Last,spring, due to more hyd issues with the 4320 and engine issues with the 3010, Dad borrowed the neighbor's 2090 to finish planting.... and fell in love.

He just found a clean 2290 with 4100 hrs on CL, oh-oh.

It will only see 50 hrs a yr use for another few seasons before he figures out this farming is just too much work for someone in his 80's.

Anybody see a good reason to tell him to stay away from it? 

Ran a 2290 from 88 until 05 and not a bad tractor. Had the early front end and spindles  were made of glass it seemed like. Put 4000 hours on it during that period as mostly pulled hesston stakhand and grain cart. Had a 1086 to use along side it and they were about nip and tuck. In about 99 we had the bolts break that held the clutch pack together and it took about 1500 to split it and repair. 

The mechanic told me who had known this tractor since new (it had 1500 hours when i purchased it) that if you use the high performance filters and changed the fluid every other year it would treat me good.

Traded it off in 05 but did enjoy that tractor as it always ran cool. Was a little harder on fuel than the 1086

neighbors have a 2290 open staion that has been in the shop way more than it has been working. trouble in the power shift packs, i think. they bought it used, so who knows what kind of care it had before they got it.

50 hours/ year isn't much. if it is ok now and seller is reputable, doesn't seem likely to have it crash and burn on 50 hrs/yr use.

A lot of people speak well of case tractors. Theres something about being reverse and running the pto for extended periods of time on those i thought.

We have a 2090 (108 pto hp)-------the 2290 is basically same tractor with a turbo on the engine.

Bought ours used several yrs ago with 1325 hrs-------and run it 50--75 hrs per yr.  I preferred it over any of the J-D or IH models of that era------for what we wanted to do with it.  (I am 74 yrs old-----plus my son is a big guy-------we both liked the large cab and power shift)  I had run 1370s in the past------so was familiar with the system.  Easy tractor to operate.

I would recommend checking it out closely (hoping to get past service records on it).

Re:  reverse and pto

You can't operate the pto with tractor in reverse for pro-longed periods of time due to lack of lubrication to the planetaries.  No problem operating for short spurts such as reverse with a bush-hog-------where you shift back into forward (slow planetaries down) and lubricate again.  Reckon----no problem with snow blower if you kicked back into forward on a regular basis--------but I am in Mississippi and don't know much about snow blowers!!!!!

Be glad to provide you a list of what all I would watch/check for if needed.

Edit:   the 94 series is the most updated version-------preferred by my local Case dealer service manager (if you see one available).  But we are happy with our 90 series.

DD 

If you like Case tractors, you will like a 2290.  It is just that simple.  They have a good cab and all the hydraulics you normally need.  If you like that power shift system that means a lot as  often it is  a big issue with other brand lovers.  There were differential updates that a lot of them did not get from what I know because the customer was to pick up the labor on the repair when out of warranty.  We never did any of them as the only ones eligible the customer didn't opt for it.   A service record would be nice to have to look at any potential unresolved issues.  

BIl has a 2294. He's ruff on equipment and this one seems to be holding up for him pretty good. I wouldn't be afraid of a 2290.

Rick

I would not be afraid of 2290 in my area I know of about 15 different ones all on dairy farms getting used hard and seem to hold up well.  One big dairy got one with 35000 + hours on it running vertical mixer. He told me it set at 180hp too. The 2290 has bigger crankshaft than a 2090 to a few variations with the 504 motor

8 hours ago, Mac81 said:

I would not be afraid of 2290 in my area I know of about 15 different ones all on dairy farms getting used hard and seem to hold up well.  One big dairy got one with 35000 + hours on it running vertical mixer. He told me it set at 180hp too. The 2290 has bigger crankshaft than a 2090 to a few variations with the 504 motor

15 wow! You would be lucky to find 5 around here. Local case dealer i knew of was northfield. The rest were IH dealers. Case must have had a good following/dealer network there. Ive been in one but never driven it. Drove one of those crab steer units once for about 15 minutes.

Lots of 90 series case tractors up here. Like most brands, if they were run with care, there isn't much problems. Some parts are getting hard to get for the transmission and hydraulics, from what I hear. Lots of wrecked ones around though so should be used parts available. I prefer the 94 series with the little bit nicer cab and electronic power shift. One issue with the 90 series is the shift cables would stretch over time and it may not be fully in gear from what I understand, and that's where most of the power shift problems came from. The 94's don't use cables so there is no issue there. But just keep the 90's adjusted right and they shift super smooth

21 hours ago, pete23 said:

If you like Case tractors, you will like a 2290.  It is just that simple.  They have a good cab and all the hydraulics you normally need.  If you like that power shift system that means a lot as  often it is  a big issue with other brand lovers.  There were differential updates that a lot of them did not get from what I know because the customer was to pick up the labor on the repair when out of warranty.  We never did any of them as the only ones eligible the customer didn't opt for it.   A service record would be nice to have to look at any potential unresolved issues.  

My 2290 went thru the update and they even replaced the rear end  housing.  

Well.... dad is the proud owner of a Case 2290 with 4133 hrs, and my inheritance dropped another $10500. Tractor is straight and clean, though it could use a cab kit. Everything works, and it appears that it received proper maintenance. It was an extra tractor on a larger sized crop farm, it mainly spent it's time running augers, pulling gravity boxes, ect. The guy claims to be the 2nd owner and has had it 17 yrs. Said he's never had to do any work on it, but didn’t know the history before that.

Anybody have an electronic copy of the service and operator manuals for these tractors? If it does need any work, I know I am going to be the one stuck with it.

Sounds like a good buy! That's fairly low hours for that tractor, or around here it would be. Should work well, and just remember, NEVER step on the clutch if it's in power shift 2 or 3. Especially 3. Always shift down to 1 then push the clutch.

I have a case service manual, but not a electronic version. I could send pics from it if you ever need and are stuck though.

On Sunday, October 01, 2017 at 11:42 PM, db1486 said:

NEVER step on the clutch if it's in power shift 2 or 3. Especially 3. Always shift down to 1 then push the clutch.

Just wondering what kind of damage this does. I know the shifter automatically returns to 1rst if you do step on the clutch pedal.

Dad is roading it home as I write this. I just advised him to shift down first as he already was in the habit of clutching in the higher ranges.

50 minutes ago, Cattech said:

Just wondering what kind of damage this does. I know the shifter automatically returns to 1rst if you do step on the clutch pedal.

Dad is roading it home as I write this. I just advised him to shift down first as he already was in the habit of clutching in the higher ranges.

Cracked windshield from your noggin. It  is just a semi violent downshift at road speed.

On 10/1/2017 at 11:42 PM, db1486 said:

NEVER step on the clutch if it's in power shift 2 or 3. Especially 3. Always shift down to 1 then push the clutch.

Why? When you push in the clutch it shifts to 1st for you, why make extra work with your hands....

Much like a TA, never use it to slow down a load. We've got a 2090 and a 3394. I got the 3394, for a song cuz it had a noise in the PS. Dad and I split it ourselves, cost 1800 to fix the 2 speed PS. Best thing I ever bought.

Cattech------worth noting:

Make sure the PTO engages with enough effort to feel it snap into DETENT.  The 2090 has a hydraulic assisted DETENT function coupled with a spring loaded "ball" DETENT.

We burned out the pto clutch plates on the 2090 by operating pto with the cable not pulling into full detent.  The pto would partially disengage allowing the clutch pack to slip.

After replacing the pto clutch pack (and cleaning pick up strainer, changing filters, as well as filtering the hydraulic oil)----we realized the cable was not snapping into DETENT as it should.  I installed a small shim washer behind the spring against the DETENT ball at the recommendation of my dealer service manager.  Now takes pretty good effort to snap it in--------and considerable effort to disengage.  Service mgr stated it to be OK just as long as it disengaged  when engine was shut off (hydraulic pressure disapates).

Something that I should have realized------but did not notice since we were not working the pto hard-------but it was slipping.

Hoping your dad enjoys the 2290 (I think he will)-----was thinking about y'all this weekend when I was Bush Hogging the overgrown road on my nephew's duck hole with the 2090.  Not my intentions-----but first time to have been mowed all summer.  We have been extremely wet--------and this old codger has not always been running himself.  Power shift and inching pedal were extremely useful in these conditions where in some instances I was "feeling" my way.

20171001_150701.thumb.jpg.d6e96e4ee609a5231e48f5541e846ccb.jpg

20171001_145703.thumb.jpg.bc7bbb4c1fded3343e11223cf1a7610d.jpg

Good luck to you and your dad.

DD 

Thanks for all the replies and advise. Dad got it home last night, it made the 70 mile trip without missing a beat. He's going to give it a good bath and clean up the interior, I'm going to adjust the valves and make sure all the shift cables, ect are adjusted and working right & it should be field ready.