old, mangled hydraulic lines and found some nice replacements.  The right side hood wouldn't sit down properly with that spliced tee and large hose.  Lot of stuff had to be moved to do the clutch split.  IH sure packed the diesel tight around those frame rail bolts.

Buddy said his neighbor has an original WFE for 300 bucks.  Weighing that against no power steering.

Chris B.

IMG_20180222_33665.jpg

IMG_20180222_45303.jpg

My neighbor swung by to check out what I was wrenching on.  He sure is fascinated by my old junk and the fact that I have a collection of 230 plus chainsaws.

Chris B.

Got the split done yesterday and rebuilt the TA housing.  Not a hard job, just have to take your time and do stuff in the right order.  Those internal case seals are a pain to get in straight.  Found the IPTO drive shaft on top munched some so I ordered one of those and a set of bearings.  The trans pilot bearing was pretty well trashed so one of those $110 bearings is ordered as well. 

I had to bail on the rear main seal.  The neoprene type on my motor is long obsolete.  Didn't seem to leak much, if any.

Flywheel is already finished so I'll be wrapping up that part of the job. 

Still want to get a bunch of other seals done while the trans in empty and I'm waiting on parts.

IMG_20180223_1826.jpg

IMG_20180223_37280.jpg

IMG_20180224_13363.jpg

IMG_20180224_17776.jpg

On 2/22/2018 at 2:35 PM, cbfarmall said:

My neighbor swung by to check out what I was wrenching on.  He sure is fascinated by my old junk and the fact that I have a collection of 230 plus chainsaws.

Chris B.

Wait?   What?   Another thread please

2 hours ago, cbfarmall said:

Got the split done yesterday and rebuilt the TA housing.  Not a hard job, just have to take your time and do stuff in the right order.  Those internal case seals are a pain to get in straight.  Found the IPTO drive shaft on top munched some so I ordered one of those and a set of bearings.  The trans pilot bearing was pretty well trashed so one of those $110 bearings is ordered as well. 

I had to bail on the rear main seal.  The neoprene type on my motor is long obsolete.  Didn't seem to leak much, if any.

Flywheel is already finished so I'll be wrapping up that part of the job. 

Still want to get a bunch of other seals done while the trans in empty and I'm waiting on parts.

IMG_20180223_1826.jpg

IMG_20180223_37280.jpg

IMG_20180224_13363.jpg

IMG_20180224_17776.jpg

Looking good

7 hours ago, AKwelder said:

Wait?   What?   Another thread please

Look at the picture of the motor on the splitting stand.  Some of my saws are in the background.